Yambo

The "What have you done today?" thread.

3,405 posts in this topic

If I were crazy, how would I know it?

when

If you're crazy I notice right away.

We build ship models.  By definition we're all in that category.   :D  :D  :D  :D

When my Dr told me that my markers were rising despite te different medications I asked him if I could be a candidate for radiation therapy.  Since the Myeloma is my entire spine he said it would boe be helpful but might finish the job early.  He has prescribed me a medication used for the treatment of AIDS that was found to slow down the cancer in my spine.  

David B

With the beautiful day and temperature closers to 50's, I spent a couple of hours removing the combination of snow and ice that had built up during the past couple of days.

It was good enough to work in a t-shirt.

post-967-0-25696400-1484866157_thumb.jpg

mtaylor, reklein, neptune and 7 others like this

Same here in Lewiston Idaho,though without the sunshine. Litte sloppy with all the melting but I can't complain. Right now its minus 74F in Delta Junction Alaska, and supposed to be heading this way.

Me, I just remember from about 60 years ago, and I was living in a one-room flat (apartment) in Maida Vale, and I asked the landlady if she'd let me sandpaper the hideous dark oak gateleg table and she (stupidly) said yes.

I really mucked up on that one.

Still remember it.

Life's a learning curve, isn't it?

We had to have my best little buddy Buster put down today. He had an aggressive growing Mast Cell cancer growing all over his back side and internally. He was always in my lap anytime I was in my chair. I am going to miss him so much. :(

G'day Jesse, my heart goes out to you, I'm so sorry to hear about your little mate, it brought back memories and tears about my little pal Chino when we had to let him go last year.

I hope that you are feeling better soon not only over the loss of your little mate but also your own illness, thinking of you, all the best, John.

Today I had my final session of radiation therapy,hopefully that is the end of the Ear Cancer I had. The worst of the side effects was the mucking up of taste,no joke when all you eat and drink has a ghastly flavour :(  Should (hopefully) return to normal in a month or so said the Radiology Doc along with the other side effects  :)  At least my brain wasn't fried,I think  :D  :D  :D  :D

Dave  :dancetl6:

Wishing you all the best Dave, hope your feeling better soon,

best regards John.

Me, I just remember from about 60 years ago, and I was living in a one-room flat (apartment) in Maida Vale, and I asked the landlady if she'd let me sandpaper the hideous dark oak gateleg table and she (stupidly) said yes.

I really mucked up on that one.

Still remember it.

Life's a learning curve, isn't it?

Are you going to leave us hanging? What's the rest of the story. Did the landlady jack you up for her table, or did you manage to get it right?

I once rented an apartment that had a drain blockage in the bathroom sink. I found a drain opener in the super market that used air pressure to force a drain blockage free. I used the product to open my drain and heard someone exclaim from the other side of the wall (adjacent apartment). The landlord later asked me if I had heard any type of explosion recently. I said, no, and asked why he was asking? he said my neighbor had the strangest thing he had ever seen happen at her apartment. She was using her bathroom sink when all of a sudden a ball of corruption went in her face caused by some unknown force through the drain pipes. Needless to say, I kept a straight face and shook my head in wonder. Kept my mouth shut, too.  B)

davyboy, mtaylor, Canute and 7 others like this

Anyone know how to tell if a dining room table is urethane, or shelack? I have small scratches but don't what process to use without knowing what's protecting it.

Put a drop of alcohol on it.  If it's shellac, the alcohol will begin to dissolve the finish.

cog, mtaylor, Canute and 5 others like this

I haven't done much lately that didn't involve working on the kitchen.  Sanding the drywall gets about as much love as rolling around in insulation.  I have a "dustless" sanding pole but it takes about three times the effort to use than a regular sanding pole.  I've almost got the ceiling done but there are still a few fill spots that need to be taken care of.  

Kitchen_024_zpszaxbjb8s.jpg 

Getting close to paint time.  On the right is all the can lights that still have to be installed.

Kitchen_023_zpsnbnxi7xo.jpg

Our new kitchen lighting. :)  

It's coming on 10AM now and I still can't convince these old bones to get moving.  My mind is writing checks my body can't cash.

You do not need to be scared to cut your fingers because it is to dark on your work top!!!. Nice! ... Led or halogen ? What's the hole in th ceiling on the left?

All the can lights are LED.  I'm using Lutron Maestro dimmers on them and I can get the lights down pretty low.  They are all 2700K color temperature, which simulates a typical incandescent bulb.

The hole in the ceiling is a supply vent.  All the HVAC ducting here runs through the attic - no basements here.  Before summer arrives, I have to cover it with additional insulation because some of it is exposed and that means condensation dripping down from the vents.  

cog, mtaylor, Canute and 3 others like this

Are you going to leave us hanging? What's the rest of the story. Did the landlady jack you up for her table, or did you manage to get it right?

I once rented an apartment that had a drain blockage in the bathroom sink. I found a drain opener in the super market that used air pressure to force a drain blockage free. I used the product to open my drain and heard someone exclaim from the other side of the wall (adjacent apartment). The landlord later asked me if I had heard any type of explosion recently. I said, no, and asked why he was asking? he said my neighbor had the strangest thing he had ever seen happen at her apartment. She was using her bathroom sink when all of a sudden a ball of corruption went in her face caused by some unknown force through the drain pipes. Needless to say, I kept a straight face and shook my head in wonder. Kept my mouth shut, too. B)

What happened was, I got fed up with the slowness of sandpaper and I used a Stanley Surform plane on it. Messed the surface up completely. She couldn't evict me for that - she'd given permission ...

But ...

I was in a top floor apartment. The ones below mine had bay windows; mine didn't. Instead, there was a sort of verandah out there, walled about 18 inches high all around. Rain from the roof came down a drainpipe into the verandah, and out through a hole into another drainpipe that carried it down to ground level.

It was a hot, dry summer. I'd used the verandah to store a big cardboard box full of trash. When the rain eventually came, it floated my cardboard box over the outlet hole, and the verandah filled up with rainwater.

Until the floor of the verandah gave way, allowing nearly two tons of water to flood into the three apartments below mine.

That's what she evicted me for.

I've improved my woodworking skills somewhat since then, but I can still, occasionally, be just stupid.

cog, Julie Mo, davyboy and 7 others like this

Ever clear. 190 proof. This is how you consume it. You put a pan beside your bed for the morning, make sure the door to the porcelain god is open and the path is clear, it in bed, drink 2 shots and go to sleep.

mtaylor, thibaultron, Canute and 1 other like this

Good for you Gemma.  I work like that also... spare bedroom as a workshop, office, computer place.   If I may suggest, get an air filter for the workshop aire.  and a small shop vac for use when using any power tools or sanding, etc.  I run my air filter just about every day that actually working on the model and it does get the airborne particles out of the air.

Today I called my youngest son to tell him I want him to have my '69 Le Mans. It's in pieces. He started crying. He lives in Michigan. This car has the tiniest bit of rust, being here in California. Unheard of in Michigan. In fact you would NEVER find a '69 anything that spent its life there. Not original.

You see, this is my step son. I raised him from the time he was 4. His Dad was the usual dead beat, only thing he ever gave the kid was a bad attitude. Boy, did we go rounds! So, when he was 17, I came home from work to find my speakers on my porch, cranking out some nasty 4 letter rap crap. We got into it. Told him he was grounded until I decided for how long and he says, "This is such B.S.!" , gets up off the chair and starts toward me. I jump up saying "You stepping?"

He had just enough respect for me to turn and leave. BUT... He went to his Dads house because, "He'll let me do anything I want."

Michigan has this "three strikes and your out law." That means if a crime holds a maximum of 12 years, that's what you're doing. No time out for good behavior. On his 18th birthday he was convicted of armed robbery. He got out on his 30th birthday.

Within a week he had a job, within 2 months, promoted to supervisor, then at 6 months all the way to a foreman in one leap. He's been out 6 years now, he's married, has a wonderful son, and has money in his savings account.

He asked me why I was giving him the car when I could sell it for at least $10,000. I told him because I'm proud of him. He told me that every night when he was in prison he thought of me. I did time. I eventually became an executive officer of an International LLP. He said he thought about words I had taught him. Like integrity, honor, pride, work ethics, morals, values. He said I am what kept him going, knowing he too would be alright because I taught him that he can do anything he wants to. Only time we ever got along was when we were wrenching on a car.

cog, Julie Mo, Altduck and 14 others like this

Today I called my youngest son to tell him I want him to have my '69 Le Mans. It's in pieces. He started crying. He lives in Michigan. This car has the tiniest bit of rust, being here in California. Unheard of in Michigan. In fact you would NEVER find a '69 anything that spent its life there. Not original.

You see, this is my step son. I raised him from the time he was 4. His Dad was the usual dead beat, only thing he ever gave the kid was a bad attitude. Boy, did we go rounds! So, when he was 17, I came home from work to find my speakers on my porch, cranking out some nasty 4 letter rap crap. We got into it. Told him he was grounded until I decided for how long and he says, "This is such B.S.!" , gets up off the chair and starts toward me. I jump up saying "You stepping?"

He had just enough respect for me to turn and leave. BUT... He went to his Dads house because, "He'll let me do anything I want."

Michigan has this "three strikes and your out law." That means if a crime holds a maximum of 12 years, that's what you're doing. No time out for good behavior. On his 18th birthday he was convicted of armed robbery. He got out on his 30th birthday.

Within a week he had a job, within 2 months, promoted to supervisor, then at 6 months all the way to a foreman in one leap. He's been out 6 years now, he's married, has a wonderful son, and has money in his savings account.

He asked me why I was giving him the car when I could sell it for at least $10,000. I told him because I'm proud of him. He told me that every night when he was in prison he thought of me. I did time. I eventually became an executive officer of an International LLP. He said he thought about words I had taught him. Like integrity, honor, pride, work ethics, morals, values. He said I am what kept him going, knowing he too would be alright because I taught him that he can do anything he wants to. Only time we ever got along was when we were wrenching on a car.

Thanks for sharing this story about your stepson and the gifting of your car. What a testament to positive and strong, values based parenthood.

You deserve to be proud of yourself. A job done beautifully is worth the rewards that come with it.

Nicely done and congratulations.

Cheers

Patrick