Yambo

The "What have you done today?" thread.

43 minutes ago, rtwpsom2 said:

Lou the only hard computer stuff you need to know to do 3D printing is CAD or 3D modeling

That is the catch. I have ZERO exposure to either and the things i would want to make would require an understanding of both. I'm pretty sure I could become capable in both over time but right now I am trying to just get my build looking like I think it should.

Got the mini mill up and running, even made a few aluminum shavings to test, but now I can't find any of my clamps I bought back then.  Gonna have to get a new set. Not gonna bother looking at the lathe for a couple weeks, it can't get any worse in that time frame. Guess I'll go catch up on some light novels.

A good instructional series is on YouTube https://www.youtube.com/user/mrpete222

He uses full size equipment, but you can learn the technques from his videos.

I would recommend getting a cheap set of carbide insert cutters for the lathe, 1/4 or 3/8". Get the 3/8, if your lathe will hold them.

Travers tools  carries them, look for them on sale.

https://www.travers.com/terra-carbide-5-piece-turning-sets-with-additional-inserts/p/641346/?keyword=carbide indexable turning set&lite=true&pricelistname=SITE

https://www.travers.com/terra-carbide-5-piece-turning-sets-with-additional-inserts/p/641346/?keyword=carbide indexable turning set&lite=true&pricelistname=SITE

Go for the cheaper set.

Other suppliers carry them also, so do an internet search. Each insert gives you 3 cutting points, and should last you a while.

Now that I am upgrading my 3D printer to a larger one, I think I shall look into converting the old one to a laser cutter. 

I've been researching creative ways to build my own laser cutter on a tight budget, and I believe I may have found a way to use my old 3D printer to do just that.

For anyone who might be interested, take a look at this video for how it's done.

23 minutes ago, rtwpsom2 said:

I'm pretty sure I saw a kit for that on Amazon.  Well I saw one for the CR-10, not sure what your starter one was.

My old printer is an Anet A8. All the conversion pieces are on Thingiverse. All I need to buy is my laser and the connectors I want to use to make it a quick-change from the extruder head to the laser head.

On 6/30/2018 at 12:08 PM, probablynot said:

Today I teak-oiled my workshop worktop.

It's not exactly a once-in-a-blue-moon sort of occasion, but it only seems to happen when I'm in between shipbuilding projects.

workshop092r.thumb.JPG.ebec6963cd2982c6f1a9c1fb18b3fa03.JPG

Nice set up Brian.

From the pages of "What have you learned lately"...  

I learned oyster plants really do inflame your skin.  On Saturday I was clearing out the unwanteds from plant beds.  A rather aggressive weed grass had woven its way in one of the oyster plants.  I went in bare hands & arms and pulled the unwanted out.  Took a few tries to get it all out.  Later, my weeding arm started burning.  It's still a bit inflamed.

Yes, oyster plants will get you. 

Why is it so many tropical plants want to hurt you?

17 minutes ago, Julie Mo said:

Why is it so many tropical plants want to hurt you?

Maybe they're just really angry at not being in their native environment?   Or, they're mutating like Audrey (Little Shop of Horrors). ;)

2 hours ago, mtaylor said:

Maybe they're just really angry at not being in their native environment? 

Kinda like going to sleep in Indonesia and waking up in the Everglades next to an alligator.

10 hours ago, Canute said:

Nice stuff, Julie. Listened to them for years.

I never heard of them until the other day.  I like their version of Street Player better than the original.  From Russia with love. ;)

Edited by Julie Mo

37 minutes ago, Julie Mo said:

I never heard of them until the other day.  I like their version of Street Player better then the original.  From Russia with love. ;)

Never heard of the band, Chicago until a few days ago? Wow

7 hours ago, CDW said:

Never heard of the band, Chicago until a few days ago? Wow

Yeah, I've been living in a cave... in Chicago B)

Now you have me thinking about when I bought their first album, CTA.  Was that really 49 years ago?  :o

But pretty soon it will once again have a respectable home, right below to the turntable I bought 46 years ago.  Who needs a time machine?

28 minutes ago, Julie Mo said:

Yeah, I've been living in a cave... in Chicago B)

Now you have me thinking about when I bought their first album, CTA.  Was that really 49 years ago?  :o

But pretty soon it will once again have a respectable home, right below to the turntable I bought 46 years ago.  Who needs a time machine?

:o:D:dancetl6: You tricked me good on that one Julie Mo!

Well, Best Buy just announced that they are pulling Audio CDs from their shelves and ceasing to sell them.  BUT they will continue to sell VINYL :o  Said it was because the CDs are now available thru streaming and downloads.  :(:(

27 minutes ago, Jack12477 said:

Well, Best Buy just announced that they are pulling Audio CDs from their shelves and ceasing to sell them.  BUT they will continue to sell VINYL :o  Said it was because the CDs are now available thru streaming and downloads.  :(:(

What’s this world coming too? They never sold the music I listen to anyway.

11 minutes ago, Nirvana said:

Black is back, AC/DC

:) Vinyl album is coming back, many groups are now getting their music out by streaming media or on the old black vinyl.

Turntables are coming back too.

Good thing I kept my turntable :D