Yambo

The "What have you done today?" thread.

3,405 posts in this topic

That's not actually what I meant to post, but when I started typing, I doubled over a laughed out loud.

What I started to say was:

Today I posted the following on my favorite forum: I had a great idea! (Well, you be the judge)

The wife and I have been looking forever for some one to play a card game called spades. Here's what I'm thinking. Must be 4 people for 2 teams, thus probably a couple:) I think 2 email addresses would suffice.

I've heard from many that the game requires no strategy. If you want to play you must describe a situation in which strategy is real!

35 years ago I was unbeatable. My wife has never seen a game completed.

Sorry if I stepped on any messages, I think to much when I type. I really don't know much about my language, i.e. grammar, but I can fake it pretty well. Or is that good?

thibaultron, Nirvana, Canute and 1 other like this

Thanks, Doc. Guess I'll see if I can buy it on amazon. All these smart tv's phones, I should be able to watch it somehow. Just too broke from buying all the toys to afford Starz or HBO or anything. Hulu and Netflix, Amazon...etc.

Must be spring somewhere. Awful quiet around here.

To day I told my wife I was trying to set the little Howard Miller alarm clock to within a 10th of a second from the atomic clock. I said the best I could do was 100th of a second. No one ever gets my jokes.

Spades through email. The flaw was so obvious.

thibaultron, dvm27, Nirvana and 4 others like this

5 hours ago, badams_ios said:

Must be spring somewhere. Awful quiet around here.

To day I told my wife I was trying to set the little Howard Miller alarm clock to within a 10th of a second from the atomic clock. I said the best I could do was 100th of a second. No one ever gets my jokes.

Spades through email. The flaw was so obvious.

Hmmm, probablynot Brian (that is a coincidence), it is like kicking in an open door ...

Splurged on toys. Bought three sets of detailed tender trucks for my Santa Fe locos. I'm converting an old Mantua/Tyco 2-8-2, and a newer Athearn Genesis 2-8-2 to SF standoff scale ones. involves replacing the cabs, and tenders, as well as smaller details. I'm using old MDC cabs and oil tender bodies, the new 6 wheel trucks, and 3D printing new tender frames. The frames are based on the Mantua metal frames, shortened and with the bolsters respaced.

I also ordered a Cricut Explore digital cutting machine. One of the type used for scrapbooking. It can cut basswood sheet up to about 3/64th inch. I'll use it for ship frames and parts, as well as for HO structures. I have about 75 "Clever Models" photo realistic structure kit/files, that I'll print on card and cut out with the machine. I won a contest they ran on naming a new line of kits, and got all the download files for 75% off. I have more than enough for most of the buildings on my layout.

On 3/20/2017 at 4:41 PM, badams_ios said:

Mike Tyson just shuddered.

Large hands is a genetic thing from my father's family. My grandfather and great grandfather were enormous men with hands to match. 

I have a picture of my great grandfather taken somewhere around the turn of the century, standing in front of his blacksmith's shop with his sons (including my grandfather). My grandfather was 6'3" tall, and his head only came up to my great grandfather's shoulder in height. Huge man. 

My grandfather owned a hardware business. They used to buy all sorts of things like nails in bulk quantities and they came packed in wooden barrels/kegs. A keg of nails must have weighed at least 200 pounds I'd guess, but I was too young back then to pick one up so I am not sure exactly. But my grandfather would show off his strength by picking up a full keg of nails using just his fingertips to hold the wooden rim on top of the keg, then he would hold the keg straight out in front of him without bending his arms. He was one of those guys you would never want to get his hands on you for any kind of angry reason. 

Here, my grandfather stand on the dock on the far left. Standing beside these two average size men gives an idea of how big he was. When I was a kid, he weighed close to five hundred pounds. 

grandpa west.jpg

Yesterday we rapped up a 6 month stretch of heavy overtime with just a few days off here and there, culminating in a 24 hour long shift to complete the install. Today I get to catch up on MSW and sleep.

Sam