What brand is a good head mounted magnifier,light.

Kiwiron, the optivisor is great, we have a couple at work. At home for ship building I have been using a Megaview Pro LED. http://www.ottofrei.com/MegaView-Pro-with-LED-Light-and-3-Lenses-Plus-Mono-Lens.html   I like having shadowless light right where I am working. 

I think OptiView has a lighted version also.

Sam

Edited by src

Current Build Constructo Enterprise

• 2 weeks later...

Optivisor is very good, glass lenses and you can get an led light adaptor.

I have a couple of cheap plastic lens ones but not as comfortable or good as the optivisor. eBay and Amazon always have them.

Ben

Guys,

I too need to get something like an Optivisor to aid in the really small detail work. At 51 the eyes are what they used to be. I wear eyeglasses for far vision. I've got astigmatisms in both eyes, so glasses are a necessity. Do you have recommendations on which magnifiers to get for the optivisor? My guess that it ends up a personal preference. Without knowing even the ballpark to aim for any help or suggestions would very appreciate. I also so the LED clip light that Donegan makes for it. Is that worthwhile and of value for making subjects brighter when looking through the optivisor?

Cheers,

Elia

Elia

Rose Valley, PA

Arethusa: 1907 Gloucester Knockabout

• 1 month later...

Just an update here - I received an Optivisor for Christmas this year and I really like it. I received with it an additional lens magnification set (#5). The entire device works quite well. It is easy to wear, it has a comfortable headband cushion, and it 's "hood" is deep enough to completely fit over my standard eyeglasses without contacting or disturbing them. Lastly I received the LED spotlight attachment and seems to provide a nice bright spot wherever you aim it. It takes a little getting used to, particularly working with the object at the device's focal distance (versus where I used to hold it). So far I am a happy a camper.

Elia

Elia

Rose Valley, PA

Ron,

Thank you. You are very generous. For the past couple of years I have found my eyes to be getting progressively worse - as in my nearest focal distance has been continually getting farther away from my eyes, make it more and more difficult to see small details clearly. Many times I find myself making things two or three times until I am somewhat satisfied with one of my efforts. Only rarely am I happy with the first. I hope the optivisor changes this dynamic. It is like seeing for the first time again....and with magnification!

Cheers,

Elia

Elia

Rose Valley, PA

Ellia,

I am in the same boat (sorry for the pun) as you; Eyeglasses astigmatism etc. A magnifier is like a whole new world opened up! I have found I am using mine for more than work and ship building. Fixing odd items for the Future Admiral, splinters at work, even sharpening tools; I am finding its much easier to see the burr when I sharpen a knife or chisel with the magnifier.

Sam

Current Build Constructo Enterprise

Sam,

So true. I can't believe how quickly I've adopted the optivisor. Now almost nothing requiring fine vision and detail is done without them. Outstanding device. I think the only complaint I have is with the optional light. I find it works quite well and is a worthy addition to the optivisor. The battery case, though, slides around on the headband. Easily remedied with some tape.

I highly recommend to any modeler who's eyes aren't 20/20 any longer look into one of these.

Cheers,

Elia

Elia

Rose Valley, PA

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys.

Have been using one for a few years but have the number 7 lens the longest. I went and brought the number 4 from, micro mart I believe and after trying it went back to the number 7 which seems to work best, for me. Don't believe that micro mart or model expo sells the number 7 but if your interested in getting this one go to http://www.contenti.com/index.html  You also just may find other thing's you just may want to add to your ship building tool's. One thing I have learned over the years and am sure many of you have known this, but jewelry places sells some of the best and accurate tools for ship builder's.

Gary

Edited by garyshipwright