Proper tapering of mainmast

rlb

I have a question regarding the taper of the main mast (and fore mast as well) for my Oneida.  

In Lees book The Masting and Rigging of English Ships of War 1625-1860, he gives a chart (page 2 chapter 1) showing the amount of taper relative to the partners (which would be the point of widest diameter) at 6 points along the mast: Heel, First Quarter, Second Quarter, Third Quarter, Hounds, and Head. 

However, I haven't found a diagram of a mast that shows those points.

Please excuse this crude drawing, but this shows where I've interpreted (guessed) the measuring points to be, with the lower end of the hounds marking the end of the segment that is divided into quarters.   

My question is: should I use the bottom of the hounds (as I have shown), or the mid-point, or the upper end where the top would sit, as the measuring point for the Hounds?   And a bigger question, is my assumption that the quarters consist of the portion of mast between the partners and the hounds correct?

It's not going to make much difference which point on the hounds I use, but I'm just curious now.  (However, If the quarters should be different--such as the quarter points between the head and heel--that would really change things.)

Thanks for any help,

Ron

Edited by rlb

You've pretty much got it there, Ron.  Here is a drawing I have been using based on Steel.  Use the bottom of the hounds as your guide point.

post-18-0-13515700-1384652812_thumb.jpg

Use Lees with caution for the Oneida - it is probably close enough, but by 1808 there was some drift away from the English Establishment. 

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus