Yambo

The "What have you done today?" thread.

No. Doctors are mainly concerned about quantity of life. I've already overshot my quantity entitlement, and I'm really looking for quality in the few years (months? Who knows?) that I might sneak as extras. I feel fine right now, and I know what works when something comes along to upset that.

Maybe I shouldn't have sounded off here. Just ignore me!

Quite Brian, there is a tendency to "keep 'em a live, whatever the cost" disregarding the wishes from the PERSON concerned. The hippocratic oath sometimes is a real curse, as are certain rules and regulations concerning our physical wellbeing.

I don't know how it is outside the USA, but here our society has become so litigious that the doctors will take extraordinary steps to ensure they cannot be found liable in case a family member  of a patient decides they want some money to go along with their grief. Happens all the time and it's pure garbage.

Gone are the days when a doctor can freely speak their mind about the potential good or bad of a particular course of action. They will always steer the patient toward excess so long as it means it covers their butt so to speak.

I read an article in Newsweek, from 2014. The doctor who did the fat intake vs. heart failure rate used "Cherry Picked" data. Ie. He ignored countries with high fat and low heart rate failure, and concentrated only on countries that matched his desired results. One of the Mediterranean Sea island countries he used was right after WWII. Due to the war they had a diet based on war shortages, not the one they had before and a few years after, with high fat content, and low heart failure rate. He even left out counties neighboring his chosen ones, which didn't fit his needs.

Following his recs. American doctors have been pushing low fat, with bulldozer strength. Result, we continue to get fatter, and have a higher heart failure rate! Culprit - Carbohydrates! All the things  (sugar, starches, etc.) they put in the low fat food to make it palatable.

The article said "Don't go out and pig out regularly with fast food burgers, but you can have fat back in your diet." The result, eat a reasonable diet, in reasonable amounts.

I once took a Statistics course. The first day the teacher started out with this (paraphrased, it's been 40 years so I don't remember it word for word). "According to statistics every person in the country has one breast and one testicle. There are lies, damn lies, and statistics." He was pointing out that you have to pick the correct criteria, when even trying to use stats correctly, and if you want to skew the results, you can easily!

Another bug-a-boo (at least in the US), is that giving your children vaccinations can cause some to have horrible side effects, everything from mental damage, to death, on a frequent basis! Result more and more fearful parents are not giving the kids their shots. Common illnesses are once again running through our young populations. Chicken Pox, Mumps, Measles, etc. A recent review by a panel of doctors reveled, that ALL that doctor's data was falsified!! He made a fortune, though, being paid for TV appearances, books, expert witness at trials, etc.!

Lost my phone yesterday morning. I'm starting a new job Wen., and they couldn't call me for any rescheduling (which they'd had to do already)!

I went everywhere I'd been, looking and calling it to hear the ring tone, nothing! Had the number suspended, and bought another phone on Ebay, even paid extra for faster shipping.

Went to feed the cats last night, and there was the phone, in the cat food tub, on silent! It must have fallen out of my pocket when I fed them in the morning, or they are getting into practical jokes.

Oh well, the Ebay phone is nicer.

I once took a Statistics course. The first day the teacher started out with this (paraphrased, it's been 40 years so I don't remember it word for word). "According to statistics every person in the country has one breast and one testicle. There are lies, damn lies, and statistics." He was pointing out that you have to pick the correct criteria, when even trying to use stats correctly, and if you want to skew the results, you can easily!

My Statistics professor started the 1st day of classes with this (paraphrased a little, been 50 yrs or so) "welcome to Statistics 101, the Science by which you can prove anything." Then he proceeded to use Statistical data to prove that A was true, then turned around and using the same data proved that  A was false. Then he said " we will now spend the rest of the semester teaching you how I did that"   He did ! :D :D

There's an old saying "Figures don't lie, but liars can figure" ;)

Edited by Jack12477

Today I glued the sides onto the bottom of my spray booth.

Before I start, for my mother should she ever read this. Yes, shop horrible mess, you raised me better, suitably ashamed. Sorry. :-)

I started out dry fitting them. The filter frame will not be glued in today, but it is being used as a jig to keep the sides square, and correctly oriented front to back. It is tight against it's glue strips which are already attached to the sides.

post-10090-0-48778900-1487522025_thumb.jpg

I disassembled the parts and marked the bottom of the sides for where the long strips mated to it. Then I drilled 1/16th pilot screws through the ply. The purple paint was put on by the lumberyard. The panels were damaged, so I got them for 70% off. The paint is how they indicate to the cashier that this is the case. The damage was to the lap joint notches, so didn't affect this use.

post-10090-0-41230000-1487522048_thumb.jpg

After putting the side and frame mount back in I installed the screws. Starting in the middle, due to warp in the plywood, I drilled the pilot holes through the glue strips and ran in the screws. Then, naturally I installed the other side.

post-10090-0-58505600-1487522033_thumb.jpg

I found that both sides bowed in, so I had to clamp the filter mount in firmly, and put a screw in to hold it in place.

post-10090-0-76263800-1487522057_thumb.jpg

I mistakenly installed the glue strips at the back of the booth to the side pieces, so I couldn't put screws in from the bottom, with everything screwed to the table. I used my two long clamps to hold those two joints tight to the bottom. Tomorrow, I'll remove it from the table, put in screws, and reattach it.

post-10090-0-92028000-1487522019_thumb.jpg

One side at the back was twisted in, so I clamped it from the side, another reason the two glue strips should have been attached to the bottom first.

post-10090-0-03991300-1487522065_thumb.jpg

The strips and ply come out to 1 1/8" thick, and my screws are 1 1/4" long. When I'm done, I'll go back with a motor tool and cut the ends flush.

post-10090-0-03923100-1487522041_thumb.jpg

Julie Mo, Nirvana, CDW and 4 others like this

I feel like this spray booth build is probably too much detail for this thread, so I've started a new thread"My Spray Booth Construction", I'm getting it up to date with some of the past posts. I should be complete through today's posts, by this evening.

CDW, Nirvana, Canute and 2 others like this

Well, I know my doctor probably would have cautioned me on tackling gluing up a huge cabinet...

I cut all the biscuit slots and pocket holes and dry assembled the oven cabinet.  It's a beast!  I cut biscuits in to help with alignment and give it some strength.  The pocket hole screws are to make up for the lack of clamps.  Even with all the clamps I own, I don't have enough large clamps for this project.

I started around 9AM and checked and double checked the dry fit with all the biscuits in.  Everything fit perfectly.  Then I took it all apart, removed all the biscuits and dropped glue in the slots of the face frame.

Kitchen_027_zpspalni7y7.jpg

Then came the assembly.  Even with my SO helping and only gluing a section at a time, we couldn't get it done fast enough and things started to set.  Then came the real work of knocking or clamping everything into place.  I was dripping wet.  But, it's done!

Kitchen_028_zpsjultybi6.jpg

After the glue up, I added back braces for screwing to the wall and a back board for the upper cabinet, which will have doors.  The bottom will be drawers.

Kitchen_029_zpsion5drya.jpg

I cooled down, took a shower and in a little while I'll stand it up and wave that task goodbye.  The next cabinet should go easier.  I hope!

Hi Julie

Tough, but satisfying work you're doing, for sure.

Will your 'Significant Other' (SO) cook you a mega roast beef meal when the kitchen's finally done?

I reckon you definitely deserve it!

Cheers

Patrick

Nirvana, Julie Mo, Canute and 5 others like this

Got the filter frame wall, and the sloped back installed on the spray booth.

Also discovered a LOT of carpenter ants flying around the lights in the shop, mating. Sigh, I thought I'd licked them last year. I'll have to get some more ant bait/poison, and check all the wood kits, to make sure none of them have gotten to them.

post-10090-0-64275500-1487624985_thumb.jpg

Julie Mo, Nirvana, Canute and 7 others like this

Went to one of the largest outdoor flea markets in Florida today, the Webster Flea Market in Sumter County.

The market sits in the middle of a 35 acre old pasture field filled with Live Oaks. It's been in business there for around 50 years now, only open on Mondays.

My 92 year-old cousins own and work a little food trailer there for the past 30 or more years. Can't hardly believe they are still at it at their age, but I guess it's smart because they are both very healthy and happy. They are on their feet in that hot little food trailer from 5:00 AM till 3:00 PM. Other days, they have a food catering business. They are millionaires and don't have a financial need to work at all. They do it because they love to work.

About the market: no telling what you'll find there, antiques and items of every description. Takes a full day to see everything, and then you'll have to hurry to see it all. If you are ever in Florida and have a Monday that's free, take a little trip to the Webster Flea Market. You'll be glad you did. 

;) Last night I saw that my favorite site was offline. Withdrawals happened. And anxiety. I figured they were upgrading to the newest version of the software which is - as you can see, considerably different. Don't worry, you'll quickly learn the tricks and at the same time MSW will be fixing quirks.

Note that this new version has been out for over a year. That means MSW must have tested it for over a year. Shows caution. Love it. EXPECT issues. Know that they'll be fixing things quickly. These guys are good, here.

How do I know? I use the same system they do for my BBS. I had my system setup exactly like MSW did. Took me months! Luckily, I hadn't brought it live yet. Upgrading would have messed up my system bad! Notice how the background is no longer transparent? The gallery photo's at the top are larger and the gallery itself is very different. Me, I removed the old version and installed the new one starting over.

Kudos to the MSW support team!

Things I might help with. If you share on facebook or any of the other social media, it will post the ENTIRE thread! 109 pages and counting. Haven't figured out how to fix that yet. I see a lot of posts with extra spacing. I'll get back to you on that shortly. Mine's not doing that.

I'll try to help, but I'm not as good as MSW is.

Hope I don't get in trouble for self promotion, but I need help. I just started a BBS that uses this same software. I need people to test it. Make suggestions, I probably have dozens of typo's, and content needs to be started.

Problem is, the site is for the City of Oakdale, Ca.

fun4oakdale.us. If you want to help, you have to pretend you live in Oakdale. You'll be asked for the City name and zip-code. You know the City by now, the zip is 95361.

I don't want to bring it online until I know it's stable and usable.

Canute, thibaultron, Nirvana and 1 other like this

I looked at my model, a ship laying on its side waiting for the owner to get back to work.  Then I looked around a really messy workshop and talked myself out of cleaning it up so I can work on the model.  Then I poured myself a drink and began the weekend.

mrjimmy, Canute, Haliburton and 7 others like this

Today I got a letter from AT&T. Said there was a problem with my auto-pay setup. Please fill in the form with your current bank account, routing number...etc. I sent a letter back saying KISS MY BUTT! Not in so may words though.

Late last year I got a call from "Microsoft Support". Could barely understand the guy, but he said I had a virus that was sending out mass email. I thought, "This could be fun". Note that I am a retired internet security officer. Tells me to do this and that to verify I have the virus. Nothing he's telling me to do is working. He want's me to install an app that will allow him to access my system from remote and fix it. Gosh, I say, that program won't load. I can't install it. I milked this for some 20 minutes while I employed some of my favorite tools.

Then I said, hey, you live in Pune, India! If you'll stay on the line I'll get your exact address and turn it over to the FBI. Click. He hung up! I wonder why he hung up. Oh yeah, I don't use Windows, I use Linux.

This past summer I was summoned for jury duty. Asking questions of the jurors, they get to me and before they can ask anything I blurt out, "Hang him! What did he do?" I was dismissed. Got a call 2 weeks later telling me I had to pay a fine of $480 for missing jury duty. Man said not to hang up or they'd send a sheriff to arrest me. Said to go to the local Sheriff and use a Kiosk to send him TWO payments of $240 and he'll give me the information on how to do it when I get there. Do NOT hang up. Keep the line open while you drive or we'll be out to arrest you. Put him on speaker phone and used the wife's phone to call the Sheriff. Put the Sheriff on speaker phone and asked the caller to repeat himself to the Sheriff... He hung up. I wonder why they all keep hanging up.

Mark P, Jack12477, Julie Mo and 8 others like this

From time to time when I get the annoying calls I also happen to "work" with telemarketer specially the ones that doesn't listen to your responses.

Sometimes I just put them on speaker and let them work their script.

My home phone line is included as part of a package deal from my ISP. Everyone who knows me calls me on my cell phone. Never the less, I get at least 5 calls a day on my home phone from telemarketers or similar. :(

Donotcall.gov

Add your numbers

https://www.optoutprescreen.com

Stop credit card offers wich can effect your credit score.

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0262-stopping-unsolicited-mail-phone-calls-and-email

FTC information

For voice over IP (Which a lot of packaged systems use) go to nomorobo.com

46 minutes ago, badams_ios said:

Donotcall.gov

Add your numbers

https://www.optoutprescreen.com

Stop credit card offers wich can effect your credit score.

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0262-stopping-unsolicited-mail-phone-calls-and-email

FTC information

For voice over IP (Which a lot of packaged systems use) go to nomorobo.com

Been on both the Federal and NY state list since their inception! Worthless!  They keep right on calling anyway. Even used the reporting system, worthless also.

Nirvana, thibaultron, src and 6 others like this