Utrecht by flying_dutchman2 - Scale 1:48, Dutch Statenjacht of 1746 - Finished

Tips on carving?

One, Bill Short's book on rotary tool carving methods.

Two, Doris' Royal Caroline log here on MSW shows clay sculpting.

Three, The Fully Framed Model, Volume II, has a section on carving using hand tools on wood.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Druxey;

I have the book from Bill Short and will look at the other 2, thanks for the suggestions.

Marc

Current Built: Zeehaen 1639, Dutch Fluit from Dutch explorer Abel J. Tasman

Unofficial motto of the VOC: "God is good, but trade is better"

Many people believe that Captain J. Cook discovered Australia in 1770. They tend to forget that Dutch mariner Willem Janszoon landed on Australia’s northern coast in 1606. Cook never even sighted the coast of Western Australia).

• 1 month later...

Hi Marcus how is your Utretch going? Looking forward to seeing more.

I have a heavily modified model based on the large Billing Boats kit of a statenjacht my father built. It's about 35 years old now but lives inside its glass case and still looks as good as when he first finished her.

post-18517-0-57824100-1427297179_thumb.jpg

post-18517-0-53801800-1427297217_thumb.jpg

Anton T

Current build

1/78 Sovereign of the Seas - Sergal - kit bashed

1/72 Arleigh Burke class DDG flight iia/iii - Sratch built RC - no log

Waiting for further inspiration

STS Leeuwin II 1/56 scratch built (90% completed)

Previous builds - completed

1/72 HMAS Brisbane, Airwarfare Destroyer 2014 -Scratch built RC - completed

1/64 HMS Diana 1796 - caldercraft kit - completed

1/75 Friesland 1668- mamoli kit - completed

1/96 HMAS Newcastle FFG 2011- scratch built RC - completed

1/75 Vasa - Billing Boats - completed

For my next build I was considering the 17th Century Statenjacht according to Willem van Beuge's instructions. I have had his book on my shelf for a decade, went through it many times. What I like about his instructions are his classic modelling techniques. What they lack is clarity. Have been looking on the internet for a set of his original drawings, still looking.. 

post-17157-0-12754300-1427298671_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jan B.

That Billings kit was a nice kit. You write heavily modified, but what exactly did you modify (from a distance it looks about the same as my completely unmodified version) which btw did not do his terms in a glass case, so has accumulated 30 years of dust.

Jan

Hi Jan, it's the same ship but my father replaced all the carving work, made his own blocks and added small details using the book Jan B mentions above De 17eeuws Statenjacht. I still have this book also.

Anton T

Current build

1/78 Sovereign of the Seas - Sergal - kit bashed

1/72 Arleigh Burke class DDG flight iia/iii - Sratch built RC - no log

Waiting for further inspiration

STS Leeuwin II 1/56 scratch built (90% completed)

Previous builds - completed

1/72 HMAS Brisbane, Airwarfare Destroyer 2014 -Scratch built RC - completed

1/64 HMS Diana 1796 - caldercraft kit - completed

1/75 Friesland 1668- mamoli kit - completed

1/96 HMAS Newcastle FFG 2011- scratch built RC - completed

1/75 Vasa - Billing Boats - completed

For my next build I was considering the 17th Century Statenjacht according to Willem van Beuge's instructions.

Not heard of this book but just search online and nautik.nl and tweedehandsboeken.eu have it available.

For jachts you may want to look at the following:

Google - Friesescheepvaart museum - Lots of plans digitized.

Die Niederlandische Jacht im 17.Jahrhundert very detailed on everything Dutch jachts.

Marc

Many people believe that Captain J. Cook discovered Australia in 1770. They tend to forget that Dutch mariner Willem Janszoon landed on Australia’s northern coast in 1606. Cook never even sighted the coast of Western Australia).

Little History.

post-2705-0-08720500-1427301364.jpg

This painting of a Dutch yacht flying its national ensign was rendered by Dionys van Dongen probably in the 1770s.

Yachting – It All Started in Holland in the 1500s -

As much as we hate to admit it, “yachting” really didn’t start with powerboats in but in sailboats built by the Dutch in the 1500s. The word “yacht” is from the Dutch word “jacht.” So, if you consider yourself a yachtsman you have a long and rich heritage to call your own. With so much water all around and so much wealth in 17th century, little wonder that the Dutch were the first to creating yachting as a sport. And for the same reasons, little wonder that Holland is still a major yacht builder.

The Dutch Started it All

Yacht (pronounced /ˈjɒt/, from Dutch/Low German jacht meaning hunting or hunt, compare Standard German/High German Jagd) was originally defined as a light, fast sailing vessel used by the Dutch navy to pursue pirates and other transgressors around and into the shallow waters of the Low Countries. They were also used for non-military governmental roles such as customs duties and delivering pilots to waiting ships. The latter use attracted the attention of wealthy Dutch merchants who began to build private yachts so they could be taken out to greet their returning ships.

Fleet Parades Begin

Soon wealthy individuals began to use their 'jachts' for pleasure trips. By the start of the 17th century 'jachts' came in two broad catergories- speel-jachts for sport and oorlog-jachts for naval duties. By the middle of the century large 'jacht' fleets were found around the Dutch coast and the Dutch states organised large 'reviews' of private and war yachts for special occasions, thus putting in place the groundwork for the modern sport of yachting.

Jachts of this period varied greatly in size, from around 40 ft (12 m) in length to being equal to the lower classes of the ship of the line. All had a form of fore/aft gaff rig with a flat bottom and lee boards to allow operations in shallow waters.

Hail, Britannia

Charles II of England spent part of his time in exile during the period of the Commonwealth of England in the Netherlands and became keen on sailing. He returned to England in 1660 aboard a Dutch yacht. During his reign Charles commissioned 24 Royal Yachts on top of the two presented to him by Dutch states on his restoration.

As the fashion for yachting spread throughout the English aristocracy yacht races began to become common. Other rich individuals in Europe built yachts as the sport spread. Yachting therefore became a purely recreational form of sailing with no commercial or military function.

For instance, in the Anglo-Saxon period Athelstan (C. 930—Ed.) had presented to him by the king of Norway a magnificent royal vessel, the sails of which were purple and the head and deck wrought with gold, apparently a kind of state barge. Elizabeth had one, and so has every English sovereign since. During her reign a pleasure ship was built (1588) at Cowes, so that the association of that place with the sport goes back three hundred years.

In 1660 Charles U. was presented by the Dutch with a yacht named the " Mary," until which time the word "yacht" was unknown in England. Th» Merrie Monarch was fond of sailing, for he designed a yacht of 25 tons called the " Jamie," built at Lambeth in 1662, as well as several others later on. In that year the "Jamie" was matched for £100 against a small Dutch yacht, under the duke of York, from Greenwich to Gravesend and back, and beat her, the king steering part of the time—apparently the first record of a yacht match and of an amateur helmsman.

If you read this far, thank you.

Marc

Hello Marc. Am pulling up a chair to follow this progress even if a little late. Keep up the great modeling!

I really enjoyed also reading your construction of Yacht Mary, as currently am working on that same model. Have those same two books about Utrecht from Seawatch Publishing, and I find them very useful. Seems that Mamoli made mistakes with bow of Mary after reading those Seawatch books and doing own research about the Dutch statenjachts. Mary should have had a bow same to the Utrecht. 

Brian

Hello Marc. Am pulling up a chair to follow this progress even if a little late. Keep up the great modeling!

I really enjoyed also reading your construction of Yacht Mary, as currently am working on that same model. Have those same two books about Utrecht from Seawatch Publishing, and I find them very useful. Seems that Mamoli made mistakes with bow of Mary after reading those Seawatch books and doing own research about the Dutch statenjachts. Mary should have had a bow same to the Utrecht. 

Brian

Hi Brian;

Plenty of room and it is nice that others like to build these type of ships.

When I started on the Mary I followed the directions and caught my mistake after I started reading more about Jachts. Thought of ripping it all off and doing it again. Didn't do that so decided on doing another on.

There are so many varieties of Jachts. Such as Herenjacht (Gentelman), Pavilioenjacht (pavilion), Statenjacht (State), Koninklijkejacht (Royal) and then there are oorlogs jachten (Tasman had one) and probably others I forgot to mention. They all are different sizes, one more gold ornamentation than the other, etc.

There is lots of information on these ships/boats unfortunately for you they are in Dutch. But if you need info, websites, just ask.

Marc

Marc,

Excuse me correcting, but it's nautiek.nl not nautik.nl ... mixing Dutch and German ... ? You speak to many foreign tongues!

Ooops, I wasn't thinking. The older I get the more I mix up the Dutch, German and English words. They say that the older you get the more you will revert to your native language and that will be Dutch for me. This is going to great when I will be in public and ask for directions.

Marc

As long as we are mixing up along the same lines, there will be no problem :)

As long as those lines do not get Babylonian proportions, we might Jan ;)

Thanks for the vote of confidence. Will put up some more pictures of progress. Also I am going to order the rest of the wood. There are to people on eBay I have bought from before and I will get most of my material from them. They both have all Byrnes & Vandalay equipment. So I will get accurate material. The best part, they are not so expensive as some of the companies that advertise on here.

Marc

Finally got some more work done on her. I had to figure out the shape of the bow and what the stern looked like.

post-2705-0-57443400-1428324043_thumb.jpg

The shape of the bow.

post-2705-0-54196500-1428324047_thumb.jpg

The bow with a template.

post-2705-0-13818900-1428324051_thumb.jpg

The part that is carved in the middle is the size of the piece. Will remove the side to even it out.

post-2705-0-65168100-1428324054_thumb.jpg

I use pins to keep the bow in place when I glue it to the rest of the structure. and here I show the drilling of a hole.

post-2705-0-86817000-1428324056_thumb.jpg

post-2705-0-57567800-1428324059_thumb.jpg

Glued together and the pins will keep it aligned.

post-2705-0-95735900-1428324061_thumb.jpg

Clamping everything.

post-2705-0-17439600-1428324036_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

Skeleton ready for sanding

post-2705-0-31114000-1436477327_thumb.jpg

Template for boat so that it is of correct size.

post-2705-0-44679500-1436477330_thumb.jpg

post-2705-0-69559700-1436477333_thumb.jpg

Frames were too narrow, had to add some wood.

post-2705-0-71535700-1436477335_thumb.jpg

post-2705-0-54243900-1436477338_thumb.jpg

Bow template. The black part will be carved/scrapped/sanded away.

post-2705-0-70766000-1436477340_thumb.jpg

Marc

• 1 year later...

Just an update.

I have restarted this built while working on the Catboat.  The big difference is that, the above POB has been put aside and used for practice planking while a NEW POF is in the works.

I read through this built several times and I am using the suggestions on how to create the frames.  I will use 1/4" Baltic Birch Ply for the frames and 3/16" pieces in between the frames.

Frames have been rough cut with the scroll saw and need to be sanded (yes, pictures will follow).

Bottom line............................ this will be version 3.  I have learned a lot from just building a scratch hull in both POF and POB.

I need to finish the Catboat first.

Marcus

Ah yes!!!!!  I'm looking forward to version 3.0 Marcus. Good luck, all of us looking in will certainly enjoy watching.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

• 7 months later...

Today I have started Version 3 and it looks so much better (but then I had lots of practice with v.1 and v.2).  Frames have been cut and half the boat frames have been glued together and they are in a large clamp.  I obsessed with exactness of the fames but will no longer that as once I have all the frames glued together and all the sanding is done it will look good.  Pictures will follow.

Marcus

Self explanatory.

Marcus

AA-Frames 001.JPG

AA-Frames 002.JPG

AA-Frames 003.JPG

AA-Frames 004.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

As mentioned before I am doing both a POB and a POF.  I find that a POB is easier than a POF.  Less frames to line up.  I have been looking at another Jacht and the lines from the Utrecht are similar, so I will turn the POB in that one.  Different carvings. 

POB frames in a jig.AA-Frames POB 001_resize.JPG

AA-Frames POB 004_resize.JPG

AA-Frames POB 007_resize.JPG

AA-Frames POB 009_resize.JPG

Template for the bow.  I plan to use a block of basswood, which will be shaped according to size. 

AA-Frames POB 011_resize.JPG

AA-Frames POB 013_resize.JPG

AA-Frames POB 015_resize.JPG

The POF version of the boat.

All the frames in a large clamp. 

AA-Frames POF 009_resize.JPG

AA-Frames POF 014_resize.JPG

AA-Frames POF 015_resize.JPG

AA-Frames POF 017_resize.JPG

Left over frames that were either cut to the wrong size or are double.

For the bow of the POF I will do the same as the POB, which will be a solid piece of wood shaped to size and covered with planking.

Great seeing you back at the "Utrecht" again Carl and two no less!

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)