Yambo

The "What have you done today?" thread.

Interesting or tedium, tell us about it here!

I took a walk around the village following 2 days of very severe weather, torrential rain for most of yeaterday and about 20 minutes of seriously big hailstones:  

post-683-0-62032400-1385222116_thumb.jpg  

and a bit of localised damage they did to my garden box:

post-683-0-15653900-1385222158_thumb.jpg

A few houses and businesses suffered flooding but today it seems that there was no really serious damage. Apparently, we made the national news so maybe Ferit and Ilhan up in Istanbul saw it but I don't watch TV very much at all so didn't.

Oh yeah, I did a bit of planking as well.   :)  

JesseLee; You live in the county she was named after and there is a memorial in your Court House. She has a history that is still being written, even on the rocks in the South China Sea. I was aboard for only a short time in her history, 67-68.

jud

Finished my 'low cost' display case for my Mayflower build.

Total cost: +-$50

$28 - 2mm plexiglass 70x55x30cm/+-27x21x9 inches 

$6.5 - Meranti wood skirting used for the frame

$4 - Plexiglass adhesive

$3 - plenty of cutoff teak veneer, enough for several projects

$6.25 - Cost of a chocolate mascarpone tart, made by the Admiral, to say thanks to my buddy that went to pick up the plexiglass(he lives close to the supplier), saving me 3 hours in traffic and 80 miles in fuel.

Free - piece of MDF board donated by my neighbour

Lots of lessons learned, as this is my first attempt at building something like this:

Measure twice, cut once!  (funny how easy it is to forget that rule  :))

I will use a thinner adhesive for the plexiglass, the adhesive provided by the Plexiglass supplier was quite thick, something called Magmabond C1, similar to Tensol 12.

I will need to get a better way of clamping veneer when gluing to MDF, as it is not 100% smooth.

I will use 3mm plexiglass next, 2mm is a bit flimsy.

post-19243-0-71480600-1458039069_thumb.jpg

Total cost: +-$50

$28 - 2mm plexiglass 70x55x30cm/+-27x21x9 inches 

$6.5 - Meranti wood skirting used for the frame

$4 - Plexiglass adhesive

$3 - plenty of cutoff teak veneer, enough for several projects

$6.25 - Cost of a chocolate mascarpone tart, made by the Admiral, to say thanks to my buddy that went to pick up the plexiglass(he lives close to the supplier), saving me 3 hours in traffic and 80 miles in fuel.

Free - piece of MDF board donated by my neighbour

Lots of lessons learned, as this is my first attempt at building something like this:

Measure twice, cut once!  (funny how easy it is to forget that rule  :))

I will use a thinner adhesive for the plexiglass, the adhesive provided by the Plexiglass supplier was quite thick, something called Magmabond C1, similar to Tensol 12.

I will need to get a better way of clamping veneer when gluing to MDF, as it is not 100% smooth.

I will use 3mm plexiglass next, 2mm is a bit flimsy.

attachicon.gif697B1721 (2500x2448).jpg

Very nice!

Cheers

Patrick

It was with heave steps I entered the local police station today, and made a report of my missing yellow lab.

The admiral took our three dogs out for last potty run Sunday evening at 9pm, and came in only with the two she have had on lead.

Hudson who is very loyal and friendly, not afraid of people and car was gone.

I went outside for three hours walking in mud and wet grass getting cold and more worried.

At this hour my best friend Hudson has been gone for 50 hours, and it doesn't look good.

I have had a hard time to sleep and concentrate.

I've heard of dogs finding their way home from all the way across the country. Check the Hudson River. He probably thought it was made just for him to fill with his pee.

He's on a mission to get home now! Does a dog bite the hand that feeds him? Not if it smells like his daddy's hand! Fill his bowl with food, let a couple tears drop atop the food to make gravy. leave it on the porch, he'll be there when you wake up.

Labs are the BEST!!!

I'm sure you'll let us know the minute he comes home! And he WILL be back!!!

I had a dog seemingly eons ago.. Never used a leash on her as she would always be near me, even outside or walking in the woods.  About once a year, she'd take off while out on the evening walk.  A day or two later she'd be back, stinking to high heaven, covered in mud and whatever.  But sitting outside the front door waiting...   

Sometimes they just get the wonderlust.   You might put the word out back at the old place, just in case she shows up there.

Its a tough thing to have one of our canine friends disappear like that. I had one who would take off for an hour or two, if she could slip the leash. We microchip the hounds now, just in case.

Sheriff, should we form a posse and track down this dog rustler? ;):)  Out here we hang canine thieves. :rolleyes::) :)

Very nice case. I like the color of the wood.

I built mine as well. Made a lot of mistakes on my first one for the Bounty. My second one for the Jacht Mary is better. Over time, I will get better and better.

Marc

A day at my woodcarving class, only hand tools gouges etc, no sanding allowed dute to dust. Definitely most difficult wooden carving subject to date done by me. Finished carving out Acorn cups now start thinning leaves.

post-22296-0-12019000-1458169929_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Slowhand

Finally got the weatherized extension to my shop finished far enough to move the righthand side of my model railroad layout into it. This is the section that has my workbench under it, built into the support legs. Now I can start working on my ships again.

I can now setup the left hand end, the one that will have my computer desk, and more bookshelves under it.

The first photo is the before moving, and the second the after.

Yes my shop is a mess, but a lot of that is due to clearing "stuff" so I could move the workbench, and some of it is stuff that I will store in the area of my old work bench, after I remove it. There is a lot of construction scrap also. I need to find somewhere to store it, as I still have renovation work to do in other parts of the shop. Not hording stuff would help too, but I may need some of those left hand widgets some day!

The old work bench was made from kitchen cabinets, with a countertop, as the working surface. It sat too high to work at comfortably, while sitting down. I had to use a bar stool, that was at just the right height to bang my knees into the 2X4s that supported the underside of the countertop, and my legs hung uncomfortably in the air, with no support for my feet..

Once I get the left hand side of the layout up, I can also start building the layout proper. The framing at the top of the assembly, is the bench work for the layout itself. You can see the two sections of bench work for the left hand end, stacked on top of the right hand section that I moved. I designed it so that I can disassemble it into four sections, if I ever move, and set it back up at the new location.

post-10090-0-94070600-1458789626_thumb.jpg

post-10090-0-74877700-1458789634_thumb.jpg

Edited by thibaultron

Around the top of the assembly, you can see 1X4 boards, these are the framing for the base of the layout. The lower section where you can see the verticle piece of plywood, is the leg/workbench/book shelf/ computer desk area.

On top you can see two 1X4 sections sitting on the rest of the assembly, these are the two sections that make up the left hand side of the layout framing. The sections where their legs will be, are where the computer desk, and the other book shelf section will be, when that portion is setup.

Here is a drawing of the finished unit.

The layout is a 2'X17' Switching layout (no long mainline run, basicaly 4 cities, and a mine, close together). The second picture shows the layout as planed.

post-10090-0-44057600-1458828631_thumb.jpg

post-10090-0-83596300-1458828641_thumb.jpg

I didn't really "do" anything today, but I "received" an epiphany.

I never understood the British fascination with bird watching, till now. I quit the grind, moved to Alabama, and kicked back.And I am noticing things in my new, more pastoral, world. I have two pair of mating cardinals that parade themselves in my front yard. They live in the oak tree in the middle of my driveway. Next door hosts a pair of bluebirds. All of them are all over the yard eating bugs. Across the street, in the 'county' trees there's some birds with bright yellow bodies and black wings and tails that come to call occasionally.

I go out, for my morning coffee and smoke, and see the usual green ripped by these tiny colorful creatures that do not disturb my Wa, rather open it. I begin to understand.

John

Ordered myself the Model Shipways Gunboat Philadelphia for my birthday. I've been wanting this kit for a long time, and have wanted to build a model of her, since seeing the real boat at the Smithsonian many years ago.