mtaylor

Planking Tutorials

36 posts in this topic

3M woodfiller seems to work the best for me, as I can force it into small cracks with my finger. Bondo would leave a smooth surface, with no detail. I would like to leave a hint of planking after hull is sprayed. 

By the way, DAP dries too fast to manipulate, even when diluted with acetone. 

Yes, I did bevel planks where the frames turned sharply, but irregularities in planking stock have caused the bulk of the problems. This kit is 20 years old, and perhaps newer ones have higher quality machined planks. I can see why some of you make your own planks as a result.

On to finishing some details on the hull, priming, and then set it aside for a while to work on deck and ships boats. 

I thought I would try making the deck in a similar fashion referenced elsewhere. I will make a template, cut out a piece of 1/64 birch for a substrate, cut out the nibbling strakes, make sure fit is good, and then plank that. At least that is the plan.  :P

Canute and mtaylor like this

Between Dirk De Bakker & Greg Brooker piece and Chuck Passaro's seminal "planning" system, a true treasure trove of info.

There is one piece I dont think is covered, or it if is it didn't click with me, but what are the methods, wisdoms, or guidelines as far as deciding where to stop the garbord? There are plenty of warnings about not putting it too far forward, but how does one figure out exactly where it should end at the stem/bow?

mtaylor, Canute and donfarr like this

The easiest way is to lay the garboard into position, and then lay the next plank such that it runs well forward of the garboard (don't glue any planks yet).  Then draw a line using the second (top) plank as a guide on the garboard.  The garboard should end just as the stem starts curving upward.

zoly99sask, Gregory, Canute and 1 other like this

Janet B,

I have tried many methods to bend planks and not to bad.All this changed when i purchased a pair of Plank Bending Pliers from EXPO TOOLS,The plier has a flat anvil

on the one side and a vee shaped jaw on the other side which has been slightly rounded off.I found in use i could form a plank the complete lenght of the hull and because

one side of the plier does not cut the wood but leaves a indentation it is easy to adjust,you can just ease the bend a small amount  to get a curved strip.

Website is www.expotools.com.

Regards Janet B

mtaylor likes this