newbuilder101

Weather Report - post your significant weather - past or present

Heavy winds, snow, and an airport advisory (it's now shut down) are in effect here.  Storm closing in but it's "small" compared to what's offshore and coming in.  

Mark, currently we are above freezing point and snow is melting, dreading the drive home in late afternoon.
So you are saying we are to have another wave of this white stuff coming?

Can it just pass us and being dropped somewhere else?

I hope it does just pass, Per.  The first one is starting to hit as I write this.  Just spitting rain right now.  

In process of adding another four or five inches of snow tonight to add to the ten inches we received since last night.  We still have a layer of about six inches of frozen snow and ice at the end of our driveway under all that snow.  Can't seem to melt it off with temps in low 20's.   Our place in Door County got about a foot last night and expecting more.  We may not get up there till spring the way things are going lately. Being in a wheelchair is just great in the winter, I think I'm getting cabin fever being stuck in the house like this. (hopefully won't be putting six shots in our freezer ala Jimmy Buffet)

Evening, 

There's a reason why locals cheer the day when a truck leaves from Fenway Park and heads to Florida. :huh:

The below pics are the reason why!

Calling for 6-12" of snow, with a possibility of sleet and freezing rain.

Should be a heck of a ride into work in the morning. I work in health care...….we will be open. 

Its been a VERY snowy winter this year, even for New Hampshire!

Probably some of the best skiing in decades.

IMG_1590.thumb.JPG.b7a5518dfd5a3b330b82988339a850bc.JPG

The snow on the trucks is only after 2 hours.

I had dinner first when I got home from work, then did a light cleaning. 

I think were hovering around an inch per hour, or just under that. 

IMG_1589.thumb.JPG.ff0f1dc83fcfb2279ff1c5a575e624d4.JPG

Stay warm!

Tom E 

It looks like after about a week our weather is going to break. It got and stayed obove freezing for the first time today even though it did continue to snow for the better part of the day. 

Here are some pictures.

Had to get out early this morning and shovel the driveway for something like the fourth or fifth time in as many days so my wife could make it safely to the cars so I could drive her to a doctor appointment. (I didn't know she was taking this picture) I consider it as proof that rumors that I never do anything around the house are pure lies!:rolleyes:

image.png.e009229c17535d42933523b1032067ec.png

The branches on the bush were so loaded with snow you had to duck under them to get off the porch.

image.png.5321d49fa0fa686376b1d32d8deae7df.png

In the back yard it was pretty much the same. The chair in the foreground is in the open, the other chairs are partly sheltered by the 60 and 40 foot Fir trees back there.

100_2785.thumb.JPG.5f781cca59645135d616f636ed300d75.JPG

But the Japanese Maple looked pretty nice.

100_2787.thumb.JPG.d2a981eb478ef1f18d4615fee281822b.JPG

One member of the family loved it though.

100_2790.thumb.JPG.c0e789028093a3d380932f173bfda4ce.JPG

But there was a price to pay! Right after this he was put in the sink full of water to melt the snow off. He didn't like that much at all!

100_2792.thumb.JPG.e8bb56dff6281486947e348a0f047428.JPG

After taking that picture my wife questioned why she wasn't in the picture too, so I took another.

100_2793.thumb.JPG.871c621fc90cee33ed864466c67a1e8d.JPG

This is after a full day of the temperatures being above freezing for the first time in a week. It is 7:30 PM now and it is still 37 F. Proof that a Mini Cooper may be fun to drive, but is NOT the most ideal snow car!

100_2794.thumb.JPG.4d61840ae4eedb9bd16b0fc544e1296c.JPG

For you people back east this may look pretty normal for this time of year. But we have not had snow this deep for years and I cannot remember a time when it stayed on the ground for this long.

Sorry about the pictures acting up. Everything started going wacky after the first two!:( 

9 hours ago, lmagna said:

But there was a price to pay! Right after this he was put in the sink full of water to melt the snow off. He didn't like that much at all!

Lou,

That is one P.O. puppy. I had one that was really ill-tempered, when I fussed at him (he did a lot of bad things) he would give me that same evil look. If I really fussed at him shaking a rolled up paper I called my beat stick he showed his displeasure by laying a pile of feces on my pants or shoes or anything of mine that happened to be on the floor. When he really showed his displeasure in addition to feces he would add a large puddle of urine on top. 

He was a Dachshund the most stubborn of dogs ever created. If you are smart you may want to leave our personal effects off the floor that puppy has payback in those eyes.😈 (he's still cute) 

Keep your snow and ice I think I will quit complaining about our fog, rain, dampness, and 40 degree temperature swings over the last month.

It was +10C here today rising to +13C on Sunday. Weather forecast for the next week is warm and sunny :) Still some patches of snow on the high ground above 700 metres south of us,also to the north in southern Germany. Just hope it stays there. My sympathies with you chaps the other side of the Atlantic. Hope it thaws soon for you.

Dave :dancetl6:

7 hours ago, John Allen said:

That is one P.O. puppy.

That's just his bored look! He is probably looking for the cat so he can jump on her with his snowy paws when she is asleep. Come to think of that I should have let him do something like that. It would have been interesting to see what she would have done with all the wet snow. Normally when he attacks her she grabs him around the neck and flips him onto his back and puts his neck into a death grip, in fact that is exactly what is happening as I type this. 

What he got mad at was being put into the sink to melt the snow! He hates anything that even resembles a bath! My wife did that yesterday so she was the "Bad Guy". I need to give him a real bath today so he probably won't talk to me for the rest of the day!

We won't be getting to 13C or even 10C today davy but we will be over freezing for most of the time from here on out so things will clear up pretty well over the next week.

I think we tend to snivel a little about the weather. Here is a picture of where I live, (Well a few block away) in 1916. One must remember that there were probably no snow plows back then either!

image.png.bc05a6692ad254fb6f90f9da997b2136.png

Ah, you guys are getting old ! ;)  You gotta  have some fun, some adventure, in winter.  Do a little "hard water" sailing !  Do a little racing !017_14.thumb.JPG.a7f03a5c519b71c466640316e41c581a.JPG

Even challenge the US Coast Guard to a race down river (USCGC Penobscot Bay ice breaker)

025_22.thumb.JPG.f75c56647a9c0a72b78954c49ed602e0.JPG

We had beautiful ice until this recent "storm" brought a warm up that turned the ice into Swiss Cheese overnight - now we have to wait for the next Polar Vortex to descend on us. 

Mark, Lou, beware of the "Pineapple Express" ! 

3 hours ago, Nirvana said:

Jack, I would love to go ice-yachting. if I had a yacht and good icy lake.

Per, would love to take you for a sail on one of our big boats, if and when you visit the East coast and we have descent ice to sail on.  But in the meantime you could  build your own smaller DN class boat with supplies from your local Lowes/Home Depot.  Plans can be obtained here
or instructions here .

Edited by Jack12477

4 hours ago, Jack12477 said:

Mark, Lou, beware of the "Pineapple Express" ! 

Jack, Beware of ice breakers............ They make BIG holes in the ice!

But it seems like it is the same there as here. The day before the snow/ice melts anyway the snowplows/icebreakers come out to finally do their thing!

Per

Is lake Chelan or Moses lake frozen? They could give you a long run! (Actually I don't think I have ever heard of either of those lakes freezing) :(

Lou, the ice breakers have been making regular trips up/down the Hudson since December keeping the commercial channel open. They may get a break when temps go above 40 F but not for long.  We keep our ice boats well away from the channel,  the Coast Guard knows where we are and if we are sailing,  I was told by one of the boat commanders that they look forward to seeing us on their trips, in fact they contact our local CG unit before they leave NYC to find out if we are on the ice and our location.

We have gone from -1 Fahrenheit (-16 Centigrade) to 64F (16 degrees Centigrade) in just 2 weeks! At the moment we are "enjoying 54 degree Fahrenheit weather (equates to roughly 11 degrees Centigrade) but this weekend they are forecasting snow again...... It has certainly been a strange winter up here in the hills of Virginia.

All I can say is.... stay safe and warm.

Mark

15 hours ago, mtaylor said:

Something for the snowbound.  Maybe this will help...

51644388_10157089492399740_8840470406721699840_n.jpg.0d0808ea35769f51f78159116945c8e2.jpg

That is just awesome.... it pretty much sums up how I felt being stuck up here in 9 inches of snow last year :)

8 hours ago, Jack12477 said:

You gotta  have some fun, some adventure, in winter.  Do a little "hard water" sailing !  Do a little racing !

Here in Madison area we have two large lakes suitable for ice racers, but you have to beware of the many ice fishermen with their shanties and vehicles plastered all over the lakes.  Ice fishing is a big thing here in Wisconsin and Minnesota.