newbuilder101

Weather Report - post your significant weather - past or present

2,776 posts in this topic

We all hear of storms around the world, and maybe it's close to home for you. If you have a photo of a significant or unusual weather event where you live - please share. It doesn't matter if it's past or present, but please let us know which it is.

I'll start with a photo I took this morning. When I went to bed last night there was a very light dusting of snow on the ground, but this is what I woke up to this morning!

post-167-0-15335800-1385331885_thumb.jpg

Script, Sjors, egkb and 7 others like this

Heck, the only way I am going to get any body heat from the Wife is when I go back to china in January. Soon she will be in the USA, just waiting for China now to approve her Vista to leave and come back with me. Then I don't care about the dam snow or rain or the cold. LOL SOON

Good grief, Sherry, how do you people live with that sort of weather?

John

John, we actually got off quite easy today -  I'm just glad it wasn't like the storm 5 years ago! It took my husband half an hour, with the snow blower, to find one of our cars!!!

post-167-0-37216900-1385336485_thumb.jpg

Snow level creeping down the mountains.  Forecast for tomorrow; rain, forecast for the week; rain, forecast for the month;rain........forecast for the year;more rain.  Annual rain fall 90-120 inches.   Forecast rain every day and be 90% correct.

post-7914-0-23296500-1385337133_thumb.jpg

Not quite as dramatic as the pictures posted by Sherry but the view out the kitchen windows yesterday.

to the west

post-202-0-09891100-1385353174_thumb.jpg

and to the south

post-202-0-68240700-1385353171_thumb.jpg

The lake finished freezing up on Wednesday it was -30 degrees Celcius here

Michael

Michale,

The same goes for you. Keep the snow up where you are until I am in China. Even though I don't have to shovel it I do have to clean it off the car and since that is what you would call work it's not for me. The word work is a dirty 4 letter word to me. Please all of you keep the snow in your area. Thank you. LOL I love the pictures, it does remind me of Christmas when I was a kid, as soon as the snow started to come down I was getting my sled ready to go sliding. LOL

newbuilder101 likes this

From early April through to November all my windows and balcony doors upstairs are open. July and August, the temperatures are usually mid 40°C but for the last couple of years have hit 50°C +. Throughout August I am usually wet, either from being in the sea, in the pool, under the shower or simply sweating.

For around 5 months though we get a lot of rain, sometimes torrential rain and a couple of days ago we had golf ball sized hailstones (I put a picture of a bit of damage here) but it's not usually that severe. All our water though comes out of the hills around us so rain during the winter is a necessity for the following long hot summer. I've never seen snow in the village; a light dusting a couple of times on the hills but not down here at sea level. likewise ice, only on the top of the hills. 

The severe storms do seem to be a bit more common; we've had 3 serious storms in the last 4 years when before, the locals tell me there'd be one every 10 - 12 years. Is this a sign of climate change? I don't know but the locals are going to have to adapt. Last February, the road I take to go down to the beach was torn up by a flash flood. It was repaired by the council workers but last Friday it was destroyed again. It's simply not enough to put concrete block paving on what is going to become a river when we have torrential rain. This video clip is what it was like the day after the serious rain had eased:

I walked down there this morning. It's strange stuff water and sometimes it's power is incredible.  

Amazing pictures and video of natures fury! Best of luck in Australia for NO more major brush fires! Fire and water - two powerful forces! Thanks for posting.

So far I have been lucky, in 53 days I will be in China, and if the luck is like last year the Storms will hit when I am in China so I will miss them again. But this year the Kid (MAGGOT) will be using the car to go to school and work, so now I will still be worry (SCARE is the better word). Will see what happens. Only 53 more days LOL.

Kevin and newbuilder101 like this

Shiver me timbers it was cold here last night and this morning.

A 9am this morning I lit the fire in the shop again! the thermometer on the wall said it was 0 degrees Celsius I think it was just a little warmer than that outside is a different story -28 degrees Celsius.

Michael

egkb and newbuilder101 like this

A rather pretty day here - bright sun, light breeze and 27 Celsius. Of course, this is Orlando. Flying home to 4 Celsius and freezing rain in the forecast. Sigh...

newbuilder101 likes this

Four Celsius is mere child's play Wayne.  Hit -22C here this morning after yesterday's 12" of snow.

Still, it's better than this photo.  We had quite a mountain flood in early October ---- rivers in 4 canyons went berserk with 17" of rain.  Just got up the last canyon to open.......here's the aftermath:

post-56-0-13386900-1386267778_thumb.jpg

There used to be 80' Spruce trees lining both sides of the river......all gone.  The river bed is now 30 feet higher than it was.  That concrete in the water and on the far bank is from a dam that let loose 2 miles upriver.

Gotta love Colorado!

Augie that looks awful!  Nature has a way of telling us where we aught not to build........ As he warms up this morning .25 degrees today in the shop I managed to get it up to 10 degrees yesterday and overnight it dropped to -32 Celsius, and I chose to live here. It should be sunny today which will help

Michael

newbuilder101 likes this

25 degrees and snow on the valley floor here.  Usually we don't see any snow until late December or early January and usually just a dusting.  Still coming down in spurts.. meaning it snows, stops for a bit and the snows some more.  Today we're expecting 3-6".  Not much by other standards but it is by ours.

I should add, it's a joy to be retired instead of "having" to go out a drive in this stuff.  I do love driving in it, it's the other drivers.  Seems it's a tradition around these parts that as soon as the white stuff starts falling, 33% of the drivers have to run into something.. other cars, light posts, ditches.. etc.

post-76-0-87830500-1386373141_thumb.jpg

post-76-0-51368500-1386373143_thumb.jpg

It's her first real snowfall as the breeder didn't let her out last winter.   She's having a ball in it.. 

Now that she's had her fill and all yardwork is done, last lily bulb dug up, last leaf raked, and a cord and half of firewood is split and stacked...  IT'S SHIPYARD TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  post-76-0-53831200-1386376653.gif

augie likes this

From the Eastern corner of Washington state, very close to Spokane

As is for today and nearest days, extreme cold down to -25 F counting the chill factor,

High pressure with clear skies and high winds.

Water pipes froze this morning.

No Snow in the forecast!

Check out Sweden, they don't have much fun at all. Definitely ship modeling weather!

mtaylor and augie like this

So far we have been lucky in the NE at least where I am, no snow. We just got done with the weather in the 50's and now we are back down to the low 30's again. They are calling for some snow Tuesday and Wednesday, will have to wait and see what happens. But like I said we have been lucky so far. In 41 days I am out of here, so let the dam snow happen in 42 or 43 days, then all I have to worry about is the kid driving my car. NOT LOLO about that one.