SpyGlass

Solid hull - suggestions please !

A mate of mine wants to build a ship model of modest dimensions with 2 or 3 masts.

He is pretty insistent he would like a solid hull ("cant be doing with all that plywood !")

He is a skilled model maker in other fields so he is not looking for  a real model not a toy.

I cant find any kit that  matches what he is looking for  (the old solid version of Rattlesnake seemed close )

Does anybody have any suggestions ??

Edited by SpyGlass

The Phantom or Sultana would be good choices. If they still have a Dapper Tom kit that would be good as well. All are two masted schooners of different periods and all are solid hull construction.

Russ

Echoing the suggestions.

Model Expo sounds like the best bet.  They have a few different solid hulls with 2 mast.

Phantom, Sultana, Katy Cory, Harriet Lane (if looking for something a bit unique)

Model Exp Solid Hulls

-Adam

Hi Spyglass,

I'd suggest looking at the Bluejacket kits. All those mentioned here so far are 2 masted schooners. Along those lines, I've built a model of the Mary Taylor from scratch basically using the BlueJacket kit plans. Also have the kit sitting around here, which seems pretty nice.

Tim's suggestion of the Smuggler I think would prove to be an interesting build. I have the instruction book for it and it's very detailed.

Also, they have some 3 masted schooners and square riggers, all solid hull.

There is also the resurrected AJ Fisher company which has been re-releasing some old solid hull kits: http://www.ajfisher.com.

If you're set on a Model Shipways kit, there are also the old yellow box kits that show up on Ebay all the time. Instructions are usually pretty limited, but I really like the old George Campbell plans, which still show up in some of the older, but current, Model Shipways kits.

Clare

The Sultana has a nice practicum available online for free that can be printed out. If it was lost in the crash, I can provide a PDF of the original that I downloaded.

Ken

I'm doing the Harriet lane right now, is he sure he wants solid hull? They have their own unique challenges ... Feel free to check out my build. If he is as handy as you say he should be fine

Thanks a lot gentlemen.  That is really much more than I had hoped for.  It would appear that there are a  lot more solid hulls available in the US.

Why he wants solid hull - perhaps he is fed up at my cursing as I describe my planking progress !!

I wil pass the ideas on thank you.

Edited by SpyGlass

If you are still taking suggestions, I recommend Model Shipways SULTANA.  Model Expo offers a practicuum by Chuck Passaro (MSW Moderator).  It is simple but turns out a very nice model.  It can easily be bashed so that the solid hull is planked over.

After reading your last ost, let me modify that....  planked down to the waterline, then solid below that.  Mine is painted below the wale but natural above.  No need for swearing and throwing things.  Save that for the rigging.

Edited by Chuck Seiler

Thanks everyone - he eventually went to  AJ Fisher and has gone with just the carved hull for Sovereign of the Seas.

I had no idea that there were so many solid hulls available.

Hi Spyglass,

That A.J. Fisher Sovereign of the Seas hull is a big piece of wood! I'm sure he'll enjoy the build. I have the A.J. Fisher plans as well as Chapelle's plans from the Smithsonian and then those in the book How to Make a Clipper Ship Model by E. Armitage McCann. Some of the info is a bit dated, but he might find something useful in these. Also, since the ship was one of the McKay clipper ships, Model Shipways' excellent Flying Fish instructions and plans should prove helpful on the small details in particular.

At minimum, I suggest your friend download the Flying Fish instructions from the Model Expo website as it's a free download and might prove useful. 

Clare

P.S. Traditional American ship modeling is solid hull really. Sometimes, it's hard to get ship modelers to take them seriously because they don't have planks and frames and they aren't like the beautiful, historic admiralty models. But, they are beautiful in their own right and it is easier to get a truly accurate hull shape since the hull shape is what the solid hull is all about - no thoughts to framing, planking and such, just shape of the hull.

Edited by catopower

Thanks Clare .

My friend has a name - Dave Simpson - and he has promised to start a log on here when he gets the hull.

Be interesting to see his approach - he has a background in architectural model making.

Paddy - probably better to re-ask that question in the " Building, framing...." Forum - more people who know things will see it there

Steve