Announcing the Model Ship World Ship Kit Database Project

SkerryAmp

Hopefully some constructive criticism but I think you need to check the kit difficulty for the Caldercraft series.

You have ballahoo down as an intermediate and yet Snake as a beginner. Havent really checked the other kits as I have no experience with them but probably worth having a look when you have a moment.

Cheers!

Hi Jim, any criticism is always welcome!!   Thank you for the heads up, I will check those and see if I put them in wrong or if there was a problem with the query!

-Adam

Current Builds

Santa Maria - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

MayFlower - Model Shipways (5/32"=1') POB
Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

On The Shelf Waiting so Patiently

USRC Ranger - Corel (1:50) POB

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways (1:4) POF

La Nina - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

U.S Brig Syren - Model Shipways (1:64) POB

Completed Builds

Phantom NY Pilot Boat - Model Shipways (1:96) Solid Hull

Decommissioned Builds
(Time and conditions were not good to these. They have been cancelled =( )

Willie L Bennett - Model Shipways (1:32) POF
USRC Harriet Lane - Model Shipways (1:128) Solid Hull

thank you for doing this - there is a lot of information here

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Hi there! You going to be adding Aeropiccola and other defunct kit builders so that we might also seek out some old out of production kits? ;)

Build on hold: HM Sultana 1/64th scale

Current Build: 31 ton Doughty revenue cutter as USRC Active 1/64th scale (in progress)

Future Interests: Ballahoo, Diligence, Halifax and beyond...

Adam,    We all know that the only way to avoid mistakes, to say nothing of criticism, is to do nothing.  I think what you are doing is a great service to the model community and i, for one, appreciate it, expect to benefit from it and don't much care it it is not "perfect", whatever that means, since that is an entirely subjective term anyway.  Thanks for doing it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

First - thank you all for your incredible patience..   I have not dissappeared nor have I abadoned any projects.   What has happened is a combination of Work (promotion, merger, reorg  you get the gist),  School (finishing my B.S degree, wraps up in September and rather than it getting easier the load is getting heavier) AND health (my wife and I are a bit on the heavy side so have been doing Thai Kickboxing and with the nice weather getting out when time permits:  Just got our yellow belts :10_1_10: ).   Combine those with just the normal have to acknowledge my family from time to time and there has not been much time for much else.

I am so thrilled folks are using the  database, and priomise updates will be coming.

Sygreen - am very sorry,  those pages are coming and were on deck but have not gotten back to them.

Any way, these are not excuses mind you - just explanation ,  again thanks for bearing with the delay... but it is not a dead project and will be getting some life breathed into it :D

Thanks all!!!

-Adam

Current Builds

Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

Completed Builds

Decommissioned Builds

Great job. One mistake I found: the WASA is swedish not swiss.....

Yeah, there are a few of those - I have no idea what I was thinking; will be addressing those =)

This may be a very stupid question .

I have been searching the Ship Kit Database  and every ship shows that the page is under construction

Are there ANY ships that have any real information in it???

What am I doing wrong??

Nothing at all, right now the details are on the main page;  those pages with the overworked cat will be where the information is moved to in order to clean up the wall of information on the search list.

Hi SkerryAmp,

Brilliant concept well executed.

I am a SQL and VB programmer so if need any help just shout.

Have just discoverd MSW now and your datbase was my first port of call.

Keep up the good work

Mick

I will keep you in mind =)   My first order of business when i get back to it is moving it to MVC, I think it will help maintaining and updating it much much easier!!  But definately may tap you for some database advice- not my strongest point and am sure I will run into a few what the heck situations =)

-Adam

Current Builds

Completed Builds

Decommissioned Builds

thank you for doing this - there is a lot of information here

My pleasure;  I can't contribute much in the way of advice yet so this is my way of contributing what I can for a great site!

Thanks for the looks and the likes :)

Hi there! You going to be adding Aeropiccola and other defunct kit builders so that we might also seek out some old out of production kits? ;)

I have toyed with the idea of defunct kits and companies - that would be another effort I am afraid as it is a bit more open ended and harder to track down. Not out of  the question, but lower in the priorities at the moment.  Sorry :(

Adam,    We all know that the only way to avoid mistakes, to say nothing of criticism, is to do nothing.  I think what you are doing is a great service to the model community and i, for one, appreciate it, expect to benefit from it and don't much care it it is not "perfect", whatever that means, since that is an entirely subjective term anyway.  Thanks for doing it.

Thanks Fred, I appreciate that!  Very much so and you are very welcome :)

A disclaimer in a footer on each page should free the website and developer from legal issues.

Yeah, probobly a good idea, I agree =)

Please check the entry for the "Wasa" from Billing Boats, the nation is Swedish not Swiss.

:cheers:

Yep - my mistake and will fix it when I get back in there, thanks!

-Adam

Current Builds

Completed Builds

Decommissioned Builds

• 3 months later...

There's a link on the main MSW page. Just after the Model Expo ad and just before the "Monitored by Securi" link.

There's also a link in Adam's first message at the start of this thread.

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

• 6 months later...

i see no dates on content/comments past late 2013. Is this project still underway? i went to the database and found a lot of good info, but many, many pages not yet completed. Status?

WaltB

Patience, patience; slow and easy makes the model.

Finished projects: NY pilot boat Phantom;  lobster smack Emma C. Berry

Current build: English Pinnace

• 5 months later...

Hi, are you going to be listing discontinued kits? only reason i ask is that people may have information that is valuble as they often come up on web sites for sale.

Current Build(s):

• H.M.S Diana 1794 - Caldercraft 1:64 Scale

Completed Builds:

a kit can fall out of production at any time.........difficult to tell.   it takes quite a bit of time for any kit to deplete really,  depending how saturated it is in the market place.   one of the scary things,  in purchasing a kit from like E-bay and such,  is that the kit may not contain some....or even all of the instruction sheets.  it's too bad that including these in the database,  could result in some serious repercussions.  

to date......the most common ship kit {that I know of} that suffers from lost instruction sheets,  is a plastic kit....and that is the Revell Cutty Sark 1:96.  I posted them on my Blogger blog site,  so folks can acquire them  {I have gotten quite a few requests}.  every kit that I build,  be it wood or plastic,  I save the instruction sheets.   most manufacturers also post the instruction sheets as well......although some do not include sheets like rigging and profile diagrams.

I believe Adam is limiting this to only wood kits......to add other gender kits would expand the list tremendously.  great job so far Adam.......just browsed through and am amazed with how many are here!  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

• 1 year later...

Adam

I suggest you include Master Korabel.

I recently purchased their Phoenix Brigantine kit (I bought the plus version that includes the ships boat, higher quality wood and blocks) for a bit under $200 US.

Its quality is truly excellent, and value for money extraordinary.

There are also thirteen very clear online tutorials on youtube for each stage of its build. See an example here: https://youtu.be/c3MmCMmNK2s.

For a someone time poor and without lots of experience, its the best kit on the market.

Good review of its contents here https://youtu.be/1ITBzejbDbA

Below are some photos...not mine. 

Tim

7691817.thumb.jpg.f3b1a3b1406528267edd67b442c707b1.jpg3123163.thumb.jpg.bf0fc564f461b77a3352bfd264ebcfd0.jpg8585227.thumb.jpg.972b9861e238fbe8fad47549a75ef5e5.jpg0_bee0f_917800fc_XL.jpg.b21ca4e77dd592d8d8a7bea50a42aca0.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hello Adam,

I found another firm who produce en sell wooden model ship kits, there site is in german but the pictures speak for them self.

GK-Modellbau

You will find there list of own products here:

http://www.gk-modellbau-shop.de/epages/61220080.sf/de_DE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/61220080/Categories/Spantmodellbau

Best regards,

Hans

• 3 months later...

Tim

The Master Korabel kits do look very impressive.  I watched some of the video tutorials of the construction of the brig, and although it's in Russian, I still found them to be very informative.  The  laser precut parts seem to be exceptionally precise.  Although I prefer individual deck planks, the scribed decks included in the kit are also very precisely done!   

I guess that the videos would be a necessity, as I wouldn't be able to read the Russian directions.  I must say though, that the modeler does not spare the adhesive.:D

Dave

“You’ve just got to know your limitations”  Dirty Harry

Current Builds:  Modified MS 1/8” scale Phantom, and modified plastic/wood hybrid of Aurora 1:87 scale whaling bark Wanderer.

Past Builds: (Done & sold) 1/8” scale A.J. Fisher 2 mast schooner Challenge, 1/6” scale scratch built whaler Wanderer w/ plans & fittings from A.J. Fisher, and numerous plastic kits including 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution (twice), Cutty Sark, and Mayflower.

(Done & in dry dock) Modified 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution w/ wooden deck and masting [too close encounter w/conc. floor in move]

Hope to get to builds: MS 3/16” scale Pride of Baltimore II,  MS 1/2” scale pinky schooner Glad Tidings,  a scratch build 3/16” scale  Phantom, and a scratch build 3/16" scale Denis Sullivan.

• 2 years later...

does this database still exist?

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

• 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Did this ever get up and  running?

I am currently trying to input a lot of wooden kits including all box art  changes into the Scalemates database and this would been a useful resource.

I have spent a 2 weeks or so on Billing Boats - they seem to release each kit about 5 -6 times! Its difficult keeping up with them! I must have entered over 250 kits (well say 70 kits x up to 5 different boxes ) - I still have some work to do as well.

More recently have been working on Caldercraft, Occre, Mantua and have just started looking at Amati - I am also looking at Constructo but it is hard to find good references as they don't seem to have a website.

Current Builds

Mikasa by I Love Kit - 1:200 - Plastic

HMS Beagle by Occre - 1:48 - Wood

• 4 months later...

Here is a spreadsheet with Midwest kits that are not on the current database.  I will send it along to Adam

Kit Name Vender ShipType Period Scale Material Length Beam Height Kit Type Skill
San Francisco Bay Scow Schooner Midwest Schooner 19th Century 1:48 Wood 17" 4.375" 17.375" POB Advanced
America's Cup Challenger Endeavour I Midwest Sloop 20th Century 1:64 Wood 24.625" 3.875" 34" POB Advanced
Shrimp Dragger Midwest Fishing Boat 20th Century 1:16 Wood 22" 7.625" 14.25" POB Intermediate
Trawler Midwest Fishing Boat 20th Century 1:27.4 Wood 25" 7.625"   POB Intermediate
29' Bassboat  Midwest Fishing Boat 20th Century 1:16 Wood 22" 7.625   POB Advanced
Cheaspeake Double Kayak Midwest Kayak 20th Century 1:12 Wood 21" 2.5" 1.125" POF Beginner
Harbor Master Midwest Tug 20th Century 1:24 Wood 19" 7.75" 12.75" POB Intermediate
Fireboat Midwest Fireboat 20th Century 1:24 Wood 23" 7.25"   POB Intermediate
The Weatherly '62 America's Cup Winner Midwest Sloop 20th Century 1:24 Wood 35" 6" 48" POB Advanced
Boothbay Lobster Boat Midwest Fishing Boat 20th Century 1:12 Wood 30" 10"   POB AdvancedRC
Tour Master Midwest Tour boat 20th Century 1:24 Wood 19" 7.75" 10" POB Intermediate
Rainbow '34 America's Cup Winner Midwest Sloop 20th Century 1:64 Wood 24.625" 3.875" 34" POB Advanced

Edited by grsjax

My advice and comments are always worth what you paid for them.

I shows "unavailable" grsjax.    I suggest sending to JeffT, he's a moderator and has been updating index in the kit area.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 6 months later...