Bluenose by Don Jane - Billing Boats - Scale 1:65

I got into building this Bluenose by a very sad situation - my friend who was living in the same condo unit as me was building this Bluenose and was sharing workspace with me - My friend got sick about 1 year ago and was diagnosed with cancer - he had surgery and all was well until about September when he got sick again - he passed away in October and his Bluenose was sitting on his workbench in a partly finished state.  I asked his family if they had someone to give his Bluenose too and they said no so I asked if I could take over his build and finish it in his honor. They said they would like that so now I have a Bluenose on my workbench. The hull had not been planked very good and had a lot of filler on it - I had to sand it down to get the bumps and lumps out of it - I got it looking pretty good so I started to paint it and put some detailing on the hull. He had some sort of shellack on the deck so I had to sand it down a bit and then painted it with a sandy coloured paint - it doesn't look to bad to me so that is what the deck will look like. post-489-0-08596000-1384788667_thumb.jpg

I am sorry to hear about your friend, but you are getting started on a great adventure. I look forward to your progress. I have this exact model in the entryway of our home. It has sat in its display case for a number of years.

Current Builds - 18th Century Longboat, MS Syren

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

On the shelf - Panart San Felipe, Euromodel Ajax, C.Mamoli America, 

Its a sailor's Life for me! :10_1_10:

Don -  I am sorry to hear of the loss of your friend.  Cancer can be such an insidious disease.  My thoughts and prayers are with you and with your friend's family.

Bob

Current build -- MS Bluenose

Future build - MS Flying Fish

"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for." - William G. T. Shedd

Thanks for checking out my build - After doing my Bounty, I am finding the Bluenose a lot easier. I will hopefully keep up my build log as I progress.  I now have two builds underway - Last spring I bought the Gorch Fuch by OcRee - I just started it and have the Hull super structure well under way - I haven;t started a build log on it but will in the next couple of days

Don - Bluenose was my first and I fell in love with her. I also found her to be very easy and satisfying as a build.

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

Thanks Floyd - I see you live in Woodenville - we are pretty well neighbours . I live on Vancouver Island - We go down to your area quite often as a matter of fact we were through Woodenville on the 405 a couple of weeks ago.

Thanks

Don

Don - Would you like for me to include you in our local club's newsletter? Just PM me with your email address and maybe you can join us for a meeting. I can show you my Bluenose and more importantly Dave can show you his.

Hi Don,  Very Sorry to hear about your late friend, Pass our regards on to the family. Im Working on the Bluenose by Billings, I will finish her, But not like the plans nor instructions, I guess im still new to all this and dont have the answers, But what you have is Looking great so far looking forward to updates 

Rich

Rich.

Builds in Progress:   HMS Victory

Completed Builds:   Constucto Enterprise

Future Builds 2021/2022 USS Constitution

Hi Don,

Great loking model so far. Bluenose is a classic looking vessel with beautiful lines. A real racer!

Just a little tip, the main mast, the taller of the two is stepped aft. It would be tragic to have it all rigged up in the wrong place. ;-)

Peter

Build Log: Billing - Cutty Sark

In The Gallery: HMS Unicorn, HMAV Bounty, L'Etoile, Marie Jeanne, Lilla Dan, Zeeschouw "Irene"

A Toast: To a wind that blows, A ship that goes, And the lass that loved a sailor!

Thanks Peter

Kip already pointed out the the masts were in the wrong place - I just stuck them in there to see what it would look like.

Hope to see you soon

Don

• 1 month later...

Got a bit more done in the last few days - I now have the deck furniture in place and have the masts stepped .

Don,

I just discovered your log. Completing the model is a great honor for your friend's family. She looks lovely with a nice clean deck.

If you do manage to get down to Woodinville, I would love to see her. I am a member of PSSM along with Floyd and am finishing my own Bluenose.

Regards,

Dave B

Current build: HMS Pegasus, English Pinnace (on hold)

Completed build: MS BluenoseSkippercraft

Whoops - I pulled a boner - I quess I will chalk it up to a Senior Moment - I stepped the masts and forgot to put on the sail rings, so now I have to unglue them and do it rite - Like they say - Live and Learn or maybe even better - read the instrutions.

I came up with a solution for my sail ring delema - the rings that came with the kit are very lite weight plastic so I am going to split them with a knife and slide them over the mast and put a drop of gap filling super glue on the cut - I think that will work ok !!!

Hi Dan. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and your Family. Ship is looking great. Mistakes is how I learn. Keep Up the Good Work

Rich

Rich.

Builds in Progress:   HMS Victory

Completed Builds:   Constucto Enterprise

Future Builds 2021/2022 USS Constitution

I'm at the stage of making sails for the Bluenose - I don't have a sewing machine - does anyone have info on doing the sail edges using fabric glue or for that matter, any other meand of creating sails.

Thanks

Don

Don - if you go to almost any fabric store you will find one of 2 items - Seam tape and a bottle of Fray Check. I use both very often. The seam tape is approx. 1/4" wide and all you do is iron it in between two layers of cloth and it bonds nicely. I cut my sails out using the patterns in the kit and folded the seams and then ironed them. In some cases I used the fray check liquid. It works as both an adhesive and edge bonding tool. I am no good at sewing. but this worked for me.

Hi Floyd

Happy New Year

Thank you for the idea of using seam tape - I think it will work very good for my ship.

Thanks

Don

Good luck with sewing :). Are you going to sew them by hand or simply use a sewing machine?

Paweł

Current build: HMS Pandora: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/3409-hms-pandora-by-jastrz%C4%85b-constructo-185/

Finished projects:

Roar Ege 1:25, Billing Boats

Albatros 1:55, Constructo

Santa Maria 1:50, Mantua

I did use the Billings sail cloth - kind of stiff but I think they will look OK

Edited by Don Jane

Don - I will start by apologizing. I should have mentioned this in my previous post. There is one additional trick. If you lay some line in the groove that is made when you fold the sails over for the seam you will have the bolt rope that is needed for the Luff edge of the sail. Also with careful planning you can run the line along all the edges and have a small loop at each corner. This is handy to attach blocks, Halyards, & sheets.

Hi Floyd

I mite try and find some new sail cloth and do the sails again - I think I can make them look a lot better and I will be more careful in the ironing so as to get nice straight edges.