Yambo

The "What have you done today?" thread.

I spent the day with my granddaughter and family. My granddaughter is 8 years old today.....Have to get this time while you can....it is soon gone.

Piet, bhermann and trippwj like this

Hooray!  Today i finished the first model I have completed in over 20 years!  Wow, what a loosing streak.

The model I finished is Constructo's Steam Launch Louisa.  I had started it years ago when I was living in California, when I retired and moved to Missouri I lost everything of the kit except for the planked hull. 

Mario's Steam Launch build log inspired me to try and finish my kit, helped by Mario very kindly loaning me his plans I finished it.  Boy does it ever feel good!  Hopefully the start of a new era for me.

Well I guess I will spend the rest of the day cleaning up my shop. :)

post-769-0-94099200-1387209239_thumb.jpg

Anja, Yambo, avsjerome2003 and 7 others like this

Today?  Up early, shovel out the 3 to 4 feet of drifted snow from the driveway (figures the whole driveway was the lee side of the house with good deep drifts!),  Ordered the new snow thrower and now have made the commute and am sitting at the office mulling budget spreadsheets and associated drivel.  Sigh...wish I could walk across the hall to the shipyard and work on one of the models!!!

Today I went Christmas shopping. In heavy rain. Got two boxes of Turkish Delight, and nothing else. Shall have to go again. Bah, humbug!

Your posts always make me smile Brian :) Please don't be upset,but I recommend you don't apply for a position at the Welsh tourist board :D  :D 

Look at the bright side,the snow may come not before too long.At least then it isn't raining :huh:  :huh: 

Kind Regards Nigel 

probablynot likes this

I started to refit a small 50 gallon water tank that I can carry inside the van because I could not pull the water trailer up the slippery narrow rutted into two lane hill at the end of my Driveway that has not seen a snow plow in 2 weeks. the hill has to cross a level crossing then proceed up another hill. going anywhere was becoming dangerous. So I made it into the county office ranted politely about not being able to flush the toilet because we ran out of water on Friday. "I just want to Know when will you be plowing the road, after somebody has slid into a train going by?" Proceeded up to the Coop to purchase fittings for the tank.

When I got home a grader was plowing both hills and they did a good job of not leaving a windrow across my driveway, the grader operator Nodded as I walked back down the driveway to watch him work.

Lit the wood stove to keep the shop warm. I hope to get out to the shop this evening.

Michael

"Monotony" of everyday life that kills own pace ...

6,30 wake up legs

6,31 - smoke first 3 cigareets

6,45 wake up head

6,50 - wake up Admiral

7,15 - drive to job

08-16 job

rest is dotted with all sorts of usual things /kids, home, friends, TV, books, my CS, music, sometime working at home .../

And in circle

trippwj, mtaylor and WackoWolf like this

Mostly the same thing every day. I wake up in pain have a smoke take a leak and then it starts. I go have a coffee and donut come back go on MSW then talk to the wife then get the kid up take him to school go get my second coffee and donut come back smoke a joint to help with the pain some go back on MSW do so work in the shop eat lunch and take a nap (remember I get up around 1:30am, lunch is at around 9am), then go get the kid come back watch some TV go back in the shop do some more work check MSW and then later go take a nap in pain. Then it starts all over . LOL

What a life only in America. Nice Country. LOL

ScottRC and NenadM like this

Get up 4:00 am

Get on the bus to the mine 5:10

Operate dump truck back and forth 6:00- 18:00

Finish work 18:30

Bus back to mining camp.

Day in Day out, 13 days on, 1 day off.

No time to build model boats until were flown back to Perth for our week off evert 4 weeks!

Ahh the life of a miner in Western Australia.

NenadM and CaptainSteve like this

Same thing as every other M-F for the past, I lost count of how many weeks.

6am wake up

630 drive to work

715-345 work

345 drive home

430 load stove with wood to warm up house, prep for supper, make husband's lunch for next day, let dogs out, feed cats, throw in load of laundry, change into outdoor gear (longjohns, coveralls, insulated boots)

5pm husband arrives to pick me up and we leave to go work in the oilfields

930 arrive home from oilfields, finish cooking dinner, begin doing husband's paperwork, eat

11pm sit down and start grading papers

1am finally crash in bed!

5pm husband arrives to pick me up and we leave to go work in the oilfields? do you go looking for black gold

WackoWolf likes this

Right.. I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night half an hour before I went to bed, drink a cup of sulphuric acid, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our Dad and our mother would kill us and dance about on our graves singing Hallelujah.

;)  ^_^  :D 

bhermann and pompey2 like this

Right.. I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night half an hour before I went to bed, drink a cup of sulphuric acid, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our Dad and our mother would kill us and dance about on our graves singing Hallelujah.

;)  ^_^  :D 

You had graves?  When I was younger.....    

WackoWolf, src, bhermann and 2 others like this

You had graves?  When I was younger.....

You were younger?.....before I was born.....

Where's Monty Python when you need them?

Went to town twice to get water 600 gallons, then lit the wood stove. had supper then made a few more clamps.

post-202-0-57577300-1387348192_thumb.jpg

The dark one is Indian Rosewood with Gaboon Ebony handles on the 3 x 48 threaded brazing rod.

The lighter ones are hard maple from salvaged flooring with a commercial dowel pin cut in half for the handles. The spring clamp is Lilac and Ebony.

Did two loads Laundry and did the dishes.

Time for a cuppa.

Michael

Kevin, NMBROOK, Piet and 2 others like this

You were younger?.....before I was born.....

Where's Monty Python when you need them?

Went to town twice to get water 600 gallons, then lit the wood stove. had supper then made a few more clamps.

attachicon.gifIMG_1834x1024.jpg

The dark one is Indian Rosewood with Gaboon Ebony handles on the 3 x 48 threaded brazing rod.

The lighter ones are hard maple from salvaged flooring with a commercial dowel pin cut in half for the handles. The spring clamp is Lilac and Ebony.

Did two loads Laundry and did the dishes.

Time for a cuppa.

Michael

Your going to need a seperate display case for your clamps at this rate Michael!!!!

mtaylor likes this

Yesterday went as follows.

Up at 6:15am temperature outside 2f (-16.6c ), temperature inside 59f  (15c) Hmmmmm not good.

6:30am finished getting out portable heaters so the Admiral could finish getting ready.

6:35am put dogs out. Didn’t want to go! Had to shove them out the door.

6:40am protesting dogs finished “business” and came back in. Fed them as reward.

6:45am started battle with furnace trying to determine the problem.

8:00am defeated furnace.

8:15am ate breakfast and got ready for work while monitoring furnace through three on/off cycles.

9:00am left for work amid snow fall that won’t melt at this temperature.

10:00am finally arrived at work after dodging accidents.

10:00-4:00 at work thinking about working on build.

4:00pm reversed slip n slide drive home again avoiding accidents.

4:30pm arrived home and cheered as the furnace was still working and house was warm. Again had to boot the dogs out the door. Still too cold for their liking.

4:35pm turned on MSW and did a quick update.

5:00 – 7:00pm did house stuff, ate dinner with the Admiral, caught up on the news etc.

7:00- 9:30pm Quick check in on MSW, spent majority of time in shop cutting and getting correct thickness wood.

9:30- 11:30pm spent with Admiral and reading.

11:30pm bed time. Just another day in life.

NenadM and Sjors like this

Another day Way Downeast!

Up at 06:00 - Snowing heavily.  22 degrees F.  Dachshund took one look out the door, turned around and delivered her opinion for me to cleanup.

06:30 - coffee finished, gear up to do battle with the elements.

07:00 - 08:00 shovel snow...8 inches thus far...about 2 inches more while shoveling the first load of the stuff.

08:00-10:00 work (glad I only need to commute up the stairs)

10:15 - Snow plow makes another appearance.  Oh, well, at least they are keeping the roads clear!  Gear up to clear the driveway and deck again.

10:30 - 11:00 - clear the driveway, shovel the deck.  measured 12.5 inches of snow since last night.  Smart little dog still won't go outside.

11:35 - Still snowing heavily.  Stupid snowplow...time to go clear the driveway - again.  About 3 foot of newly plowed snow across the end.  Sigh....hopefully our new snow thrower arrives tomorrow....

I went to work as always!  Lets face it, someone has to pay the bills and it's also the only to support being a shipaholic!  Kits cost $$$ and so does wood for scratch building!  :o 

Cheers,

Tim    :cheers: 

Edited by Timothy Wood
WackoWolf, Ryland Craze and trippwj like this

08:00-10:00 work (glad I only need to commute up the stairs)

Yes but the traffic at the first landing is brutal I hear....

4am Woke up by the phone; one of our installers, problems on the job.

4:05 am Wake up our electrician; "Go to the job site".

4:06 am go back to sleep.

5:10am talk to electrician; tell the wife to go back to sleep.

7:10 am texting with the electrician while trying to take a shower....

7:21 typing this and then "going" to work.....TGIF

Sam

Rustyj, Sjors and trippwj like this

I was working last night at my favourite line 32 in Rotterdam.

That goes from Overschie ( area of Rotterdam ) to Nothern Island also in Rotterdam.

Every hour when I reach my end stop this was my view.

Sjors

post-48-0-61357900-1387872819_thumb.jpg

Thanks Joe,

But I have not take that picture.

I don't have my camera with me while I'm on the bus.

But I agree, every time when I'm there and waiting for to start again, I enjoy !

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Hi all

Its christmas, and that means that I go as newspaperboy along the houses I bring a christmas card and get some money.

Today I did this again (I have 450 houses, so I can't do them all at one). The money I got from it so far is pretty nice.

So because of the christmas and because I just love this forum, I decided to donate 25 dollars to Model Ship World.

I hope it will help this amazing site, and I wish all you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year :cheers:

May it be again a nice year for moddeling ;)

Cheers

Nick

Edited by NickvN
CaptainSteve, Piet, Anja and 3 others like this

Spending today helping our neighbors - more than 1/2 of the county has no power because of the ice storm, forecast near or below zero tonight with wind chill to 25 below. Assisting the American Red Cross at a shelter/warming center in Calais. So rewarding to see the volunteers here to help their neighbors on Christmas Eve. Makes me feel pride in the work I did here so many years ago building the ARC Disaster program!

Just to upset those from the Northern Hemisphere, here in Brisbane it is 35C - about 95F - and rising!

So I'm reading everything I can get about the Armed Virginia Sloop, in preparation for my build.

I'm also sitting in air-conditioning, watching our cricketers slaughter the Poms (that's Limeys to most of you!).  Heaven.

Cheers,

Brett

Edited by ortho85
WackoWolf likes this

I'm also sitting in air-conditioning, watching our cricketers slaughter the Poms (that's Limeys to most of you!).  Heaven.

Cheers,

Brett

Don't concern yourself too much Brett, the older Englishmen amongst us are used to it.   :angry:

Having survived Christmas with the grandchildren I am today babysitting my granddaughter for a couple of hours while the rest have gone to church. She has chicken pox. It isn't slowing her down any, mind you.

Northwest England has been cold, wet and windy. I wish Christmas was in the English summer.   :(

trippwj likes this

Greetings,

It's a stormy day here in Hampton Roads, VA. A good day to read and work on models and I've been doing just that!  

I'm currently reading At Close Quarters by Robert J. Bulkley, which gets me juiced up to work on my BlueJacket ELCO PT Boat kit, and also doing some work in the scratch built half hull of the Schooner Atlantic.

Cheers,

Tim

post-260-0-08492300-1388346962_thumb.jpg

post-260-0-06473400-1388347030_thumb.jpg

post-260-0-22048300-1388347029_thumb.jpg

post-260-0-59254000-1388347001_thumb.jpg

post-260-0-02262100-1388347003_thumb.jpg

post-260-0-80993900-1388347003_thumb.jpg

post-260-0-86064700-1388347004_thumb.jpg

trippwj, Piet, avsjerome2003 and 1 other like this

I woke up in China and it is cold this morning. Hot here last Saturday and so far I am having a good time being with the Wife.

How long do you get to stay, Joe?