Gorch Foch by Don Jane - FINISHED - OcCre - Scale 1:95

Hi Peter

It makes perfect sense  - long time no see - we must try and get together again

• 5 months later...

post-489-0-45189600-1426798805_thumb.jpgpost-489-0-91026100-1426798819_thumb.jpgpost-489-0-64155400-1426798833_thumb.jpgpost-489-0-34464100-1426798923_thumb.jpgpost-489-0-34464100-1426798923_thumb.jpgAfter quite some time away from my model - I have now had some time to spend on it - over the past 4-5 days I have the standing rigging completed - I am now ready for the sails !

post-489-0-57252700-1426798847_thumb.jpg

post-489-0-50273000-1426798881_thumb.jpg

post-489-0-64340500-1426798904_thumb.jpg

Good work Don,

23 sails are waiting for you  (if you do them all) 

Its going to be an interesting Job and one can learn a lot by puting on the manifold operational lines to the sails and to their belaying terminals. Wish you all the luck and fun by doing so. Look foreward to your next pics.....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

• 8 months later...

Here we are - about 1 year of building - I now have all the sails on and mostly rigged - Sorry no pics - I will post some soon !!

I put the finishing touches on today - finished the last bit of rigging - rigged the hoisting equipment for the life boats, and took a bunch of pictures !!

This has been a very satisfying build for more - overall, I found the Occre kit very good - I was only short one little piece of photo etch stantions, but I emailed Occre and they sent the part riteaway. There are a couple of things that I would do a little different but I like the finished product. There is lots of nice detail on this ship and a very large number of rigging lines ( lots of work ). I have ordered my display case so will have it on display very soon - the condo association were I live has asked me if I will display my model in the condo lobby, so a lot of people will see it !!!

Congratulations Don,

a very nice model of the "Gorch Fock 2"

next to the the model itsself, the full set of sails is looking very good, will make an excellent Display object in it`s case

Will you be going for another tallship ? What is your planing ?

Nils

Ammendment :

Don, I`m very sorry to hear (your other post today) of your passed away freind and you taking over of his already started "Bluenose" project

Wish you all the best with it and a good success in honour to your freind. That answers my forestanding questions by itsself

Nils

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Hi Don, and congratulations on a beautiful ship! I just ran across your log tonight and am glad I did.

I would love to see it in person too, and help you christen it. I come home in a few weeks.

Cheers,

Peter

Build Log: Billing - Cutty Sark

In The Gallery: HMS Unicorn, HMAV Bounty, L'Etoile, Marie Jeanne, Lilla Dan, Zeeschouw "Irene"

A Toast: To a wind that blows, A ship that goes, And the lass that loved a sailor!

great looking build Don.......love the way she turned out!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks for all the compllments on my build - I had a lot of fun and many many hours on this build - I got my glass for my display case yesterday, so next week I will build the base and have it on display !!!!

• 2 months later...

You mite not believe this but I am now working on the Occre Jupiter locomotive - It has been a fun project and I am nearly finished - im in a bit of a hurry to finish it as, I have the Occre Mississippi River boat on my shelf

• 5 years later...
On 2/11/2016 at 5:34 PM, Don Jane said:

You mite not believe this but I am now working on the Occre Jupiter locomotive - It has been a fun project and I am nearly finished - im in a bit of a hurry to finish it as, I have the Occre Mississippi River boat on my shelf

Hi Don, I’ve just joined this forum having recently bought the OcCre Gorch Fock which I have just started. I have also just completed the OcCre Jupiter which you will know by now is quite an interesting and intricate build. 

On 2/11/2016 at 5:34 PM, Don Jane said:

You made a lovely job of the Gorch Fock. Hope mine turns out half as good!