Yambo

The "What have you done today?" thread.

3,406 posts in this topic

I got up this morning, had breakfast and was all set to start making cabinets for the kitchen appliances.  I went to the bathroom and took the first contact lens and gave the it a cleaning with solution before inserting it in my eye.  As soon as I put it in my eye I thought the lens was being welded to my retina!  My eye was on fire!  I immediately tried to get the lens out (thinking the overnight hydrogen peroxide cleansing solution hadn't been neutralized) but it felt like the lens was stuck to my eyeball!

In a panic I reached for the contact lens solution and squirted it in my eye and my eye exploded in pain.  I was blind and completely confused.  So I did it again and it got even worse.  I opened the other eye and saw the bottle I had been using had a BRIGHT RED CAP on it.  I immediately grabbed the other bottle and flooded my eye with saline solution until the bottle was empty.  And the plans for the day were shot and my tank top was soaked.

CSI (Contact Solution Investigation) came in and determined the new bottle of 3% hydrogen peroxide solution had the same flip cap as the saline solution and the victim of the eye attack had become accustomed to having to unscrew the cap off the 3% HP bottle and had been set up by a murderous villain who is being exonerated as we speak because the "victim" was at fault for being too sleepy (stupid) to see the BRIGHT RED CAP that was meant to warn you not to squirt that stuff in your eye.

About 8 hours later, I painted the kitchen ceiling.  With one eye closed. 

Tomorrow I will give the cabinet thing another try.

Not something to like Julie. You should, however, open your eyes in the morning and look at what you are doing, instead of merely opening them. I've worn contactlenses, but can't anymore due to a former employer's climate controle. However, I do hope it didn't damage your eye permanently, or severely.

No difficulty reaching the ceiling with the limited depth of view :)

My 19 year old daughter would pay money to come up and shovel that snow for you, Jack. She's never seen snow, poor baby.

I've seen it, shoveled it, worked in it, drug it all inside the house along with mud from my work boots, cursed it, and hunted in it. 

Now, I am glad to live without it.

Jack12477, cog, Canute and 5 others like this

Worked for the second day, at a local charity. I set up two computers from the box for them, and updated those two and 4 others. They will be using them in a job prep course.

JesseLee, Canute, Omega1234 and 9 others like this

Stayed up late, for me at least, to bid on a kit on Ebay. Hammersnipe was having problems, and I didn't want to miss out on bidding for it.

I'm now the proud owner of a Wye River Models Chesapeake Bay Bugeye kit in 1/48th scale.  The Bugeye was the two masted predecessor to the single masted Skipjack oyster dredger.

Stayed up late, for me at least, to bid on a kit on Ebay. Hammersnipe was having problems, and I didn't want to miss out on bidding for it.

I'm now the proud owner of a Wye River Models Chesapeake Bay Bugeye kit in 1/48th scale.  The Bugeye was the two masted predecessor to the single masted Skipjack oyster dredger.

Years ago, there was a bid sniper program I used, and now forget the name of it. But it was great for putting in a last second bid. 

I don't trust the programs because they required you provide your password and that seems very risky.

Is it still that way? Don't know a way around that issue.

That is what I have used the Hammersnipe site for for years. Last night, when I went to check on it though, got a server error. After the bidding I went back and checked, and they had a notice about the crash.

mtaylor, Canute, Omega1234 and 1 other like this

My puppy ate my glasses. Bent the nose pieces and chewed the lenses pretty good. The optometrist was able to fix the frames and it turns out that I have another year on a warranty I didn't know I had. I have to wait 2 weeks for the new lenses and in the mean time all I see are scratches. Trifoculs no less.

Omega1234, mtaylor, Canute and 6 others like this

The last few days I have been working on building the cabinetry for the kitchen.  I had to set up the workspace on the driveway, only place big enough to build the cabinets.  We're back into the 80s again and even now the sun can really beat down on you.  So I took a LOT of breaks to cool off.  

I made the side panels for the refrigerator and most of the pieces for the wall oven carcase.  Yesterday I dry assembled the wall oven carcase and set it in place (thus the clamps).  Then I placed the side panels on either side of the refrigerator (the blue tape is keeping them from falling over).  Suddenly it started to look like a kitchen. :)

Kitchen_025_zpsqu1roqpa.jpg

I still have to make the cabinetry in the middle section, for the cooktop.  And all that linoleum flooring will be coming up so I'm thinking before I permanently install the cabinetry we need to rent the flooring removal machine.  But right now my body is screaming at me for muscling 3/4" sheets of plywood into cabinets.  I'm walking around like a 98 year old woman.  

Haliburton, cog, Jack12477 and 13 others like this

Any video'son your moves Julie ;)

It does start to look like a kitchen. I had the same feeling when I installed my cabinets, and worktop. Suddenly you see a glimmer of light ... "I might even get it finished" goes thgrough your head, not for long though, something unexpected will certainly pop up ...

Have fun, and take care of your back

Haliburton, src, Canute and 6 others like this

Maybe things have changed since back when, but they used to put us in the hot tub first, then on ice to take care of those worn out and aching muscles.

Spent a lot of time in the training room every day after all the daily workouts. 

PS: I'd hate to get into a wrestling match with Julie Mo. From all that she does, she should be called, Julie Dynamo.

Carl, how did you know I threw out my back over the weekend?  Have you been peeking at the NSA files on me?  :huh:

Nah, I wouldn't have said your back but your rear :D :D :D

PS: I'd hate to get into a wrestling match with Julie Mo.

That brought back a memory... My son wrestled grade school through high school.  I used to get down on the living room floor with him and be his wrestling dummy.  I had always let him get the better of me to build his confidence.  One time, when he was in 8th grade (wrestling only 112 lbs.), he put me in some hold, turned me upside down and loud cracking sounds came from neck.  He immediately stopped, shocked and worried, and asked me if I was alright.  I wasn't in any pain and told him I was OK, but he never would wrestle with me again for fear he might really hurt me.  That was a strange moment.      

Julie,

Have you had neck problems since then?

If not, well your son did something good to you, that any chiropractor charges a lot for. On the other hand it might have created a disc problem that you have to pay for, sorry to say.

I have wrestled things (not moving targets) in my life and got neck problems.

Maybe it's an age thing......lol

Had a great 2 night getaway with the family at a nice resort on partially frozen Lake Simcoe. Great x country skiing and skating and a chance to use the indoor pool. Wonderful food too and no dishes to do!

mtaylor, Canute, JesseLee and 5 others like this

Today I had an epiphany. I've been shopping around for a fan to use in a spray paint booth. I'm going to be using acrylic, so "explosion proof" is not a neccessity, even if I could find one. The internet sites say 500 CFM.  Seems a bit high, but start there So, I've been looking at the squirrel cage type with the motor outside the case. Non explosion ones on Ebay with ~150 CFM go for about $60 US. I next thought of using an old dryer blower and motor. Used driers are about $100. I stopped and asked about broken ones at the local places, $35 or more.

Then I remembered the old electric leaf blower that has been dragging around my shop for 6 years, that my wife bought at a yard sale. Squirrel cage, motor  outside the blower housing, and lots of CFM. I think I have a volunteer!! I'll probably end up building an outside box to house it, to cut down on the noise, but for now construction can begin.

Haliburton, badams_ios, src and 4 others like this