newbuilder101

Weather Report - post your significant weather - past or present

We all hear of storms around the world, and maybe it's close to home for you. If you have a photo of a significant or unusual weather event where you live - please share. It doesn't matter if it's past or present, but please let us know which it is.

I'll start with a photo I took this morning. When I went to bed last night there was a very light dusting of snow on the ground, but this is what I woke up to this morning!

post-167-0-15335800-1385331885_thumb.jpg

I give it up........

Big news on the Dutch TV.....90 cm of snow in the USA.

And ????? 11 cm.........pffffffffff

Sjors

We got significantly less than what the Atlantic Ocean got, where it supposedly snowed a lot! The storm was off-track by about 75-100 miles east of where the media said it was supposed to be ! Oh well, maybe the "snow-gate" will now get the NEWS media away from the "deflate-gate" for awhile. :rolleyes::D:P;)

My rule of thumb... if the media adds the word "gate" to something, it's all about hype and nonsense.   Those idiots seem to forget that "Watergate" was the full name of the hotel and the scandal wasn't about "water" and a "gate".....  :rolleyes:

I don't get too upset with the weather forecasts... there's still so much we don't know that accuracy is in the eye of the person getting snowed/rained on.

We're digging out after getting 16-1/2 inches, and Boston's getting it now. Like they really need it.  :huh:

They said this morning on the news that he did see his shadow. Another 6 weeks of this if you believe the groundhog.  :rolleyes:

I don't know how he saw it, he's in the middle of a snow storm!  Getting another 10 to 12 inches here in CT right now.

Edited by DrWatson

Yea, they (NWS) finally got it right after 3 failed forecasts for my area!  Woke to 7-8 inches of fine powder - still snowing as of this post - predicted to get 10-15 inches by nightfall.

Ah the joys of winter ! :D:P:rolleyes::dancetl6::pirate41:

Well it finally stopped snowing ! I measured 13 inches in backyard - a tad more than the measly 1 inch we got during the "Epic Blizzard of 2015" last week ! :D

Did I mention it snowed again? Haven't measured it yet this morning but looks to be another foot or so.

I heard from Weather service yesterday. They checked the observation records for Eastport that cover 1895 to 2013. The most snow reported in an 8 day period was 33 inches. Have now blown that record away with 57.9" in 8 days (before yesterday's storm). That equates to about 3,700 cubic feet removed, or nearly 20 tons of white crud.

Was awakened at 6 AM by the town snowplow plowing the road - not sure what he was plowing since the snow had stopped well before I went to bed last night and I cleared the driveway one last time before retiring and the roadway was clear. Looked at the thermometer -3o F (-20 C)......... Brrrrrrrrrrr ! Total snowfall yesterday was 14 inches

Oh well, at least I am upright, ventilating and able to take nourishment and walk down into the shipyard ! :dancetl6:  So it must be a good day.

Brrrrrrrr.

When I read all about the snow I will bring you our weather for today.....

-2 C,foggy,  wet snow , wind, rain, sunshine with a blue sky.....and rain again........

A bit boring isn't it ???????

Good luck to you guy's with that snow thing......

Sjors

Edited by Sjors

Surprise, surprise......

This morning my alarm clock goes off at 4.15 AM

When i watch outside I see that I have to remove ice from the windows of the car.

So at 4.45 AM I wanted to go outside and there was......SNOW !!!!!!!

4 inches  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

The rest of the day was sunny and windy.

But we have snow !!!! yippie !!!!

And the whole infrastructure of Holland goes down......

Delays with all the public transport.

Yes, also with my bus........

30 minutes behind schedule.....

Long live the winter !!!!

Sjors

Edited by Sjors

Sounds like when I lived in South Carolina. A few inches of snow and the whole state closed. Oh well, they didn't have a snow plow one in the place, let alone a snow shovel.

Sjors, do you go around waking up the roosters at that hour? :D  My,my, that's early.

4 inches of snow Sjors?????   Pfffff   ;)

Just in case people think it can't snow in The Netherlands - - when I was in the Airforce and based in Deelen in 1956, we had snow up to my knees and very cold.  On top of that I had guard duty.  Talking about being miserable -- - nothing for a boy who's born in the tropics.  I hate the stuff.

Just be careful Sjors and Anja.  It's the other drivers you have to watch out for. 

Cheers,

Heck I woke up this morning from my nap and we still have snow and right now it's 1 degree outside. And we have 6 to 10 inches coming in the next couple of days.

Yea, I awoke to an accumulated 14 inches of snow still on the ground, -4 F temperature and a forecast of 8-16 inches of more snow over Saturday to Wednesday.  All the local schools districts are hyperventilating as they have run out of their budgeted "snow days" and will now have to cancel school holidays (e.g Easter break)... I guess that's the penalty to be paid for closing school for a mere 1 inch of snow.

As a old fossil who grew up in Western New York State where we regularly got 140-150 inches of snow every season, I have to laugh at the hysteria of these "young uns" who can't handle a 4 inch snowfall. Hey it's winter in New York State and it snows and it gets really cold in winter here. That's why they call it Four Seasons.  Actually my 99 year old Father used to say "we get winter and then the 4th of July" here. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Only negative I have at the moment is the Ice Yacht fleet is snowed out - there is ice but it's covered with 14 inches of snow. So we "hard water sailors" wait ! :o

Edited by Jack12477

Well, we have gotten quite the attention - set a new record for the state for 10 day snowfall (76.0 inches).  Add the 3.4" yesterday and that translates to, let's see, carry the 4, divide by....hmmm...about 36 tons removed from the driveway, walkways and deck since January 24th.  ENOUGH already!!!

post-18-0-72546700-1423245478_thumb.jpg

Augie, it's the Weather Channel dudes who are doing the most hyperventilating over these "normal winter storms" for us in the Northeast USA. They're the only ones who insist on giving cutesy names to every "storm" that comes across the US or down from Canada. At least the NWS and NOAA omit the cute names and just give the forecast with appropriate warnings for extreme conditions of course.

I'm waiting for one of those Weather Channel idiots who insist on standing in the storm surge to tell us what storm surge is to get washed out to sea by a large wave. Then they will stop their grand-standing - or maybe they won't, makes for great theater:D :D

I often wonder how the Native Americans who lived in this region survived and whether it was as cold and snowy then as in our time. I know the winters have not been producing the high snow totals each season in recent decades as they did when I was a wee lad or even a teenager delivering the morning newspaper. I know the Iroquois nation had huge log Long Houses which were probably pretty efficient shelters. But then the Eskimos and Inuit used igloos.

Like everything else these days, the weather has been turned into a reality show.  The more doom and destruction, the better.  They've got 125 years of (reliable ?) history and that's all we hear about.  

I have to believe that the old Northern cultures, worldwide,  were a lot tougher than we are when it came to putting up with, and surviving, the whims of Nature.  

Well I personally know that the people in Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse and Oswego can handle anything winter throws their way - hell, the phrase "snow day" is not in their vocabulary nor in their school calendar - they do NOT budget for "snow days" out there. It snows and they go to school - it took 7 FEET of snow last November to shut down the schools in the towns southwest of Buffalo (known locally as "The Southtowns")  My granddaughter who is 17 saw her very first snow day ever this past November during the 7 foot Lake Effect "blizzard".

Yes, Augie, I agree, the Weather Channel has turned normal weather patterns into a "reality show".

BTW: Buffalo's all time record snow fall for a season is 199.4 inches (1976-1977); Syracuse 192.1 (1992-1993) and Rochester 161.7 inches (1959 - 1960). And that's measured at their respective airports which are generally outside the Lake Effect snow belts.

Edited by Jack12477

I was born and raised up north at the very tip of the thumb of MI where those same lake-effect snows happened on a regular basis. We never looked at it as some kind of "hardship" though. Heck, instead, we had a blast in it. Snow-forts, sledding, and once-in-a-while when we could talk them into it, we'd get some of the older kids to let us tie our saucers on the back of their cars. When we got older, with cars of our own, we'd barrel down side roads and slam into those 5 and 6 foot snow-drifts, just for fun. Every now and then though, we'd have to walk down to a nearby farmer's house and get them to run their tractor down and haul us out of the ditch due to a slight miscalculation of where the drift would throw us. But all in all, great fun. :)