HMS Agamemnon by boris279 - Caldercraft - 1/64

Hello

As i can not find my old log back, i will have to start with a new one,

Last year i ordered the HMS Agamemnon, in the UK, after so waiting it arrived here on the island, but after inspection of the box, there where 2 sheets missing, contacted Caldercraft in the UK and spoke with the owner John ( a very friendly person) he told me to send the parts by post, but now after 6 weeks waiting still nothing, spoke last week with John again, seems that the postal service on one of the ends screw up, so he will send the sheets again but now with a parcel service, so still waiting for the missing parts, and a screaming model on my desk waiting to start with pffffff....how frustrating waiting on something you wand so badly !

to be continued.....

Martin.

I emailed Caldercraft last week. I had an issue with the belaying pins for my Snake - but I have not recived an answer.

Mort

Current Build - Caldercraft Victory

Completed - Artesiana Latina Swift, Harvey, MGS Prince de Neufchatel, Imai USS Susquehanna, Mamoli Constitution, Rattlesnake per Hunt Practium, Caldercraft Snake, Diana, Kammerlander Duke William 

Waiting to be Launched -  Bluejacket Constitution

Proud member of The New Jersey Ship Model Society

• 3 weeks later...

:dancetl6: :dancetl6: :dancetl6: :dancetl6: :dancetl6:

YES !!!

Finally received my missing sheets, afther 2 months waiting,

John the owner of Caldercraft, by the way a very friendly person, send me the 2 sheets by parcel service , took only 3 days !!, first attempt by regular postal service let me wait for a long time, to receive nothing at all !!

But now i have my sheets !!, so i can start this great model .

Will start to post my first pic's soon

Martin: Congrats on joining the Aggy club. She is a big beast of a kit but fun to build. You will find her size a bit intimidating but it will get easier once you start she her hull lines coming together out of all the bulkheads and planks...

As a fellow Aggy builder let me know if you need any help on the hull construction (Im finally getting into planking the spar deck).

Regards

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

Member, Nautical Research Guild

Ok.,. I'm confused... who's log is this?   Boris or Mort's??????  Boris (Martin) has the first post, but the title indicates it's Mort's.  Does it need to be changed?

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Consider it done, Martin.  We want anyone who searches for your builds to be able to find them.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hello Martin

Yes when I looked yesterday I was also confused whose log this was. Good to see you got your missing parts. Jotika are usually

Good with sending anything of this nature. Anyway you just enjoy building your ship , it's pretty big!!!! Regards DAVID

Hi Martin,

When fitting your bulkheads be carefull with No 4, mine is a little smaller and it went unnoticed untill I started planking, the result is a small dip in the lines which will have to be taken out with filler on completion.

She is a big slab sided beast and 1st planking seemed endless for me, I hope your experience is better.

Good luck and keep those updates coming.

Mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

• 1 month later...
Hello all,

time ago that i did some posting, started with my "Aggy" and hereby some of the pic's ( tells more than words) 

started with the preparations for the first planking, did some filling in the frond and in the back, due to the fact that i could not get any soft wood like balsa, i came op with the idea to use wood filler, is more ore less like sculpturing with clay and works great for me. 

Below some pic' so that you all can see, tips and advice always welcome, so i would say shoot !!! :pirate41:

All the best so far

Martin 

post-920-0-68595700-1366280868_thumb.jpg

post-920-0-68535600-1366280885_thumb.jpg

post-920-0-12669800-1366280898_thumb.jpg

post-920-0-90217500-1366280920_thumb.jpg

post-920-0-66721400-1366280932_thumb.jpg

Edited by boris279

Hello Martin,

Great to see your Aggie is going on.

I could'nt too find balsa blocks, but I was lucky enough to find a balsa plank 1cm thick. And so I fiied the front and rear part of my ship with slices not too difficult to cut.

I have a problem to see your pictures. Did you make a special treatment? I have no access to them.

Pierre

Hi Martin,

This morning I had the same problem as Pierre but now I can see the pictures clearly!

Good start at your Aggy and I will follow you close to see what's going on.

As you can see in my signature, this will be my next build.

So, A lot of pictures will be an great help!

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Today i started with the first planking,

preparations are working fine

for the rest not much to tell about,  it is still a long way to go ;)

post-920-0-05974100-1368149187_thumb.jpg

post-920-0-43288300-1368149206_thumb.jpg

post-920-0-81322000-1368149223_thumb.jpg

post-920-0-33180200-1368149245_thumb.jpg

Edited by boris279

Hi Martin,

You've made a good start there mate.

In Pierre's log you asked if there was anything different he would do, I can only say yes to that, the kit is very good but there are a few problems. For one I fitted the stern post as per instructions and I later removed it, it wont go back on untill the 2nd planking.

When you come to the gunports you have to be very carefull, there are 3 different sizes, main gundeck are all one size but on the upper gundeck there are 2 sizes, from the bow 1, 2, 10, 11, 12, & 13 are larger than 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 & 9. Be carefull with the timber for the gunport linnings because there is only just enough, I tried a different system and it didnt work for me and I wasted a lot of the material and had to find a substute.

I hope you dont mind me jumping in.

mobbsie

mobbsie

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,

Hello Martin (my name is Martin, too by the way),

Nice work, that you have done, I wish you good luck in the upcoming stages. I only have one question, though. I am building the same model right now, and I am before the start of the first planking. I thought, however, that you have to leave the false decks there ( pinned) while you are doing this. But I see you made it differently. Doesn`t it matter how you do it, or have you already removed the decks, because you have reached the top? 

Greetings,

Martin

Hello Martin (wich one?),

I wondered also seeing Martin (wich one?) starting the first planking before planking the upper gundeck and temporarly fixing the false decks.

I am not sure it's a bad idea because cutting the gunports may be easier afterwards (?).

I follow, as much as I can, the indications of Keith Julier in The new period ship handbook. It is relatively well done.

I bought the book through Amazon and it was relatively easy.

Greetings

Pierre

Hello Pierre,

Thank you for answering. I guess you can do it either way. I personally tend to follow the main way, because I don`t trust myself enough to deviate from the description. This book seems to be a good recommendation. I will try to get a copy...

Greetings from Germany

Martin

Hello, Piere and Martin, and Mobsie

thanks for the input

The place and size of the gunports is indeed a litle tricky, did already some study on your  build and the other "Aggie" building on this side  ;).

Indeed i start without the gundecks in place, they are already finished did the planking, cut in 2 parts, so that i can place them better back in place again, 

by working in this way i am able to work on the gunports of the lower gundeck, did some scratch building in the past and worked always in that way, try to build it most of the time "open"  the building description is a guide on the "side" follow most of the time my "own" way B)

Also i worked like this because at this point i am thinking to place gun carriages at the lower gundeck, when i place the deck, there is no choice for me left.

below a few pic's with a dry fit of the deck and planking in progress.

greetz

Martin

post-920-0-55982200-1368470004_thumb.jpg

post-920-0-07679500-1368470016_thumb.jpg

post-920-0-15555000-1368470032_thumb.jpg

Edited by boris279

Hello Pierre,

I am using toothpicks to put my planking in place, first i drill a small hole with a dentist drill, than i tip the point of the toothpick in glue, hammer it in place , and cut the rest away with a sidecutpliers, this way let me work fast and the basic gets very strong, always put up my first planking like that.  

below a link of my old building log on a dutch side, there are some pic's so you can see

http://www.modelbrouwers.nl/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13984&sid=f0861bac7f203c272c7cd9e366a529b3

greetz

Martin

Hi Martin,

Never thought to fix the 1st planking with treenails, I doubt I will ever use that system but that's me. Your Aggy is looking great and the 1st planking really is very neat.

I don't know how far you have looked into the instructions but I will refer you to page 12 the heading "Yards", 4th line up from the bottom of the chapter it reads and I quote

" The foremast should be at 90deg. to the keel with the main mast having a 1deg. rake and the mizzen a 2deg. rake." unquote.

It's just one of those small details that are lost until it's too late.

mobbsie

mobbsie

Hi Mobsie

Thanks for the respond and tip,

But I am aware of the angles, did of course a dry fit, of the decks and mast's , I prefer not to put the decks in place because I would like to work on the lower gun ports and thinking to place carriages on the lower gun deck.

But anyway thanks for the tip and advice really appreciated.

Greets

Martin

No worries mate, will you be using the dummy gun barrels supplied or getting some more 24lb'ers.

Looking at my Aggy you will most definitely see the carriages although I doubt you will see any rigging unless you light her up.

Going to these details this is going to be a great build, I cant wait.

mobbsie

mobbsie