Utrecht 1746 by flying_dutchman2 - FINISHED - Scale 1:48 - Dutch Statenjacht

Have a pleasant trip Marcus and have a merry Christmas and a great New Year.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

• 2 weeks later...

It was an awesome vacation and Machu Picchu is an amazing feat when it comes to architecture and engineering. Stone building blocks for structures are without mortar and fitted so well together, you can't slide a credit card between them. 

Back to the boat, glued all the carvings on the pavilion and started working on the figurehead. Made a frame from brass and molded the sculpey around it. Baked and filled it to show the parts of the body.

It does not look like a lion, more like a fierce Sci Fi creature. Maybe an Orc. I like it.  I will paint it with the same colors as the lion. Working on the shield it is holding. The pins will be painted cobalt blue and glued in the crown. They are now showing where they will go. 

Marcus 

Utrecht, carvings 8.jpg

Utrecht, carvings 7.jpg

Utrecht, pavilion front .jpg

Utrecht, stern .jpg

Utrecht, figurehead 1.jpg

Utrecht, figurehead 2.jpg

Utrecht, figurehead baked 2.jpg

Current Built: Zeehaen 1639, Dutch Fluit from Dutch explorer Abel J. Tasman

Unofficial motto of the VOC: "God is good, but trade is better"

Many people believe that Captain J. Cook discovered Australia in 1770. They tend to forget that Dutch mariner Willem Janszoon landed on Australia’s northern coast in 1606. Cook never even sighted the coast of Western Australia).

Note: I gave the wrong info on the potato. There are 2800 varieties of potatoes in Peru. The other 200 are available in the rest of the world. We visited a market and there were so many on display. There is even one that is completely dry which has a very long shelf life. Just soak in water, heat up and eat. Great for camping and the space station. 

Lots of good food. Peru has 3 climate ranges. So they grow both temperate and tropical foods. 

Marcus 

Many people believe that Captain J. Cook discovered Australia in 1770. They tend to forget that Dutch mariner Willem Janszoon landed on Australia’s northern coast in 1606. Cook never even sighted the coast of Western Australia).

Started on the bow (lower and upper cheek and top cheek rail)  which is a very demanding project. On the left I made many templates from thick cardboard. On the right cut outs in different thickness and wood types 

2nd picture: lower cheeks are done and one upper cheek which still needs to be cut and glued. 

Marcus 

Utrecht, bow components 1.jpg

Utrecht, lower cheek & 1 upper cheek .jpg

Finished the lower and upper cheeks and together with my orc (lion) glued it together. Still need to add the top cheek rail. The bow is difficult project. Lots of trail and error. 

Glued 4 quarter inch cherry dowels together and started sanding the windlass. 

Marcus 

Utrecht, figurehead & cheeks 1.jpg

Utrecht, figurehead & cheeks 2.jpg

Utrecht, windlass, filing 1.jpg

I am about to do the deck and I need to know how the planking is done. Do the planks follow the length of the boat? Or, is there a different way. Pictures if possible. 

Thanks 

Marcus 

Deck is completed. Making a template that will show where all the deck items go. Still need to drill the holes on the deck and fill with black chalk and wood filler to imitate the trunnels. 

Marcus 

Utrecht, deck 1.jpg

Utrecht, deck 2.jpg

Utrecht, deck 3.jpg

Nice work on the deck Marcus, looks like you figured it out okay for yourself. Yeah, trunnels should look really good on this deck.

Cheers,

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

VOC Ship Surabaya

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Patrick and Piet thank you for the comments. 

Piet : the black chalk was a disaster. As careful as I was with inserting it in the holes and vacuuming the excess some of it still got into the rest of the deck after I sanded it. So the deck has some light streaks of black. Must have gotten into the wood grain. The deck looks "used ". 

Tonight I am doing a show-and-tell for my woodworkers Association on model ship building. Let people know that I can use their cut offs. 

Marcus 

Something that might be of interest to tell:

Oak was never used for decks, because it becomes very slippery when wet.

Pine etc. doesn't get slippery when wet. Therefore decks on model ships are always done in light wood.

Hans   

Owner of Kolderstok Models - 17th century Dutch ships.

Please visit www.kolderstok.com for an overview of the model kits available   

2 hours ago, *Hans* said:

Something that might be of interest to tell:

Oak was never used for decks, because it becomes very slippery when wet.

Pine etc. doesn't get slippery when wet. Therefore decks on model ships are always done in light wood.

I wouldn't have expected the decks to be pine, as it dents very easily ... sailors with bare feet ... splinters ...

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Worked on the bits, re-did the 2 pieces that go across the deck that hold the sail (can't think of the definition). The rings that hold the ropes for the canons (which I will omit). Also finished the heart block from Ash. 

At my woodworkers meeting I was given lots of cut offs and the treasurer mentioned that if I want his Dremel lathe I can have it for free. So next month I will be getting that. Looked it up on line, can't find any good pictures 

Marcus 

Utrecht, bits installed 1.jpg

Utrecht, bits, rings installed .jpg

Utrecht, deck fittings ready .jpg

Utrecht, deck balk .jpg

Utrecht, heart block sawing .jpg

Finished all what belongs on the deck and railings, such as the windlass, cathead, scuttle doors, cleats, bits and the two wooden pieces that hold the sheet blocks that hold the main and forestall. Working on the anchors and combs. 

After that is my favorite part of ship building (masts, yards, sails and rigging). Already shaped the master and added the throat halliard block. 

Marcus 

Utrecht, windlass & catheads.jpg

Utrecht, scuttle doors .jpg

Nice progress Marcus, she's really looking nice.

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Thanks Patrick. 

Picture of the throat halliard block and my serving jig (balsa block with two smaller pieces nailed in with stainless steel insect pins and two altered clothes drying pins held into place with toothpicks). 

My woodworkers Association gave me a full 3'x2'x4' box full of 2"x3"x12" of balsa and basswood blocks and 1/8"x4"x24" sheets of basswood. So I am using the balsa blocks to make jigs. Once they are not needed anymore, I will be using them for filler in between the bulwark. 

Marcus 

Utrecht, throat halliard block .jpg

Utrecht, serving anchor .jpg

On 2/1/2018 at 7:52 PM, Piet said:

Nice progress Marcus, she's really looking nice.

Cheers,

Piet, 

Thanks for the comment. 

She's coming along. Before I place the anchors, I need to paint the bottom white. Either by brush with acrylic white or spray can. I don't have an airbrush. Then after that I'll give her a coat of polyurethane to protect the acrylic paint from scratching and coming off. 

Marcus 

Installed the leeboards. Used Chuck's 0.63mm tan rigging line. 

I made little round caps and drilled little holes into them.

Used a metal pin which goes through the leeboard then a cap then through the metal plate that has a filed oval opening, the second cap and under the metal slider (stainless steel) and than the pin is curved around this slider. Made it as authentic as possible. In the book of the Utrecht it is on page 94, and Jan put a picture of it on this thread. 

I like the way it turned out. The leeboards can move up and down and lateral. 

Marcus 

Utrecht, leeboard down .jpg

Utrecht, leeboard up .jpg

Utrecht, leeboard holder .jpg

Utrecht, leeboard fastened .jpg

Utrecht, leeboard parts .jpg

Placed the two anchors. I initially made 2 just in case one didn't look good but that wasn't the case.  So I opted to install both. The anchor ropping is attached to the ring using a Fisherman's bend. 

I have been reading my rigging books and want to use the appropriate knots for all the rigging. In the past I didn't care so much about what it looked like.  As I want to create a more authentic model from the era, the correct knots is the way to go. Plus it is good practice. 

The anchor hawser was then passed through the port bow hawser hole, then made four turns about the windlass. The a anchor tackle was made from a single 5 mm block with a hook and suspended on a 0.30mm tan line fixed to the cathead, through the cathead sheave and will be belayed on the pin rack. 

Marcus 

Utrecht, 2 anchors placed .jpg

Utrecht, anchor .jpg

Utrecht, anchor rope on windlass .jpg

Your lee-boards look outstanding Marcus as well as the anchors and rigging. Wow, learning al the knots for the rigging, very ambitious my friend but kudos to you for doing it.

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Piet, thank you for the comment. 

Will work a little less on the boat because of the Olympics. Gotta see the speed skating events where the Dutch will take several medals. It won't be like Sochi where the Dutch took 23 out of 36 medals, but it will be good. 

The Dutch have dominated this event for as long as I remember. 

Start working on the curved top mast which will be attached to the mast. 

Marcus 

First couple of pictures are from the boat without mast, spars, sails and rigging. 

Next, the finished mast and spars which are still unpainted. I will be adding a few extra items such as blocks for the flags. I am not going to just glue them to the flag pole and bowsprit. Still working on the blocks and deadeyes. 

Went to Joann's fabric store and bought a yard of tightly woven cotton fabric. While looking through their items, I compared it with left over sail cloth from past boats and sail cloth from former Dutch boats I built in the 80s that did not survive all the moving from country to country. 

In the picture on the left is brown sail cloth from a Friesian tjalk that I will be using for the topsail. In the middle their is a picture from the kit (from the Authentic Shipmodel Company, Amsterdam, no longer in existence) on the right the cloth I purchased today.The topsail will be washed together with the off white cloth, ironed, stretched, sails traced on it, hemmed, bolt rope attached, and final installation. The brown cloth already has the lines stitched in and lucky for me is that the distance between them is the same as the Utrecht. 

Marcus 

Utrecht, phase 2-1.jpg

Utrecht, phase 2-4.jpg

Utrecht, phase 2-8.jpg

Utrecht, mast & spars unpainted .jpg

Utrecht, sails .jpg

On another note, looking through all my books, shop notes, ships in scale, the NET etc., there is so little information about sails. It is a shame because most of us built "sailing ships". I would have thought there is more information about this subject. Maybe I need to write a Faq about this........... thinking..... 

Marcus 

Hi Marcus, your jacht looks marvelous! You are so right about your sentiments on sail cloth.  Most of us are left hanging as far as size, weave, material and color. When we consider the scale of our model, it becomes quite important trying to match the right cloth for it as well as color. We can always use a dye with white cloth though.

When I can finally start on my Young America in 1:3000 scale, what can I use???? Cigarette paper is even too heavy. Oh well, I may have painted myself into a corner on that one :huh:

I'm sure there are some knowledgeable individuals who can give all of us a good and logical answer.

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Piet thanks for the comment and everyone else for the likes. 5a85d9e8d7dd9_Utrechtmastsparscompleted2.thumb.jpg.9bc02c035b561cd2a46b41d1be2b2d16.jpg

I inherited lots of double and triple blocks and very few single. So I have been making singles from doubles. The setup below shows how. First I make the hole larger with dental drill reamer. Then fit the double block through one pin. The pins are stainless steel rods cut to size. Then I saw the block to get a single. Works great. 

Mast and spars have been painted with Mars black acrylic paint from Golden. Blocks have been attached. 

Once I start on the sails I will show the way I do it with a step by step faq. Also give some references that talk a little about sails. 

Marcus 

Utrecht, making single from double blocks .jpg

IMG_20180215_122242.jpg

I am always antsi when putting in the main mast. Measured many times to see if it rests on the floor of the hull and at the same time that it is at the height of the deck according to plans. This time the mast was too short by 6mm. So I added a piece of dowel of that length and glued it into place. Now it is good.

Also the piece of wood that goes across the deck that holds the sheet block for the main sail wasn't curved enough, so I redid this. Just need to cut to length and sand down.

The mast cleats are too big. Have to redo them as well. 

Measured the sails by using card board templates. Once I do the sails I will show how I do this in a step-by-step manner with lots of pictures. 

Marcus 

Utrecht, extended mast .jpg

Utrecht, deck balk redone .jpg

Utrecht, mast cleats .jpg

Jan, Thanks for the pictures. I followed the example and it turned out great. 

Now working on the many blocks that need an eye or a hock. Will dye the sails Monday with black tea. Then cut them out,  do some stitching, and add bolt rope. 

Marcus 

Installed the mast, but not glued, the mast ring is glued to the deck. I never glue the mast. The shrouds will hold that. Served the shrouds. The clamps on the mast hold levels to make sure that the mast stays straight. The hemostats hold all the roping taught.

Marcus  

Utrecht, shrouds install .jpg

Utrecht, deadeyes .jpg