newbuilder101

Weather Report - post your significant weather - past or present

Buffalo NY watched 4 FEET of snow disappear in 36 hours yesterday - here in "Upstate" NY we have temps ranging from 55-63 F. Presently 58 F at my house today.  Tomorrow "freezing rain" and back to the deep freeze temperature-wise. 

Buffalo is about 4 hours Northwest of Jack, Per. He's originally from the Rochester area. Nowadays, he's living on the Hudson River, north of the Big Apple a ways. The Big Apple is New York City.

Per, my daughter lives in Buffalo, as Canute says I'm originally from western NY area, " snow country". So the  creeks are handling it. Likewise down here in Eastern NY only some minor flooding. Hudson River not rising much.  We went from minus 6 F last Saturday to 58 F yesterday 

Most of you folks deal with morons driving on icy roads, can we have a trade off? I'll take 3 days of icy roads, and give you 3 days of heavy morning and evening fog with visibility of 50 yards. Drivers speeding, no lights, tailgating. You have no warning and can't see. Had fog now for several days more to come. The cold dampness plays havoc with these old joints

Side note a lot of our smaller boats had radar, I liked to zip through fog at high speeds with the brass on board.  (who forgot what patrolling in a vessel was like) They always tried to remain stoic but you could tell when the got out their sphincter had created a huge wedgie in their pants. Of course I remained hopeful we wouldn't hit a deadhead. They rarely came back for a ride unless it was a clear sunny day, scratch another supervisor.;)

John, you've never driven across NY State, especially the NY Thruway I-90, during one of our infamous Lake Effect snow storms, complete white out conditions, come upon them without any warning, clear blue sky no snow then bam total white-out, snow falling at 2-6 inches per hour; drive 15-20 miles and back to blue clear sky and no snow. Visibility is less than 5 feet at times. These bands come off the Great Lakes like fingers on your hand - maybe 5 to 25 miles in width, intense snowfall rates - then you drive out of the band and it's back to clear blue skies and dry roads, till you encounter the next band 25-30 miles down the road.  I have had plenty of first hand experience with these bands of Lake Effect snow. Makes driving cross state in winter interesting to say the least. :D

Buffalo was buried in 199.4 inches of snowfall in the winter of 1976-1977, still the snowiest season recorded for a U.S. city with at least 100,000 residents.  In November 2014, the week before Thanksgiving, a Lake Effect snow storm dumped 88 inches (7.3 FEET) in about 3-4 days.   Orchard Park (southwest of Buffalo) where the Buffalo Bills football stadium is located saw 64 inches.  Buffalo, Rochester (my hometown), and Syracuse are the snowiest cities with a population over 100,000 in NY state and probably the lower 48 states.  Since I grew up in that area and experienced the Lake Effect storms first hand (I also have family still living there), I tend to follow their weather with interest.  In fact there is a friendly contest among Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse, Binghamtom (south of Syracuse) and Albany (north of me), called the Golden Snowball contest, to see which city gets the most snowfall for the season, as of today Buffalo is leading with 91 inches.

On 1/23/2019 at 3:38 PM, paulsutcliffe said:

we had half an Inch of snow yesterday evening here in southern England, everything came to a standstill and people driving around at 10 mph on perfectly clear roads, Christ knows what would happen if we had real snow

This reminds me of riding on a bus when transferring to Ft. Sill OK from basic training in Ft. Leonard Wood MO back in the 70's.  It was late January and there had been a light dusting of snow on the highway in upstate OK.  If anyone here remembers car trips way back then, when our parents had us kids counting red cars or whatever came to mind to keep us from asking that age old question: "are we there yet?"  Gazing out the bus windows, I was reminded of this, as there seemed to be dozens of cars in the ditch or median for every mile we rode!  Apparently no one there seemed to have any idea how to handle the least little bit of snow!

2 hours ago, Nirvana said:

Having a beautiful sunny day, but okay with the temp at 20°F. No wind. 

5" of snow!

Sounds like for a change we are having the same weather on both sides of the mountains.

I think we are supposed to reach a high of 32F today. They are saying more snow for tomorrow night and the weekend though.

6 hours ago, marktiedens said:

Thundersleet here today!  That`s right - sleet with thunder:huh:.

Mark

Been through thundersleet and thundersnow.  Pretty neat to watch the lightning (if it's visible).   I'd rather see snow than sleet. 

-26 Celsius at the moment!! It was cold overnight -34C with wind chills down to -45C, it has been like this for the last week. the high for today is -19C

just glad I don't have to chop wood any more.

Michael

It is supposed to get 80F in Fayetteville NC today, then a cold front is coming through and it will drop into the 50s. In the last 2 weeks it was in the 30s then in the 60s. The weather does it's own thing here

Jesse

9 hours ago, mtaylor said:

thundersnow.  Pretty neat to watch the lightning (if it's visible). 

It's not all that neat, just ask my sister about that.  Way back in the 50's my younger sister and brother and I were walking through a heavy snowstorm to get to our bus stop for school.  There was a loud crack as a bolt of lightning struck a power transformer overhead.  My sister was the closest to the power pole and one of the live power lines fell to the ground and was dancing around in the snow right in front of her!!

It looked like a big snake whipping around and spitting sparks everywhere.  Well, I never saw her run as fast as she did heading back home!!!!!!  She didn't go to school that day, and Mom had to walk us to the bus stop for about a week after that. 

For years after that incident, just the rumble of thunder in the distance would terrify her.  Gradually she got over it, but not before she transferred that fear to her oldest son, who would start to panic whenever the threat of a storm came up.  He was probably a teen before he grew out of that fear.

So, while it may be fun to watch from a distance, up close and personal is another story entirely.

1 hour ago, JesseLee said:

It is supposed to get 80F in Fayetteville NC today, then a cold front is coming through and it will drop into the 50s. In the last 2 weeks it was in the 30s then in the 60s. The weather does it's own thing here

Jesse

I didn't realize you were in or near Fayetteville. Been a long time ago since I was there last, in the sixties/early seventies. Sure do have a lot of good memories of Fort Bragg and Fayetteville.

Your weather now sounds a whole lot like ours in Florida.

Wed/Thu got a winter ice storm.   It was a real confused mess with snow, sleet, and freezing rain alternating all night and into the morning.  Net result was 3/4 inch layer of ice on our driveway. 

100_5256.thumb.JPG.d9c0741783b3a59fade4875ca3cdb4fd.JPG

The admiral called all her clients to cancel their appointments and never left the house all day.  That is a very rare occurrence!  Got more of same overnight although not nearly as much.  Also found a problem with our sump pump that cost a call to a plumber.  Apparently the motor burned out because of a drain line blocked with ice.  This morning the admiral went to work with 40 MPH winds and came home to find a driveway with 12 inch clumps of ice from the snow plow that came through right after she left for work.  Here's what it looked like here Thursday afternoon. 

100_5251.thumb.JPG.010bd2431f653862cce5be8c5359a1d3.JPG

100_5253.thumb.JPG.880c0228b814dfc0b7dde7a564457ff4.JPG

This morning it looked like a winter wonderland as the sun came out and everything glistened from a coating of ice.  Unfortunately no photos as my camera batteries were dead and had no spares at home.  :angry:

Today will be a day when I will stay indoors. The wind is howling outside,  making it colder than the 26 degrees, much much colder.

There has been snow involved too.

Will be a good Fusion360 day.

No thanks. I'll take a nice bushfire over snow any day!

After nearly 2 weeks of severe bushfire warnings, the rains came in and cooled things down a bit. Fires are still burning in spots but no danger at present.

Snow this morning and now again tonite.  No accumulation so far except in the hills and mountains around us.   Looks like this for next few days or so.  But then again, I don't trust weatherpersons.

We got snow.   About 4 inches but traffic is stopped for the most part.  The city has only 4 plows to clean the I-5.  Slipperier then banana peels in July it is.   But very nice.  I love it.   More snow coming tonite supposedly.

Just got back in from cleaning about 8" of snow from the car windows and defrosting them so I can drive at least one of them if needed! At first the push broom was doing pretty good but then the handle broke where it met the head. (Old broom with a handle that had apparently become rusted from being outdoors all of the time). Now the wife has a new walking stick!:rolleyes: 

More snow coming over the next few days. Kind of glad I am no longer a contributing member of society and my commute consists of getting down the stairs in the mornings and back up in the evenings.

This past Friday TV Weatherman announced snow pack here in Duluth, MN is 2ft, about normal for us this time of year.  It has snowed all afternoon today so I would estimate 3-4in more.  The Duluth Harbor is totally iced in.  The Coast Guard will start ice breaking in mid March when the Great Lakes shipping season resumes.  Lake Superior is frozen out past the horizon from Duluth, and some crazy guys are beginning to venture out on the frozen lake to fish.  If a west wind picks up they’ll be getting a free unintended cruise to the other end of the lake 350 miles away.

Roger

On 2/7/2019 at 11:24 AM, CDW said:

I didn't realize you were in or near Fayetteville. Been a long time ago since I was there last, in the sixties/early seventies. Sure do have a lot of good memories of Fort Bragg and Fayetteville.

Your weather now sounds a whole lot like ours in Florida.

CDW, I'm about 20-30 miles north of Fayetteville. I am in Harnett County but near the Lee County line very near Sanford NC.

Gidday everyone.

Parts of Queensland have received one years worth of rain in one week.

Estimated losses are over 500,000 cattle.

Immeasurable damage to tropical fruit crops.

I can't help but wonder what's next.

A plague of locusts?

To all those in the States, stay warm and safe.

All the best Mark.