newbuilder101

Weather Report - post your significant weather - past or present

2,776 posts in this topic

The roads in our little town are currently closed due to ice rink conditions.

I saw on the 7 o'clock National NEWS the other night video of a kid on ice skates skating down the road in his home town because of the ice storm. Don't remember which state he was in.

donrobinson, mtaylor and Canute like this

Yesterday was amazing, sunny with temps at mid 40's and I missed out being outside.

Today, it's cloudy, temp att 28, high winds from North that even makes my dogs prefering being indoor rather than outside.

Just looked at the temp gauge, it's not 28 but 23!

We had 24 hours of freezing rain hear a week ago. 133,000 home with no power for eight days. What a mess with all the trees and power poles down. Pat at Skiff Lake NB East Coast of Canada

post-27564-0-90537200-1486507894_thumb.jpg

cog, donrobinson, WackoWolf and 3 others like this

Skifflake,

I didn't want to click "Like This" as I know how bad it is with the freezing rain.

Had the same kind of experience some weeks ago.

No fun at all.

mtaylor, cog, WackoWolf and 2 others like this

This was the same storm that devolved in the deep south a few weeks ago, killing 16 plus people in Mississippi and Georgia. The storm redeveloped of the coast of New England and turned into a powerful Nor-Easter and slammed Atlantic Canada. Tornadoes took the lives of many people in the southern US but here in Atlantic Canada several died or were injured by carbon monoxide poisoning while trying to heat their homes with generators and gas heaters over the 10 day period. Storms can change their features so dramatically while traveling from coast to coast....

mtaylor, WackoWolf, Canute and 1 other like this

This was the same storm that devolved in the deep south a few weeks ago, killing 16 plus people in Mississippi and Georgia. The storm redeveloped of the coast of New England and turned into a powerful Nor-Easter and slammed Atlantic Canada. Tornadoes took the lives of many people in the southern US but here in Atlantic Canada several died or were injured by carbon monoxide poisoning while trying to heat their homes with generators and gas heaters over the 10 day period. Storms can change their features so dramatically while traveling from coast to coast....

Quick question skifflake: How do you heat your houses, with electric heaters!?

mtaylor and Canute like this

Well,  Early Monday morning we had freezing rain and ice - all the schools in the area delayed their opening for 2 hours except for my school district, they closed for the day. By 10 AM the ice on my driveway had melted from the sun. On Tuesday it rained all day (no ice). Today it's currently 45 F with a bright hot sun melting what little snow we have left - they say it might hit 50 F or maybe even 60 F :o .

Tomorrow (Thursday) the forecast is 6-12 inches of SNOW - major snow storm for northeast coast - winter storm watches and warnings up all over the area.   This is the same storm system that brought all the damaging tornadoes to New Orleans and the southeast.

But alas it will probably blow out to sea and miss us completely :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

We're still waiting for Winter to arrive around here :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

This is going backwards,

The week started so nice with sun and warmth, Tuesday, cloudy windy and cold. Today, Windy and snow, not much but bad enough.

mtaylor, Jack12477, Canute and 1 other like this

We need more ship builders down here...
Currently 71F, plentiful sunshine. Winds light and variable at 4MPH.
Any takers?

Canute and mtaylor like this

Started snowing about 12:30 yesterday . Snowed all day and still snowing this morning and now we have 4" on the ground. Temp is about 40. This morning it was 29F. I shoveled once today and thats enough. supposed to start raining sometime soon. No wind and the snow is coming straight down.  Happy winter everyone.

I like the snow that isn't put 

where I must find it underfoot

I don't mind bushes alamode

Just keep the damn stuff off the road

Would you North Americans like some of our weather?  Predicted to be in the mid 40's in western Sydney for the next three days.

John

Canute, reklein, mtaylor and 1 other like this

John, send it my way.

As I am located in something called high altitude desert, it will be dry heat and not bad at all.

Have had those temperatures before over here, and I like it.

Sorry John, please keep the heat down under ! ;) ;) ;)  We have a fleet of some 35 ice yachts that haven't seen ice since March 2014 and they are just gathering dust in the barns. :(  You can send it to Per tho.

Canute, mtaylor, cog and 1 other like this

Carl:

My home is heated with electric heat. For back up I have an air tight wood stove and my stove is natural gas. I can basically get through a long term power outage. Thanks for asking Carl.

cog, mtaylor and Canute like this

Ah, so far eletric heating is not much in use here, although, the government wants to get rid of gas appliances, and fossile fuel usage. They seem to forget the power grid is not up to par for that, neither are most alternatives. We'll see. I know in France some houses are electrically heated, but it seemed to be more expensive than the other (less environmentl friendly ?) options. You use solar panels/wind turbine?

Cheers

Nice John. Could do with a bit of heat :) Reminds me of my work in the glass houses those temperatures

Sorry John, please keep the heat down under ! ;) ;) ;)  We have a fleet of some 35 ice yachts that haven't seen ice since March 2014 and they are just gathering dust in the barns. :(  You can send it to Per tho.

You didn't dust them off !!! So how is the ice thickness at present Jack.

You didn't dust them off !!! So how is the ice thickness at present Jack.

Open water entire length of river from Albany to Atlantic Ocean. No ice on lakes/ponds either.  At moment we are in the midst of a "killer snow storm"  (yea, right !!!!) - got maybe 4-5 inches on ground since midnight last night - still snowing - expecting total of 10 inches. Temps yesterday hit 50 F, currently 26 F, going down to 7 F tonight into tomorrow.  Unfortunately it gets real cold for about a week, ice starts to form, then it warms up to 40-50 for a week and ice melts. :(

cog, Canute and mtaylor like this

Quick question skifflake: How do you heat your houses, with electric heaters!?

Here in NYS  most houses are either gas fired (natural gas piped in underground) or oil fired. Mine is natural gas. Either way if the electric power goes out so does our furnace. No more pilot lights on new gas furnaces (energy saver): when electric goes out the gas valves won't open (safety), self-ignitor doesn't work, circulator pumps (hot-water baseboard heat) won't work. So no electric power, no heat either.  Electric heat in this area is very expensive.

There are also some homes that use propane for heat but that's in rural areas where the natural gas lines have not reached.

mtaylor, Canute, WackoWolf and 1 other like this

Last night it was raining with a temp @ 28°F (dangerous combination), with snow on the ground, it will take time to melt even with the high of 42 that is expected today.

mtaylor, Canute and WackoWolf like this

Still raining... no snow, no sun...  just rain.  The ground is completely saturated and the low spots have become mini-lakes.  It's so bad that the ants are trying to move into the house.   OTOH, i'm getting assorted critters showing up and staying on the front porch or the back patio.  Birds, racoons,a couple of others that I'm not sure what they are.. shrews maybe as they look like rather large mice but not like rats.,.  Odd bedfellows but I guess the weather does that.

cog, Canute, Jack12477 and 3 others like this