Yambo

The "What have you done today?" thread.

3,662 posts in this topic

Explosion proof motor. If you are using volatile solvents, or paint. I can't even find such, except for boat blowers (ignition proof), and they all run off 12v. The highest reasonable one I found was 130 CFM, and would require a 5 AMP 12 V supply.

CFM Cubic Foot (feet?) per Minute. Lets say you have a 2' X 1 1/2' furnace filter. That's 3 Sq. feet of area. 130CFM would move 40 linear feet of air past it each minute. I think 130 CFM would be OK, but the plans I found, and a video, both wanted 500 CFM flow.

I'm looking at about a 2 foot cube. I think it may be a bit much too. Both the article and the video both said that 500 was needed for that size. We'll see.

If it is too much, then I can go for another blower with a lower rating. The one I will start with is free.

badams_ios, src, Canute and 2 others like this

Ron,

If you end up looking for something else and want free, try calling some local contractors and ask if they have any kitchen demos coming up. IIRC your average kitchen vent hood starts around 200cfm and the squirrel cage versions start in the 350+ range. You will have some grease to clean up most likely but you may find just what your looking for.

Sam

Ron,

Every day HomeDepot and Lowes has those open boxes deals on such appliances, you can find a returned unit for a fraction.

And thank you Sam, you gave me an idea for a spraybox!

Edit:

Even a new one with 190CFM with warranty cost around 40 dollars

thibaultron, Canute, src and 3 others like this

The trouble with the regular hood and bath fans is that the motor is in the air stream, and the vapors (if solvent type) can deteriorate the insulation. The squirrel cage hood fans run about 30 to 50 CFM, too low.

You can get new SC fans with about 130 CFM for $60, but if that is not enough, I've wasted the money. The leaf blower is rated 600 CFM. If that is too much I can ramp it down, to find the right value. A 500 CFM new fan runs about $150.

A drier runs about 130 also, if I can find a free one, I can try that later.

I'm looking at about a 2 foot cube. I think it may be a bit much too. Both the article and the video both said that 500 was needed for that size. We'll see.

If it is too much, then I can go for another blower with a lower rating. The one I will start with is free.

If you want to suck your parts through the filter too, you may have a winner...

davyboy, coxswain, src and 6 others like this

After looking at a few spray booths, and plans, here is what I'm planning on building. The top has a cutout for a light, I'll put plexiglass in the opening. The top hinges up so I can have more access to the top of the model, or to clear masts, if needed.

post-10090-0-30401200-1487249397_thumb.jpg

The front lip will also be a plexi piece. I think I'll use plastic wrap as an inside cover to both clear parts. I can strip it off and replace it, when it gets coated.

Doc,

I used an old vent hood when I lived in an apartment, as I recall it worked well for me. I was not aware of the insulation issue Ron mentioned though. It was only set up for about 6 months then I moved and moved on to other hobbies so I dont know what was happening with the internally.

Keep us posted on what you come up with Ron, I think more than a couple of us are interested in what you find.

Sam

Today started all sea mist and eerie - so I hied me off to the coast for lunch ( Fresh Cornish fish just off the boat and chips of course) and it just "happened " to be in Charlestown.

post-905-0-92530700-1487268038_thumb.jpg

SO I took these pics - theoretically to show a few practical details which may help my fellow modellers - but juuuuussst possibly just to make you all envious that I am so lucky to be so close to such vessels. 

The Galley belongs to the Charlestown Museum I think it was built for "Clash of the Titans" so authenticity may be questionable. post-905-0-20357300-1487267994_thumb.jpgpost-905-0-74596100-1487268014_thumb.jpg

The Brig is Phoenix - featured in many films  ( see www.square-sail.com)

post-905-0-06634800-1487268105_thumb.jpg

post-905-0-69770800-1487268161_thumb.jpg

post-905-0-53385900-1487268162_thumb.jpg

post-905-0-35291100-1487268163_thumb.jpg

post-905-0-48855000-1487268245_thumb.jpg

post-905-0-62205900-1487268246_thumb.jpg

post-905-0-45817600-1487268247_thumb.jpg

post-905-0-20258600-1487268248_thumb.jpg

post-905-0-23280400-1487268249_thumb.jpg

post-905-0-94554900-1487268249_thumb.jpg

post-905-0-70480500-1487268251_thumb.jpg

post-905-0-83832200-1487268250_thumb.jpg

Cleaning up the shipyard after an extended break due to significant work issues.  Also spent some time prepping a 1:1 scale kayak i've spent the last few months building for final varnishing.

After going over my drawings one last time, and finding a few errors, I started construction on my Spray Booth.

post-10090-0-01222600-1487371220_thumb.jpg

I've cut out all the plywood, and ripped a 1 X 6 into 3/4" strips. The strips are for the corners, to strengthen the joints.

Here is a picture of the sides, with the strips glued and nailed on. The ply is warped a little, so all the clamps are to hold the glue strips on solid, until the glue dries. I'll let them sit overnight, and do the rest tomorrow, when I the clamps are free.

post-10090-0-37494100-1487370789_thumb.jpg

The glue strips are sitting over at the left of the ramp. The rectangular arrangement of strips are for the filter mount and blower bulkheads. Most of the case is 3/8" ply (I would have preferred 1/2", but I had the 3/8"). The blower bulkhead is 3/4", as I felt the 3/8" was too thin for this. The notch on the larger end of the one side is a lap joint in the plywood. The ply is 3/8" exterior siding.

GemmaJF, CDW, Canute and 5 others like this

Got bitten by a dog over my left hand, he got my tennants, so I am currently on antibiotics.

Luckily, I am right handed.

Then I lost a small part for my longboat. Heard it hitting the floor, but nowhere to be found.

Gave up searching, made a cake, intended for a birthday tomorrow.

I can see clearly now, the dog bites are gone... Got my replacement lenses for my glasses today after the dog ate my glasses last week. It was like there were rain drops on my glasses for the last week.

Found a ~250 CFM Dayton blower on Ebay, for about 1/3 regular price, and broke down and bought it, for my spray booth. I think everyone was right and the leaf blower I was going to use would be too much suction, and way to loud.

src, Julie Mo, mtaylor and 4 others like this

Julie,

Have you had neck problems since then?

If not, well your son did something good to you, that any chiropractor charges a lot for. On the other hand it might have created a disc problem that you have to pay for, sorry to say.

I have wrestled things (not moving targets) in my life and got neck problems.

Maybe it's an age thing......lol

No Per, no problems.  I too thought about the inexpensive chiropractic move my son made on me at the time.  That wasn't the first time loud cracks emanating from my back shocked someone.  The first time I visited a chiropractor, he had me lay on the "adjustment" table and pushed down on my back.  The loud cracking caused him to step back from the table, stunned.  I was more worried by his reaction.   :o  But my back was fine.  After years of back problems I went to an orthopedic surgeon who gave me a subscription to back school.  I thought he was kidding.  But it was there I was educated on the workings of the back and the advantages of preventative medicine.  Only when I fail to take care of my back do I have problems - like recently! :rolleyes:  

CDW, thibaultron, mtaylor and 4 others like this

I haven't done much lately.  I was working on the cabinet for above the refrigerator and kept re-aggravating my back.  And I kept ignoring it.  I did manage to finish the cabinet and install it...

Kitchen_026_zps4fbsqetk.jpg

but that was it for the next few days.  I think I watched every program on science and history that was on TV until my eyeballs were sore.  I'm ready to dive back in but this time I will apply the lessons from back school, plus a little common sense.

Today I glued the corner strips to the bottom of the spray booth.

The booth will ultimately reside on a table with casters, so I can move it around. I have an old table top, that will be used for this.

As I mentioned before the plywood is warped. I don't have deep enough clamps to get to one of the internal corners. So I decided to screw the bottom to the table top, in the position it will be at. This flattened the ply.  In addition I temperarily screwed the corner pieces down also. I'll remove all the screws when I go to assemble the booth.

Here is the bottom screwed to the table. I'm left handed, thus the offset to the right. The left hand area will be for storage of the airbrush equipment.

post-10090-0-13818600-1487437794_thumb.jpg

Next I laid down the sides in alignment with the bottom, so I could position the internal corner pieces correctly.

post-10090-0-45659500-1487437805_thumb.jpg

Then I glued and screwed the pieces in place. I found that even with the bottom piece screwed to the table, the screws in the corner pieces were needed to get them to lay down without a gap.

I stopped here to let the glue dry overnight.

Here's the bottom finished as far as I want to go for now.

post-10090-0-27154700-1487437813_thumb.jpg

I still have to put in the piece for the bottom of the blower bulkhead, but I'm going to do that after the sides and bottom are assembled. Less chance of having it in the wrong spot, if the sides are not perfectly aligned. A good seal here is essential.

I stopped here to let the glue dry overnight.

src, Julie Mo, mtaylor and 3 others like this

I went to "back school" while working for the Steel Workers Union in West (by gawd) Virginia. We did natural gas and oil pipelines. My masters degree and doctorate came while carrying a 90 pound jack hammer all up and down the sides of those mountains, drilling and shooting dynamite all day on some days. Then cutting timber, clearing rights-of-way and carrying man sized pieces to our ditch line to aly across for the pipe to rest upon and be welded.

All kidding aside, it was the most physically demanding work I ever did and that includes my tour in the USMC and seven years as a middle weight fighter.

My back has never been the same since. :(  

src, Julie Mo, Canute and 3 others like this

I hurt my back, over the last 2 days, lugging my 10" miter saw, on the steel legs in and out of the shop. I managed to cut all the corner strips I'll need for the next couple days, so I can let it rest for a while.

I was taking it in and out, as the only place inside the shop, at the moment, to set it up is by the computer, and I'd rather not get sawdust in it.

Julie Mo, mtaylor, CDW and 2 others like this

My Dad used to see a chiropractor in the 60's. One day he took his wife to see if she'd like it. The Dr. saw that she was pregnant. Early 1962 to be exact. He asked her if she wanted a boy or girl. She said she was hoping (I) would be a boy. The Dr. told her to lay down and he could crack her back in a way to cause a boy.

They left. They never went back. Pardon the pun.

Medical doctors wanted to perform surgery on my back to correct the disk problems, saying that surgery and drugs were the only solution.

Sports chiropractors solved the problem with no surgery and no drugs. Didn't take long to get me back to par, and much less time than recovery from surgery would have required (on the assumption the surgery would have been successful).

One of my best friends got the surgery on his back. Ended up addicted to pain killers and died too young. Really pisses me off thinking about it. First surgeon screwed him up so bad he never recovered. The second surgery to "fix" the first one ended up killing him.

probablynot, cog, Julie Mo and 4 others like this

"Once they cut you open, you'll never be the same." 

That's what I was told when, at 17 years old, I got hit by a car while on my Honda Scrambler 90 and my knee took the worst of it.  The doctor was the brother in law of my best friend.  He told me to keep the knee muscles strong and avoid surgery, but once I hit 50 I could expect some problems.  It took another 15 years before that knee started giving me problems but I'll bet if I was still doing laps with the kickboard, that wouldn't be the case.

Don't mess with Mother Nature unless it's unavoidable.

My doctor wants me to have a something-oscopy to (she says) establish what's causing a certain recurring prostate problem.

I'm absolutely convinced that sticking anything up there, at my age, will cause more problems than it can possibly cure, so I'm fighting against it.  I don't want to die just because the medics want to satisfy their curiosity.  I'd rather just take the antibiotics every now and then.

But now, there's this current medical thinking that they have to try and restrict use of antibiotics.  So she's stopped letting me have a prescription 'in hand' so that I can nip problems in the bud.

So I'm living on the edge.  Slightest sign of symptoms, and I demand an emergency consultation.  For one more prescription.

It's hard work being old!

[Edit]  On the other hand my lovely Admiral, after two successful hip replacements, won't hear a bad word said about surgeons!

Brian, I would listen to your doctor.  I don't blame you for refusing but doctor knows best.  I don't imagine it's that bad.  It happens thousands of times a day.

I had arthritis in in my right hip that hurt so bad I couldn't drive my truck. Hurt too bad to go from the break to the gas and back. I agree, nothing better than mother nature. Now that prop 64 has passed, I've had NO pain what-so-ever!

Julie Mo, Nirvana, mtaylor and 3 others like this