Yambo

The "What have you done today?" thread.

3,667 posts in this topic

You might look in a place that sells feed with some tack, feed stores are much cheaper than a dedicated horse tack outlet. Twisted cotton rope is often used for halter rope, looks nice and is a twisted thread and strand product like standard twisted rope. It can be washed and when done, sprayed or soaked in a thin dilution of white glue or as I did on the larger stuff, sprayed with scotch guard to keep them easy to clean. Cotton is used for lead rope because it is harder to get rope burns from, can still get them you work just harder for them. I used a glass marble inside of a monkey fist for drape pull ends, 'hard woven nylon', about 1/8", 4 turns and painted them with diluted white glue, works well. Just rope pulls using your hemp would look good, for a single pull, like would be needed on a door pair opening from the center, would be to just make one of the crown knot configurations to dangle, several choices, if you lead the surplus rope out the center, then separate and trim for the threads to be accented, again scotch guard would make living with them easier. Nice thing about using rope, you can easily change to a new piece with a different hitch or knot. Boxes with treasures come and they go, kind of like socks except they usually show up again for a time.

jud  :pirate41:

On 6/22/2017 at 8:20 AM, Julie Mo said:

I finally finished the doors and drawer front on the NautiBar.  The delay came mostly in deciding what wood would be used for the panels.  I didn't have enough maple for single piece panels so I started playing with some 1/2" think maple I had left over from making drawer sides.   I laid cocobolo strips between the pieces and found I had enough of both to make all the panels.

But would it look nautical?  I chose to stretch my imagination and found some way to say, "I think so."  But I'm actually not completely sold.

NautiBar_10_zps3nfvj8bz.jpg

As soon as I had them mounted I knew the face frame color was all wrong.  I was trying to keep it light but it looks all wrong.  The only color I can imagine that would look right is black.  Black would also help hide the frig a bit.  

Any suggestions? 

What if you panel the fridge too?

I agree, Buck, the frig panel needs something.  I was looking on the Rockler website at PSA veneer.  They sell 24"x32" sheets in several kinds of wood.  Mahogany was the one I thought would work best.  A big reason I think the frig needs to be dressed up is if you are standing at the front door, that bar area is one of the first things you see.  Maybe once we finish the boat house decorating it won't be so obvious, but right now it stands out.

Jack12477, thibaultron, CDW and 3 others like this

This is what I did in our last house: ebony face frame, mahogany rails and stiles and sapele panel.  The margins are smaller than what I'm doing on the bar so more of the face frame is showing now.  What I liked about the black is it seemed to fade away into the background.  But with more face frame showing, I'm thinking I need something that will blend with the doors without the doors getting lost.

kitcab_100_zps7fgqsxrm.jpg

(please ignore the drawer fronts :o)

Julie,

When I did residential construction most under counter appliances were designed to accept a a cabinet door panel. Have you considered building another door rather than PSA? Most dishwashers and trash compactors have, or had back then, a removable frame that you could also slide a new piece of veneer for the face also. Perhaps your fridge is the same.

Sam

2 hours ago, src said:

Julie,

When I did residential construction most under counter appliances were designed to accept a a cabinet door panel. Have you considered building another door rather than PSA? Most dishwashers and trash compactors have, or had back then, a removable frame that you could also slide a new piece of veneer for the face also. Perhaps your fridge is the same.

Sam

After reading your post, Sam, I took a look at that. There isn't enough room to add veneer nor any features that would allow attaching a cabinet door.  Even if there were, I'd have to build a curved door or totally re-engineer the existing door.  The PSA veneer is about $35 and if I go with that, I'll have more time to finish the hull planking on my model. :rolleyes:

Julie