Where do I find chuck's practicum?

I am new to this site and taking up ship building again since I was a boy 40 years ago. What a help this site would have been then.

I see several references to Chuck's practicum for the Phantom and Sultana. I can't find them anywhere on the site. can someone point me to them?

They should be on the Model Expo site.  I found Sultana and here's the link for chapter 1

http://www.modelexpo-online.com/images/docs/MS2016/MS2016-Sultana-Practicum-01.pdf

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

And here's the link to the Phantom practicum by Chuck....also downloadable from the Model Expo site

http://www.modelexpo-online.com/images/docs/MS2027/MS2027-Phantom-Practicum-Complete.pdf

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

• 1 year later...

Looks like they've redone the site.  You might try emailing them and see if they still offer it.  Otherwise, I'm not sure where you'd find it.

Row, did you get to the practicums?  I hit a deadend where it says they're available but no links.

Edited by mtaylor

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Just checked the site and it seem they're up-grading the site. So far I'm not finding either ship, so they must still be re-loading the info. Not sure but maybe later they'll be back up to full capacity.

Cheers

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

If they dont put them back on the site I will fish around for the master CD;'s I have and place them somewhere on this site.

Chuck

Drat! I knew I should have downloaded all those practicums when I had the chance, got most of them though, worth their weight in gold :)

Build on hold: HM Sultana 1/64th scale

Current Build: 31 ton Doughty revenue cutter as USRC Active 1/64th scale (in progress)

Future Interests: Ballahoo, Diligence, Halifax and beyond...

I have uploaded the Sultana practicum here.....

http://modelshipworldforum.com/ship-model-build-and-practicums.php

Chuck

I will add the Phantom in a little while.  Once I find it...I know its here somewhere.  :)

A good number of the MS parts lists and instruction manuals were on the old site, they all seem to be gone now. I hope they're still updating. I was going to use those for determining some replacement wood plans for a few future builds. 

Joe Volz

Current build:

Model Shipways "Benjamin W. Latham"

Completed  builds on MSW:

Caldercraft HMS "Cruizer   Caldercraft HMBV "Granado"   Model Shipways "Prince De Neufchatel"

I'm sure they are as they just added a link for trumpeter models which is currently empty.  Should be interesting to see how their new site progresses.

Build on hold: HM Sultana 1/64th scale

Current Build: 31 ton Doughty revenue cutter as USRC Active 1/64th scale (in progress)

Future Interests: Ballahoo, Diligence, Halifax and beyond...

I have the Phantom practicum as a pdf file. I don't seem to be able to attach it to this post so I've uploaded to DropBox at this location.

If Chuck or anyone wants to put it in the forum space they're welcome. I'll remove it from DropBox in a week or so.

Tony

Seems like ModelExpo removed all the goodies like practicum(manual) and related plans for their kits, I found out because I wanted to download the material list for one of the kits. This as I like to have another copy or pre-copy before ordering.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

The new location of the practicum (and others) is here:

http://modelshipworldforum.com/ship-model-build-and-practicums.php

Cheers,

Brenticus

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Jack, you have debauched my sloth!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Completed Logs: HMS Patrician, frigate, 32 guns (converted Lindberg Jolly Roger 1:150)

Completed Build Gallery: HMS Patrician

if you do not find it on the model expo site call them and ask. from what I was told they are working to bring the updated site "up to date"  it sounded like they had a big change to stuff in how the site works and are getting it fixed as they go fwd.

Holding at Rigging stage :

MS Bluenose 1:64, rigging and finish work

Building Hull :

MS Fair American 1:48

In the yard:  18th Century Longboat, Model Shipways Kit

Done: AL Bounty Jolly Boat

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

What you need to realize is that the practicum was originally  written for a classroom project and NOT for home use.  Several new builders were working on the Phantom with my help and we met twice a week.  We worked on the model together in a classroom environment.  I was asked to also allow the MFG to place it on their site and I said it was OK.   Folks thought it would be useful.  The references to drawings in my guide were pointing to the actual instruction manual which came with the kit at the time...about 12 years ago.  My guess is that the instructions have changed or at least the pagination.   

It is what it is.  Still worth every penny....free.  But if you have a question...dont be shy, ask your question in the appropriate forum or start a build log.  

Chuck