The Journal is now Digital Read more... ×
Yambo

The "What have you done today?" thread.

A few months ago, my brother asked me why I didn't start working full time as a handyman. Today I have an answer to that question. I spent 6 hours working in the heat (high 80s) putting up framing for walls inside a building. I started approaching heat exhaustion, and have just started to feel up to do even the typing for this message! I'm only 63, but, at least for me, that option is out.

22 minutes ago, thibaultron said:

A few months ago, my brother asked me why I didn't start working full time as a handyman. Today I have an answer to that question. I spent 6 hours working in the heat (high 80s) putting up framing for walls inside a building. I started approaching heat exhaustion, and have just started to feel up to do even the typing for this message! I'm only 63, but, at least for me, that option is out.

Maybe you need to be more careful about the particular handyman jobs you agree to take on. Some jobs are more physically demanding than others. No matter our age, we must stay hydrated and reasonably cool when working like that. Those towels you "wet, wring out, then pop", really do work to cool you off. The pro's who work outdoors all day use those things and swear by them. Got to keep your head covered, drink plenty of water, keep yourself cool. 

9 hours ago, CDW said:

Maybe you need to be more careful about the particular handyman jobs you agree to take on. Some jobs are more physically demanding than others. No matter our age, we must stay hydrated and reasonably cool when working like that. Those towels you "wet, wring out, then pop", really do work to cool you off. The pro's who work outdoors all day use those things and swear by them. Got to keep your head covered, drink plenty of water, keep yourself cool. 

I have two of those towels, it's a great and cheap insurance. I really like using them when it's beaming hot. But still you to drink fluid.

Aaah, I miss my Dual 505 and 505-3 players, still located in Sweden.

Ortofon pickup?

Mine had OM-40 on the 505 and Linn K9 on 505-3. Both of the turntables got the same pickup replacement two years ago as my father has them and "turning them". Vivaldi is wonderful to listen to.

Edited by Nirvana

I had that turntable sitting on a shelf for years.  It didn't work so well.  At one point I took the dust cover and used it for a sump for a salt water fish tank.  There are still calcium deposits on it.  A few years ago I got the bug to bring it back to life.  It needed everything.  I found a turntable forum that had a turntable brain trust that rivals the ship building brain trust here.  1229_orig.jpg.a6b2a7cb8c6894d200ec971363a97d93.jpg

1229_plinth_031.jpg.d9d0650dc484ce770fe8db4d7ed3d3dd.jpg

1229_plinth_19.jpg.19e6d629fbeb1ab1fdea960e8a38bb85.jpg

Lou, no..... I headed eastward, east of 395.

We have the same nature in our area just like the Gorge.

Went to the Artistry in Wood show put on by the Dayton Carvers.  It was only about 30 minutes from my house.  Lots of really interesting things there. Quite a bit of it was the “folk art“ which I don’t really care for very much however there were some very nice chip carvers and some very impressive bird carvers. Unfortunately there was no ship figurehead or stern carvers there 😜. Lots of tools and demonstrations. It was nice. It was also nice to see a bunch of young kids running around being interested in doing this. Even if the stuff they are looking at is not exactly applicable to what we do here.