Utrecht by flying_dutchman2 - Scale 1:48, Dutch Statenjacht of 1746 - Finished

I had some walnut from Corel which split when I merely looked at for bending, so I got me some (better?)  which split when I bent it very far. I would recommend steaming or boiling water ... the laminating sounds like a good idea

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Discarded the walnut and created the railing with poplar strips. 

Glued in the deck beams, redrilled the holes in the hull and jammed toothpicks with a bit of glue in them. 

Laminated 2 strips (1x6mm) of poplar together and glued on the outside of the toothpicks and 1 of the same strip on the inside of the toothpicks. Added scrap wood to fill in the gaps between the strips. 

It will be finished off with 2 x 2mm strips laminated on top totalling 8mm in height. Cut out the strips on the inside including the toothpicks where the pavilion sides are glued in. 

Out of 3mm thick balsa cut out the pavilion sides and laminated 1/64" veneer to the front of it. Dry fitted the sides and the windows and the front. 

My overall width of the boat is 6mm too narrow, so I had to sand down the sides of the pavilion front. Furthermore, my Stern piece is going to be a little higher than what the plans show. 

Now that this is all done, I will be working on the deck. The pavilion floor will be a couple of mm higher than the deck as the tiller goes between it. This is what the plans show. 

Marcus 

Utrecht, Hull and railing .jpg

Utrecht, top of railing .jpg

Utrecht, pavilion, dry fit 1.jpg

Utrecht, pavilion, dry fit 2.jpg

Current Built: Zeehaen 1639, Dutch Fluit from Dutch explorer Abel J. Tasman

Unofficial motto of the VOC: "God is good, but trade is better"

Many people believe that Captain J. Cook discovered Australia in 1770. They tend to forget that Dutch mariner Willem Janszoon landed on Australia’s northern coast in 1606. Cook never even sighted the coast of Western Australia).

Glued the two sides and the front of the pavilion together. Most of the pavilion wall areas will be covered with carvings

Paint color:

Pavilion outside is cobalt blue. 

Inside is Prussian blue. 

Pavilion front is Prussian blue and the molding is cobalt blue. 

All window are titanium white. 

The window frames are yellow ochre. 

Inside of the railing is cadmium red, medium. 

Marcus 

Utrecht, pavilion painted 1 .jpg

Utrecht, pavilion painted 2.jpg

Many people believe that Captain J. Cook discovered Australia in 1770. They tend to forget that Dutch mariner Willem Janszoon landed on Australia’s northern coast in 1606. Cook never even sighted the coast of Western Australia).

NICE. Looking good Markus.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Worked on the Stern and noticed that I was off by lots of mm. Tried to adjust that but it only got worse. So I trashed the Stern but saved the window frames. I spent a lot of time making them. So tomorrow I will re-cut the Stern, make windows and fit the frames. 

Marcus 

Utrecht, pavilion Stern frames .jpg

Auch!  And it was so good looking to. But - - the redo will be even nicer.

Cheers,

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

VOC Ship Surabaya

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

That hurts ... not the fact that you need to redo the stern, cut it and build it up again, we have all had that, but the resulting sad image of your frustration ... I wish you good luck with the work to be done.

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Piet, Patrick, Hans, and cog, thank you for your encouraging words. I can put a long post together of all the mistakes I have made, but this one is a "Big One". 

If I am off by a few mm than I can adjust it but if it is more than 5 mm, and I try to adjust it, it won't look right and at the scale of 1-50 cm it gets out of whack fast. 

The problem: 

The bottom of the Stern windows need to match up with the side windows and they didn't. The bottom of the side windows compared to the bottom of the Stern windows are 5 mm to high.  So I am leaving the side windows as is (instead of redoing that as well) and raising the area above the Stern windows by 5 mm. I don't want to widen the 45 degree area where the top of the rudder is. That looks weird (I tried that as well).  

The carvings will be as is and where there are gaps, I will add filler pieces. 

The carvings are going to be cherry. This wood carves nice. I am also keeping it simple. Non of the frilly stuff. I have broken many pieces by putting in too much detail and the piece I kept simple,  looks good. All of these pieces will be painted Yellow Ochre. 

Below is a piece that goes on the top of the Stern. Still needs to be sanded. 

Marcus 

Utrecht, Stern carving 1.jpg

If you want to make extra pieces of ornamentation you can take a medium thin thread (0,5 mm or so), make it stiff with some glue (white glue f.i.) and paint it afterwards in a gold or black or so. In this way you can add extra lines and so.

Hans   

Owner of Kolderstok Models - 17th century Dutch ships.

Please visit www.kolderstok.com for an overview of the model kits available   

1 hour ago, *Hans* said:

If you want to make extra pieces of ornamentation you can take a medium thin thread (0,5 mm or so), make it stiff with some glue (white glue f.i.) and paint it afterwards in a gold or black or so. In this way you can add extra lines and so.

Thanks Hans, that is an excellent idea 

Marcus 

Very nice job on the carving Marcus.  

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Yesterday I cut out almost all of the carvings on the scrollsaw and today penciled in some simple lines that follow the curves. I am doing some of the examples of the plans but will omit the intricate stuff. Keeping it simple. Be creative in my carvings. Made a lot of diplicates as well. 

Marcus 

Utrecht, carvings 1.jpg

Question for the Dutch members who have seen the replica of the Utrecht more than once.

The lion is holding a shield with his front paws, what are the two colors? Top color and the bottom color. 

Nowhere in the Hoving book is their a picture depicting this and I have scoured the Net of Utrecht images. 

This would be much appreciated. 

Thanks 

Marcus 

I went to Google.nl and searched for statenjacht Utrecht and came up with all types of pictures. Areas that need to be painted a total different color. Also found additional items that are not included in the plans. As I am going to model it like the replica, I am going to omit the canons. 

Marcus 

Piet,  I made a few pictures (but unfortunately not of the Lion),  can send them to you. Please have a look on my website (kolderstok.com) and reply via the given email on that site. I can send you the pictures then.

Hans   

Owner of Kolderstok Models - 17th century Dutch ships.

Please visit www.kolderstok.com for an overview of the model kits available   

Hans, 

Thank you for the picture. It is a better one than I saw on Google. The gray part was new to me. I will go to your website and check it out. 

Marcus 

So instead of the carving the canon wreaths, I am replacing those with port hole covers. Will file them down somewhat, paint them yellow ochre and, voila, done. 

This Wednesday I will meet a member from the north west Indiana woodworkers Association (a club I joined recently) and go through his stash of wood cut offs. There is a lot of basswood and balsa that I know of. Also, brass, copper, stainless steel, aluminum and other metals in strips and wire in various thicknesses. At the last club meeting I mentioned that I can use any cut offs that anyone wants to part with. After the meeting several members came to me and asked if I can use cherry, ash, alder and apple. I said yes, and I will have it in the December meeting. 

Utrecht, port hole sub. 2.jpg

Utrecht, port hole sub. 1.jpg

Canon holes have been filled out and painted on the inside with medium cadmium red which is the same color as the inside of the railing. Still need to do the final coat of the cadmium red and the outside in cobalt blue. Transom is cut out and painted as well. Inside is Prussian blue and outside is cobalt blue. 

Created a carving peg board. Took a piece of pine board and drilled 1/4" holes every 1/2" and every 1" all over the board. Took birch and left over cherry dowels and cut them in 3 and 4 cm lengths. The piece that is in between the pegs is the River God carving. I cut it out with a hand jigsaw and added pencil marks which will be carved out and painted yellow ochre. 

The pieces on the blue cover still need to be carved. The red is cherry and the white is maple. 

Utrecht, Canon holes completed 1.jpg

Utrecht, Canon holes completed 2.jpg

Utrecht, carving peg board .jpg

Utrecht, carvings cut out.jpg

Looking really great Marcus.  I love these Dutch ships from this period.  I have the various Seawatch books from Ab Hoving - one of these days I hope to start scratch building a few of them.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Tbit late, I had a number of pics uploaded in picasaweb. I can't give a link to these as google decided to stop the service.

I'll have a look at home, check wether or not I can upload them

The grey thing the lion is holding is the sign of the cityof Utrecht (red and white)

Jan

Mike, 

Love these boats as well. My next boat is the Boyer, one of the 17th century merchant boats. Picked this as it is a large model so I can add lots of details and it has a beautiful looking stern. 

Piet 

Thanks for the info. Found lots of Utrecht pictures on Google.nl.

My first attempt to do the figurehead in sculpey. Made a piece of 3 x 1 x 1 inches. Backed it at 275F for 30 minutes. Glued a picture on it and rough carving with an xacto knife.

Marcus 

Utrecht, figurehead, sculpey .jpg

Utrecht, figurehead, sculpey 1.jpg

Comment for the Dutch members as they would understand the following statement. 

The sculpey cuts and shaves like "Hele oude Leidse kaas". (very old Leiden cheese) 

I wish I had some. Yumm. 

Marcus