Yambo

The "What have you done today?" thread.

3,667 posts in this topic
58 minutes ago, daddyrabbit1954 said:

I've had a hard time with the guitar because my hands and fingers are too large. Maybe I should take up piano?

Julie was talking about small hands Mr Bunny(!) On the other hand "Fat Fingers Bunny" on the keys does have a nice ring to it :)

That's quite an accomplishment, John.  Only three hours to teach your bro to back into a narrow slip in a stiff breeze without causing any heart attacks?  You must be quite the teacher and your brother quite the student.  I've been on the instructor end and I can count on one hand the number of students who could learn so quickly.  Some just never got it.

Julio Mo

I should have prefaced that. He did have some prior experience, he owned a 19 foot pleasure boat and was not totally green. He was an experienced off shore snapper fisherman, and was a good hand with electronics, and ground tackle using GPS and anchoring on reef material in stiff offshore currents.

That being said it was not a smooth beginning, for the first couple of hours until he relaxed with the throttles the backwash was like little tsunamis, and pity the neighbor trying to drink a cup of coffee. :default_wallbash:

Canute, CDW, Haliburton and 7 others like this

A couple days ago I got the casters on the base, and assembled the top to it. The booth is screwed to it also. I'd post some pictures, but right now I was able to just clear enough space to set it up in the middle of the clutter in my work shop. The area it, and most of the clutter will go, hasn't been been finished yet.

Yesterday, I painted the inside of the spray booth white, and added a temporary light to the top.

Unfortunately the only good can of white I had was flat white, my gloss white is so old I would have needed a putty knife to apply it! When I opened it, it was the consistency of well stirred grape jelly. I'll have to buy another small can of it. I want gloss to make cleanup easier.

The light I put in is one of those small 18" kitchen under cabinet ones. It normally hangs under the shelf over my work bench, to add fill in light, while I'm working there. It does make the interior quite bright, so for now it will do.

Today I plan on painting the outside, if I can find the can of tan paint I have somewhere in the above clutter.

Julie Mo, donrobinson, jud and 5 others like this

0930 this morning used the snowblower to clear 11-12 inches of snow from driveway. 

1315 looks like I never cleared the driveway, at least 7 more inches has fallen. Still blowing and snowing. 

Nirvana, Omega1234, CDW and 5 others like this

Just got back from the big city. The thermocouple crapped out on my GSW 6 30Gal Water heater. Well let me tell you on this puppy changing the thermocouple involves replacing the Burner The pilot light assembly and the Gas valve.... Why do you ask that a $17 dollar item should involve all the above!!

Well it is a propane water heater and the thermocouple had a left handed thread and the manufacturer does not make this part any more, the replacement is an upgrade to the new system which include a new system that appears to be as absurd as the former.

After all it is only $169 dollars for the part.....

The thing is I have to drain the tank and replace the gas valve. which means shutting off the gas undoing a bunch of Iron pipe connections, replacing the valve hooking everything back together. So the rest of the day is going to what I am doing rather than what I have done.

As a designer I am pretty ticked as the colossal waste of components because of one small Item.

It is a good job that i put all this stuff together in the house in the first place because at least I know how to fix it.

Had I known then that this tank would have this issue I would have done more research and purchased a different tank.

I am sort of over the proverbial barrel as they say because a new tank is upwards of $700, Oh yes and the new burner is tin, the old one was cast iron, the new gas valve has more plastic in it that a revel kit of the Ark royal and the old one was Aluminum.

It will likely be tomorrow before this saga is over.

Michael

I'm not sure how old your tank is but I can honestly tell you that all tanks have a shelf life.  And actually GSW is a premium brand in the market place.  Most hot water tanks have a useful life of about 10 years and a final service life of 15.  Which means, if you get 15 years out of it your doing amazing.  If you are saying that your tank is only 5 years old then I would certainly contact GSW, they may be able to do something for you.

Altduck, cog, Nirvana and 5 others like this

15 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

Jeez... all I did was mow the lawn.  Compared to water heaters and blizzards, I've got it easy.

yep Mark, you sure got off easy!:P

In comparison to dealing with old water heater and blizzards, I like your response.

I feel sorry for all others.

Admins: Can we get an "I feel sorry" button?   Just kidding.

23 minutes ago, Nirvana said:

I feel sorry for all others.

Admins: Can we get an "I feel sorry" button?   Just kidding.

I'm in agreement.  There are some things an "I'm sorry" button would be perfect for.

Canute, Jack12477, Nirvana and 3 others like this

Years ago (about 35), I had the throttle linkage pop of the carb. The little plastic clip holding it on broke. When I went to the dealer to get another one, surprise!! They did not sell the clip separately, you had to buy the whole carb!!! The parts person looked at me for a few seconds, shook his head, then took the clip off the new carb. and handed to to me. He said no charge, that he would return the new carb. as defective. He said that having to buy the whole carb. was ridiculous!

donrobinson, src, davyboy and 5 others like this

Poured all the water back into the water heater,I had saved it in a large new garbage can purchased for the job ( I have an internal cistern and it needs filling tomorrow, I have to drive to the water station 20 kilometers with my 250 gal cube) I do not wast any water, and because there was not enough to pump it full. Took about an hour with a jug and a funnel to pour 40 gallons back in the top cold inlet. reassembled all the propane iron pipe lines checked for leaks (none) took a minute to clear the air out of the valve.

She's back up and running warming up the water.

Got 'er done!

Michael

src, Altduck, Canute and 9 others like this

Had a good rehearsal with the band for the gig May 24th.

During the three hours today, we worked on 6 songs.

Broke them down and worked on special areas that needed special attention.

"Finished" the spray booth, here is a picture. I still have to paint the base, but that can wait, I ran out of cheap paint brushes, and its been too cold for me to want to clean out a good one, at the outside faucet.

58cabf9b56777_BoothAndTable_01.thumb.JPG.3d7721d75e0191ca381c39f84a008aac.JPG

cog, Omega1234, Nirvana and 3 others like this

Hey howya goin all, I'm about to watch a new episode of Black Sails BLOODY good show you get to see old ship at sea although some of the ships are CGI there is still a few that are real. It's a TV series about captain Flint yes the priate from Treasure Island. It's set in a time before Treasure Island happen.