Yambo

The "What have you done today?" thread.

3,405 posts in this topic

Jack, thanks, still a learning curve for me, working out which gouges to use & the carving cuts, my teacher is an excellent carver but a bit disinterested in the subjects I choose. Last carving was an oak leaf cluster.

IMG_0921.JPG

Today I finished my second day of training at Walmart, for my new job there. It looks like about 7 days of training, a bit more than I was expecting for a glorified Janitor job, but they are paying me for the training. It will bring in play money though.

"Finished" my Spray Booth, except for painting. The blower is a bit too powerful, but it doesn't seem to suck the paint away from the model.

Today after four days intensive work I completed the restoration of the hull stage part of my Pegasus log which fell  foul of the recent upgrade.

It will soon be available for viewing.

DSC01819.thumb.JPG.34bb9749e2d5f87cd0e9028058f6254f.JPG

B.E.

No, the blower manual specifically states that it can't be used on speed reducing circuits. Most AC electric motors generally have the speed set by the frequency of the line voltage, not the voltage itself. The explanation is long, and complicated, but has to do with physics, and AC motor design. Reducing the voltage, or trying to cut the motor on and off (how a dimmer works) simply cause it to stall.

Nirvana, src, Omega1234 and 4 others like this

Hi folks

Today, despite the heat (35C), I finally managed to put in a 50km ride on my road bike.  I was a tad disappointed with myself, because I was hoping to do 70kms today, but alas, the heat got the better of me, causing me to turn around and head home, earlier than expected.

Here are a couple of photos (taken a few weeks ago) of my trusty steed.  For those interested in road bikes, she's a Colnago C60, with full Campagnolo componentry, including a Super Record 11Groupset and Zipp 303 wheels.  The tyres are Vittoria's.

All the best!

Patrick

IMG_2314.JPG

IMG_2315.JPG

48 minutes ago, thibaultron said:

No, the blower manual specifically states that it can't be used on speed reducing circuits. Most AC electric motors generally have the speed set by the frequency of the line voltage, not the voltage itself. The explanation is long, and complicated, but has to do with physics, and AC motor design. Reducing the voltage, or trying to cut the motor on and off (how a dimmer works) simply cause it to stall.

Ron,

I dont know how far you want/need to go with speed control but there are speed controls that control the HZ to the motor rather than voltage. We have two custom built lathes that we turn foam on to create mold plugs. They are just the ticket when turning a 10' diameter "thingy." They might be a bit pricey for what you are doing but could be an option. Best guess is the control will cost more than the project.:(

Sam

Omega1234, cog, donrobinson and 6 others like this

Today I wondered why none the the StarTrek Enterprise' had seat belts. I mean, how many times have these people been tossed around? They don't even have airbags in the future?

Omega1234, django56, Canute and 4 others like this

4 minutes ago, badams_ios said:

Today I wondered why none the the StarTrek Enterprise' had seat belts. I mean, how many times have these people been tossed around? They don't even have airbags in the future?

Maybe no airbags in the future, but Bill Shatner turned out to be quite a 'wind bag'. :piratebo5:

Nevertheless, quite an excellent observation, Sherlock. 

Built the base for the table my spray booth will sit on. I made it deep enough to hold the larger spray booth I may make. The blower is a little powerful for this booth. The extensions at the back are so the whole assembly will not be "back Heavy" with the weight of the blower hanging off the back.

58bcc4e5a8a7d_TableBase_01.thumb.JPG.796a92d6076e7c39afa159236c073837.JPG

58bcc4e7085f5_TableBase_02.thumb.JPG.65f05f5a2a5c1f7d0e75678e769636a5.JPG

Ever seen Boston Legal? It's a more accurate depiction. Hilarious. Imagine the real Bill... WAS the self proclaimed undefeated, best lawyer in Boston. How he's a demented old man that objectifies woman. LOVES guns!

Omega1234, mtaylor, Nirvana and 3 others like this

Today, despite the heat (35C), I finally managed to put in a 50km ride on my road bike.  I was a tad disappointed with myself, because I was hoping to do 70kms today, but alas, the heat got the better of me, causing me to turn around and head home, earlier than expected.

Patrick

Very impressive Patrick! Today I drove 0.5km for some beer. Perhaps not as impressive as your feat but equally satisfying.

Canute, Julie Mo, MEDDO and 9 others like this

12 minutes ago, dvm27 said:

Patrick

Very impressive Patrick! Today I drove 0.5km for some beer. Perhaps not as impressive as your feat but equally satisfying.

Hehe... Thanks Greg  I definitely had a big chuckle and a smile on my face after reading your reply!!!!  I agree, anytime you earn a beer, it's gotta be satisfying.

Cheers

Patrick

13 minutes ago, Aceman said:

Way to go Patrick!! Love the bike.

Cheers

Jerry

Thanks Jerry

She's a beautiful cross between art and machine. Lovely to ride and beautifully comfortable.

Have a great week!

Cheers

Patrick

Excellent work space, Acemen. I love the look of the wood interior walls.

Near me, there's a little mill that fabricates just about any type of wood work or trim pieces the heart desires. Their prices are quite a bit less than the big box home improvement stores, too. Was just looking at their tongue and groove boards like those a few weeks ago. Nice!

Seeing that beautiful bicycle reminds me of the bike and walking trail I pass every day when I take the kids back and forth to school. Guys are riding some VERY unusual bikes these days. They are all laid back like they are in a lounge chair while riding. :huh: 

Seems those would be a bit hard to get used to riding, but maybe not?

35 minutes ago, Nirvana said:

Had a great job interview today.

It's promising!

I retired seven years ago (gee whiz, time does fly by), so someone will need to remind me what all this "work" stuff is all about. I have a vague recollection of it, but everything is sort of foggy. :D

On 3/3/2017 at 5:46 PM, thibaultron said:

"Finished" my Spray Booth, except for painting. The blower is a bit too powerful, but it doesn't seem to suck the paint away from the model.

Could it be moving air so fast that it creates a small diameter cone of moving air?  If so, maybe increasing the depth of the back box might help.

On 3/5/2017 at 9:24 PM, dvm27 said:

Today I drove 0.5km for some beer. Perhaps not as impressive as your feat but equally satisfying.

Try putting a beer on the end of a stick and taping the stick to your head.  I always seem to get an extra minute or two of exercise when I do that.