Yambo

The "What have you done today?" thread.

3 hours ago, lmagna said:

After a few more kids, (I'm coming up on #4 this summer with another one in about five years.) you go right past gray hairs and either loose them outright or go directly to white!

There is life after teen hood so you can look forward to that.

Well, we have only one little guy (unfortunately cant have more) but he's starting to be a lot of work (2 years old).

What i did today has everything to do with him:

placed additional locks out of his reach on bathroom and kitchen doors so they can be locked from both sides with a thumb-lock (baby-safe-gates are not working anymore as he learned how to climb over)

replaced monitor-stand on my desk with a wall-holder

dining-room table has been moved to the wall, chairs pushed between wall and table so he cant move them for climbing if we look the other way

Counting down 4 weeks from now when he finally goes to Day-Care :D

16 hours ago, MEDDO said:

Definitely a few more grey hairs...

Micheal,

Brings back memories.  The Police knocked on the door and advised my father was letting my son drive his car. He was 12 at the time.  I asked my father what are you thinking of his reply there's no traffic its off season and the Island has only one stop sign. I told him no more he's putting the Police on the spot and we have to work together.

Next day Police visiting again, please tell your father no more, Dad you have to stop his reply I was feeling feint and afraid I'd pass out. Well I told Police all friends place him under arrest and handcuff him and put him in the Island lockup I knew he would do it again.

Two days later he ended up in the lockup, picked up my son and Dear Ole Dad. He said man I thought they would let me slide you know there serious. Scared son, told him never ask Grand dad to drive again. He never knew it was a set-up and it cured the problem. Micheal thanks for the memory got my smile for the day:)

7 hours ago, Jasseji said:

unfortunately cant have more

Don't be so certain. The only way you might be reasonably certain that you don't have more kids is to lock all the doors, turn out the lights, don't answer the phone, move and don't leave a forwarding address, and probably change your name. Even then you could possibly end up with another kid but the chances are at least reduced somewhat.

Also remember that making a house kid proof is kind of like making a toy fool proof. Fools are ingenious, and so are kids!:o:D 

2 minutes ago, lmagna said:

Don't be so certain. The only way you might be reasonably certain that you don't have more kids is to lock all the doors, turn out the lights, don't answer the phone, move and don't leave a forwarding address, and probably change your name. Even then you could possibly end up with another kid but the chances are at least reduced somewhat.

Also remember that making a house kid proof is kind of like making a toy fool proof. Fools are ingenious, and so are kids!:o:D 

Well, he figured out the IKEA Hinge-Child locks when he was 12months old, since 2 months he knows how to put a key in a lock and tries to turn it

The bane of parenthood. We want them to be smart, just not too smart! He sounds like he will keep you on your toes for years to come. Just about the time you figure out the rules he will change the game.:D You will be surprised how fast he grows up!                              

Took the new puppy out for his first public eating experience. He was a little excited at first but eventually remembered some of his table manners and settled down. At least he didn't pee on their floor!

image.thumb.png.c7b47a2704f5bf4c61da704989844c21.png

Sells/Serves food -  Also applies to grocery stores as well altho I have seen basket size pooches in our grocery store. But restaurants is a definite No-No.  NY state did change the law a year or two ago to permit dogs at sidewalk cafe serving areas but not inside the restaurant itself.

Edited by Jack12477

Even the "pet-friendly" hotel/motels are not that "pet friendly" especially when they charge a $50-$100 non-refundable fee per night per pet (as a "cleaning fee") .....  (I can see a refundable deposit to cover any pet caused damages). It's next to impossible to travel with a pet unless you have one of those Celebrity style "foo-foo" dogs all the Celebrities carry around, then you might get away with it. I could see the restrictions if you had a 150 pound Rotweiler/Great Dane or other extra large dog - but my Corgi is only 30 inches long, 10 inches tall at the shoulder and 30 pounds.  I think Europe is more pet-friendly than here.

Edited by Jack12477

I think that down in Seattle it is more of a question of what restaurants  DON'T allow dogs! Almost any restaurant in the area at one time or another I have seen dogs ranging from lap size like mine to dogs too big to do other than sit on the floor. Last month at the restaurant in a hotel we were staying at there were two dogs. One that looked kind of like a Pit Bull and another one that the guy was holding in his arms the whole night while he ate and then sat in the bar section by the hour.

Stores are much more of a problem. some allow then if they fit into the cart, others don't specify and others try and ban them all together.

We don't normally do this at all. If you look closely you will see that he is really just sticking his head and front feet out of his carry case. I hand carried him by hand and everyone in the restaurant did the "Look at the cute dog" and went back to their eating. (I wish I was that cute!) The only reason we had brought him was that one of the main people there had made us promise to bring him by when we got him so she could see him. What was REALLY funny was a little while after the picture was taken he got bored with the whole thing and laid down on the bench next to me and went to sleep! i must admit that was after getting some of daddy's eggs and bacon though.

Edited by lmagna

Is there a size limit on the dog's physical size, Lou?  I can see restricting Great Danes, or Mastiffs or Rottweilers or Great Pyrenees dogs due to their large size.

I know in Annapolis MD dogs are welcome in most stores, unless the owner posts a city issued decal saying pets not allowed. Most of the shop owners in summer keep a water dish outside their shop door filled with fresh water for the dogs and dogs are permitted at the outdoor sidewalk eating areas of most of the restaurants there.  We've taken our Corgi into most of the shops in Annapolis without issue, even a couple of the ice cream stores which serve ice cream cones.

Edited by Jack12477

Dogs are forbidden in restaurants in IL too - OK outside per health dept. but it depends on the restaurant and most seem to be OK with it.  And service dogs of course are OK in or out.

Mary and I would prefer most dogs in a restaurant now instead of most kids - who are allowed to run, scream, cry and otherwise disturb the other customers w/o seeming to bother the parents at all.  Today it seems that most dogs are trained better than the kids - and watch out if you say anything to the precious little 2 legged brats.  Yes, it's a broad brush but it seems all too common now. 

Took my Grand son out for dinner to a fairly nice restaurant (white table cloths and multiple forks) for his birthday (25th) and he commented about some running kids that his Dad would have broken his leg had he done the same thing.  I told him that's because I explained it to his Dad when he was very young that he wouldn't be able to run with a broken leg if he misbehaved - and he had passed on the warning to the Grand son.  Just don't let the "authorities" hear you tell the kid this today!

Kurt

I whole heartily agree on that one Kurt.  Even some adults too !

Was in the car dealership waiting room last week waiting for my car to be serviced. There was a women well past 40 slouching and I do mean SLOUCHING in the chair across from me with her Ipad/Iphone playing some god-awful music at about 1,000 decilbiles - didn't give a crap about anyone else in the room.  Fortunately the service rep came in to tell me my car was ready to leave, so I didn't stick around to see what happened.

There was a helluva fight in the NY State legislature just to get the Health laws amended to allow dogs to sit with their owner at sidewalk tables outside a restaurant at their sidewalk cafe.  Yes, service dogs are the only exception here also, they can go anywhere.

Edited by Jack12477

The only time I have ever been told that I could not bring my dog in anywhere was with my last dog, also a Shih Tzu only fully grown, was in the Post Office while holding her and waiting in line. I had been doing this for years rather than leave her even for a short time in the car when I was going to a place I considered pet friendly. That time a guy behind the counter asked if she was a "Service Dog" and if not she was not allowed. Most of the other people in line thought he was being an a** and the employee at the counter when I got there and had seen the dog a number of times confirmed it.

No matter what it is some people need to have rules about everything, otherwise they would have to use common sense and we know how that would work out in some cases.

I'm with Kurt as well.

52 minutes ago, Jack12477 said:

Is there a size limit on the dog's physical size, Lou?

Not that I'm aware of unless it is something that is set by the owners like they sometimes do in hotels and motels

I personally have no issue with dogs of any size anywhere if they are well behaved as they normally are when people take them to public places. After all I obviously have a dog in my own house pretty much 24-7, (For that matter I have a cat too) But if it's kids, cats, dogs, or grown people who are being rude in public I can do without them. One of my biggest peeves is when some good buddies, (Male or female) meet at a restaurant and sit at their table and talk so loud that EVERYONE in the place has no recourse but to share!

Even when my kids were small they knew that if they got out of hand I would take them out to the car and we would sit while the rest of the family enjoyed their night out. I actually had to do it a couple of times, never with the same kid though. But I also tried to avoid "adult dinner" restaurants when the kids were that small and if we went to a sit down type restaurant it was one that had kids as a matter of course. One of the "Kids eat free" on XXXX night places.

1 hour ago, lmagna said:

That time a guy behind the counter asked if she was a "Service Dog" and if not she was not allowed.

Well... the logical answer to that question is "Yes, of course, otherwise he/she would be outside in the car.".   

Unfortunately sometimes my mind doesn't work that fast. This guy's comment was so completely out of nowhere that this was one of those times. I thought later that I should have said "Yes she is. Do you need one?" Probably would have been wasted on him anyway.

21 hours ago, lmagna said:

After a few more kids, you go right past gray hairs and either loose them outright or go directly to white!

From my earliest memories, my father had snow white hair.  I was the 2nd of 6 kids.  Many years later we were taking his boat down the Chicago River to put it up for the winter.  As we motored down the river a boater coming toward us yelled, "The Medusa is coming!  Better get out of the way fast!"

The Medusa was a 555' ship owned by the Medusa Concrete Company.  It was the largest ship able to maneuver the sharp bends in the Chicago River.  My father responded in his typical fashion and ignored the warning of the passing boater.  As we approached a Z-bend in the river, I noticed a tug boat come out from around the corner.  I warned my dad.  He continued on.

As more of the tug appeared, I saw a taught heavy line coming off the tug and then saw the huge grey bow of the Medusa attached to the other end.  The tug brought the bow around the corner.  I could then see another tug controlling the stern through the Z-bend.  Before we knew it we were getting pinned inside one of the corners as the ship traversed the bend.  At one point my brother was on the stern pushing off the seawall and I was at the bow pushing off the stern of the Medusa.  I thought we were going to be crushed.  As I was still pushing off the stern, a man appeared in a hatch opening in Medusa's stern, not more than a few feet from my face, and said to me, "I know why your father has white hair!"  

16 hours ago, lmagna said:

The bane of parenthood. We want them to be smart, just not too smart! He sounds like he will keep you on your toes for years to come. Just about the time you figure out the rules he will change the game.:D You will be surprised how fast he grows up!                              

Right, and the challenge never ends :D

17 hours ago, kurtvd19 said:

Mary and I would prefer most dogs in a restaurant now instead of most kids - who are allowed to run, scream, cry and otherwise disturb the other customers w/o seeming to bother the parents at all.

A bit late, Kurt, but I'm fully in sync with this. Those parents should be - to stay in naval terminology - keel hauled. I don't go to restaurants any more because of irritating children and people whom seen to find their voice very important (idiots which do not turn their smartphone off, those can run the gauntlet ...)

You can always take a king willy ...

What did I do today ... went to work (35 min drive) got down to programming, with a wee bit of MSW in between, went home (55min drive :wacko: ) walked "ze dug" started the barbie, put on 2 lbs of pork neck with me rub, and am currently enjoying a few famous grouses whilst reading my favourite form's postings, the ones I'm interested in ...

Edited by cog