Queen Anne's Revenge by DSiemens - FINISHED - ~1:1250 - BOTTLE

Thanks Kat.  If you like the QAR you really should see the other Dan's version.  It's incredible and follows closely to researched history of the ship.  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/3741-queen-annes-revenge-by-shipmodel-1710-136-scale/

Hey Daniel,

Followed the link you provided on SOS,  I'm intrigued by this side of the hobby...for one thing you can fit a whole fleet in small spaces :)  So bendy masts are the secret huh, I'd have never guessed. 

Following with interest

J

Thanks J.  Yea bending masts are one way of doing it.  There's so many methods out there.  Which is one thing I love about this craft.  Your right about fitting a lot of ships in small spaces.  I keep  three on a shelf in my office and eight on a shelf in my living room.  There's actually a couple of members of my local club that have started bottling ships partly because they have ran out of space for bigger models.  

Finally got a little more done on the QAR. She's really close I hope to have her done soon.  Just a few more spars and sails then I got to prep the bottle and put her in.  I've chosen to have the main sails furled.  Partly because its a little easier, shows the deck better, and is a standard battle position which is fitting for this ship.  

20140704_001529.jpg

Also I had posted a little sloop I did for a kid that was researching pirate ships.  Since I had so much fun with it and I gave the other one away I had to do another.  I should do a full log on these because they really are so quick and simple.  It would be a great build fo some one who wants to get into the real miniature building.  

20140704_001747.jpg

Great to see your progress on QAR.  And an added bonus with the sloop to boot.  Great choice/rendition on the bottle there!  Incredible stuff.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

.  I should do a full log on these because they really are so quick and simple.  It would be a great build fo some one who wants to get into the real miniature building.  

That would be great.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

• 2 weeks later...

I was hoping to get the last two sails done before I posted but with in laws in town I haven't found the time.  They went home and I found enough time to post.  Here's where she's at.  

20140714_214532.jpg

20140714_214512.jpg

20140714_214448.jpg

I can't say she's the best ship I've ever done but I've learned a lot in the process so she's been worth it.  Just got two more sails and she's ready to bottle.  

Oh and as far as the transom goes.  I've decided not to add anything.  The bottom of the bottle is not at all clear so anything I include would not be seen any ways.  

Wow that is tiny Daniel looks great by the way.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Amazing work...I too look forward to the new log, I may be tempted to follow along and build a little one of my own, very nice, thanks for sharing.

J

Last sails done.  She's ready to bottle.  

20140718_234650.jpg

20140718_234944.jpg

20140718_234836.jpg

Well....She's in.  It was a tough battle and she looks it.  

20140719_072309.jpg

20140719_072256.jpg

The mizzen sail came partially off and I couldn't fix it with out removing the ship.  The sails in general had trouble and I also lost some rat lines.  Not the best ship I've ever built but this ship was experimental and I learned a lot so I am happy with that.  I'll try this scale again some time and see if I can't do better.  For now I want to get back into my normal scale and a log on the super small ship's I've built.     

Hi Daniel

Seeing your ship and, especially how tiny it is, has taken me back to my childhood! I used to build two and three masted ships not much bigger than yours, with sails, that actually floated. I spent countless hours sailing them in our garden fish pond. At that time, there were no computers, or anything like that. All I had was an imagination and an ability to put it to good use by building and sailing models. Your ship has captured the essence of model building in that it brings joy and wonderment to those who marvel at your skill and are baffled by the age old question of "how that ship could possibly fit in the bottle..."

Thank you for bringing joy and taking me back to my childhood!

Look forward to seeing more of your extreme miniatures!

Well done..

Edited by Omega1234

I like this micro miniature a lot. It turned out well considering the limitation of a bottle about the size of a thumb and that it is almost entirely an experiment in new techniques. I especially like the furled courses as if she had just engaged her latest victim - and it fits with the bit of "battle damage" Daniel pointed out.

Well done, Daniel. 

post-70-0-74663700-1362476559.jpg

Current Builds:  ESMERALDA Chilean Navy School Ship, 1/640 in a bottle

insanity Dan Clapp's hard water race boat in a bottle

Completed Build:  Prairie Schooner OGALLALA 1/96 in a bottle

Research Project:  Cruizer-class Brig-Sloops

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin

Omega that's quiet the compliment.  Thank you very much.  If there is any thing I hope to achieve with my models it's what you describe.  

David thank you as well.  I appreciate your help and support through this build.  I've also learned a lot from your recent build.  I hope to use some of what I've learned in my next larger build.  

As far as the next build goes I'd like to do the super miniature sloop next.  I need another anyways because they're to easy to give away.  Then my son William really wants me to build the Prins Willem.  Just so happens Story of Sail has the plans so I guess I'll have to do it.   

Edited by DSiemens

Daniel,

A stunning achievement.  The water and sails give it a unique character.  A pity one can't bottle a 1:64 size ship....

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I agree with Mark ---- she has a lot of character.  Well done!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Augie- Thank you.  

Mark- Thank you. As far as 1:64 scale...there was this.

Nelsons-Ship-in-a-Bottle-002-300x225.jpg

A Victory built by Yinka Shonibare for Trafalgar Square scaled 1:30.  Most ship in bottle builders don't consider this a real ship in bottle because the builders could fit in the bottle.  It's kind of cheating.

Augie- Thank you.  

Mark- Thank you. As far as 1:64 scale...there was this.

Nelsons-Ship-in-a-Bottle-002-300x225.jpg

A Victory built by Yinka Shonibare for Trafalgar Square scaled 1:30.  Most ship in bottle builders don't consider this a real ship in bottle because the builders could fit in the bottle.  It's kind of cheating.

Sheesh.. that's incredible.  As for not a "real ship n the bottle"... picky, picky, picky.   Put a cork in it and you will have a shipbuilder in a bottle.  :)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Sheesh.. that's incredible.  As for not a "real ship n the bottle"... picky, picky, picky.   Put a cork in it and you will have a shipbuilder in a bottle.  :)

It's been done.

post-70-0-21191400-1405823580_thumb.jpg

By Phil Mattson

post-70-0-09441200-1405823579_thumb.jpg

post-70-0-74663700-1362476559.jpg

Current Builds:  ESMERALDA Chilean Navy School Ship, 1/640 in a bottle

insanity Dan Clapp's hard water race boat in a bottle

Completed Build:  Prairie Schooner OGALLALA 1/96 in a bottle

Research Project:  Cruizer-class Brig-Sloops

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin

Well done Daniel.  Makes me think about trying it.  The only problem is I do not drink.  Plus with the stuff I am taking right now it would probably send me to the moon.

David B

David B I don't drink either.  The trick is having friends that do.   ;)

It's funny once you start looking what you end up finding. My favorite bottles I've gotten from friends but I've found some good ones in thrift stores including a 1950's wine bottle.  I think I may put a 1950's yacht of some sort in that one.  I'm not sure yet.  I've also found bottles while out walking the dog.  I put a xebec in one that I found that way.  

Xebec+003.jpg

Daniel -

I take a few weeks vacation and you go and finish your QAR.  Lovely work at your mini-mini-scale.  Just tip the ship a little on the sea and she could be fighting through a gale.  Looks like a Van de Velde painting.

Thanks for the photo of the model in the huge bottle, I had never seen it before.  Thanks too to DFellingham for the chuckle.  

Be well

Dan

Current build -SS Mayaguez (c.1975) scale 1/16" = 1' (1:192) by Dan Pariser

Prior scratch builds - Royal yacht Henrietta, USS Monitor, USS Maine, HMS Pelican, SS America, SS Rex, SS Uruguay, Viking knarr, Gokstad ship, Thames River Skiff , USS OneidaSwan 42 racing yacht  Queen Anne's Revenge (1710) SS Andrea Doria (1952), SS Michelangelo (1962) , Queen Anne's Revenge (2nd model) USS/SS Leviathan (1914),  James B Colgate (1892),  POW bone model (circa 1800) restoration

Prior kit builds - AL Dallas, Mamoli Bounty. Bluejacket America, North River Diligence, Airfix Sovereign of the Seas

"Take big bites.  Moderation is for monks."  Robert A. Heinlein

Thanks Dan.  I need to remember to add a little tilt to my ships.  I did it accidentally once on my Bounty and every one I show it to likes the look.  Thanks also for your help and support with this build.  

Shame on you Daniel, you are making me have very dangerous thoughts that could be detrimental to my already fragile sanity. (Build smaller build minitures, build ship in a bottles.) :huh:

David B