newbuilder101

Weather Report - post your significant weather - past or present

Rained all day here yesterday,good day to work on the sternwheeler. This morning is heavy fogand about 40 F. Nothing to shovel thank you.  

mtaylor, Nirvana and Canute like this

After two consective 60 degree Fahrenheit days, we awoke to SNOW this morning and 33 F.  Not too bad, only about 1-2 inches fell before stopping about 11 AM. Grey skies but quite bright out. Roads are just wet; still warm from the last two days of abnormally high temperatures; only the grassy areas and trees are snow covered.

But then they keep talking on all the weather forecasts about a big ole Nor'easter forming off the New England coast on Tuesday next.

mtaylor and Canute like this

What a wonderful day! Can it be sunnier?

Temps at 63, with gusty strong wind from the south.

Canute and mtaylor like this

We're in the 60's F... and it's supposed to hit the 70's next week.   Given that this will mean working on the lawn and flowers, I have mixed feelings.:D

Jack12477, Canute and Haliburton like this

It's a whopping 25 F right now - 8:00 PM EST - here in the valley.  Wind chills tomorrow (for all the St Patrick's Day parades) are expected to be well below 0 F - some areas might see 20 below zero F windchill. 

mtaylor, Nirvana, Canute and 1 other like this

A balmy -10c in southern Ontario with snow, and with the windchill, -18c. So much for the prediction of Wireton Willie (our local groundhog). 

Canute, Nirvana and mtaylor like this

A very sunny day with temperatures of 10 F (-12C) this morning. Wind gust making seem a lot colder. Predicted high for today is 25 F (-4C).  Winter storm warnings are posted for eastern NY and New England from Monday night thru Wednesday night for a coastal nor'easter on Tuesday. Snowfall amounts for the Hudson Valley predicted at 6 -12 inches (probably closer to 12) with higher amounts south of here (18 - 24 inches) and along the coast. 

Going to be an awful lot of frostbitten knees (kilts) at all the St Patrick's Day parades this afternoon :(

Nirvana, mtaylor and Canute like this

I feel for you folks in the east. But,its really nice in the upper 50s F here now. Its odd 'cause a week ago we had that 4 " of snow. 

Canute, Nirvana and mtaylor like this

Odd it is, Bill !  A week ago we were hitting 60 F, two weeks ago we were hitting 74F (a new record high for  February in these parts).  Winds are picking up now, a lot stronger and higher gusts in last hour.

Nirvana, reklein and mtaylor like this

Well the winter storm watch has been cancelled and replaced by a winter storm warning for Monday night (Midnight) thru Wednesday evening. Forecast has been updated too, they are now predicting 10-20 MPH winds with gusts to 30 MPH, snowfall rates of 1-3 inches per hour with total accumulation of 16-18 inches, possibly even 24 inches (2 feet).  They're also saying that because it has been so cold prior to the storm the snow will be the powdery kind not the heart-attack producing heavy wet stuff usually found in March storms. At least the snowblower will be able to handle without constantly clogging the discharge chute :D  Not supposed to start snowing till after midnight on Monday.

Let's see ! Got plenty of milk, eggs, butter, peanut butter, bread, hot chocolate. :D Oh yea !  And beer for later !  :cheers:

snowball-fight.gif.f15966608fb3d53d29ed3de654a430d8.gifsnow-day-smiley-emoticon.gif.c0dc320170080605d77b734a7e7fbd88.gif

Nirvana, trippwj, mtaylor and 2 others like this

We're having a blizzard. At 0800 4-5 inches of snow already on ground, temperatures 23 F.  Cocktails on the weather deck at 1300 hours.

0900 Update: 7 inches actual measurement and counting.

58c7187cf1915_NewEnglandSpringTimeBBQ.png.e6e04f028e32a21d8f01417493b95644.png

mtaylor, Canute, Nirvana and 4 others like this

Still dark outside, it's raining but temperature is 48 degrees. Will probably be around 54 at the best today. 

Blizzard. Winds pushing 48mph, blowing snow/rain/sleet/ice/goo and broken limbs and trees all over the place today. One pine broke into two and landed on the garage. Sigh. Such is NH in March! 

~john

IMG_5455.JPG

Jack12477, Canute, mtaylor and 1 other like this

It's been snowing here non stop for the last 30 hours.  Sometimes heavy and sometimes light but now it's been heavy for the last 8 hours.  We've shoveled the driveway 4 times today. But to be honest, I was at work and the Admiral was home so she did most of the work. We were released from work early today so we could get home.  When i got home I fired up the snowblower and between me and my buddy on the block we cleared 6 or 8 driveways.  Still coming down hard.  In prospective I think we have gotten 8" this morning, then another 8 into this evening and expecting probably another 4 or 6 overnight. As I look it the window right now I can barely make out the neighbours house across the road.  In the next couple of days we are expecting rain.

mtaylor, Canute, jablackwell and 1 other like this

30 minutes ago, Worldway said:

It's been snowing here non stop for the last 30 hours.  Sometimes heavy and sometimes light but now it's been heavy for the last 8 hours.  We've shoveled the driveway 4 times today. But to be honest, I was at work and the Admiral was home so she did most of the work. We were released from work early today so we could get home.  When i got home I fired up the snowblower and between me and my buddy on the block we cleared 6 or 8 driveways.  Still coming down hard.  In prospective I think we have gotten 8" this morning, then another 8 into this evening and expecting probably another 4 or 6 overnight. As I look it the window right now I can barely make out the neighbours house across the road.  In the next couple of days we are expecting rain.

Derek,

For a while I wanted to click the like button. But I will wait until the snowing is over.

The day has been grey with a light breeze from SSE, temp hit an amazing 63°F.

The coat came off and I really enjoyed it.

8 minutes ago, Nirvana said:

Derek,

For a while I wanted to click the like button. But I will wait until the snowing is over.

It's OK, I'm Canadian, just another day ;) in the neighborhood,  Honestly, I'll get up in the morning, clear the snow off my car and head to work. By then the roads will be plowed, not the best, but plowed anyway.  In another couple of days the snow will be gone and it will be raining.

Canute, Jack12477, Nirvana and 3 others like this

Started snowing here shortly after midnight last night - snowed non-stop all day - at times at rate of 1-3 inches per hour. Cleared driveway twice with snowblower. Town plows came thru the neighborhood three times today.  Measured 24 inches of snow depth in yard. Then the winds really came - straight out of the Champlain Valley up north (Adirondacks area) right down the Hudson Valley, peaked at 50 MPH around 1830 hours. Lot of drifting now - winds dying down a little now  Meteorologists in Albany said the track of storm hugged the coast causing the heavy snow to go inland, also forewarned us about the peak winds coming down the valley starting around 1600 hours - NYC changed over to all rain at some point - US Mail service cancelled and all Post Offices in region closed. Tractor trailers banned from NY State Thruway and other Intestate Highways in NY.  NY Metro commuter trains canceled, likewise Amtrak. Temperatures held in the 24-26 F range all day. Lots of 30 second power outages during the day but no power failures. Visibility near zero for a time - couldn't see neighbor's houses across the street for a time. Wind still howling. Thank God the snow was the dry powdery type instead of the heavy wet type, don't have to worry about snow load on roof, winds cleared the roof of snow for me :D Haven't seen one of these in this area since 1993 blizzard also in March. No property damage done.

Omega1234, cog, Canute and 2 others like this

14 minutes ago, Worldway said:

It's OK, I'm Canadian, just another day ;) in the neighborhood, 

Derek, I grew up in Rochester, across the lake from you. Got all those nice Lake Effect snow squalls from Canada ;) Just another snow storm for me too. ;)

Love Rochester, the Museum of Play.  Me and the family had a great time a few years ago.  Plus, quite a few years ago me and my buddies went and saw the WWF at the Rochester War Memorial. Amazing times there. So you know that we are just having some snow, no big deal :) just another day.

Jack12477, Nirvana, cog and 2 others like this

Ah yes, the Margaret Strong Museum of Play - been there many times. Did they tell you that she had the largest private collection of dolls in the world at her death?  Likewise the War Memorial, especially the Amerks Hockey.  I still have family (Dad and 3 siblings) in Rochester; also a daughter & granddaughter in Buffalo.  Yes, just another day of snow in the "north country" !:D

Nirvana, Canute and donrobinson like this

Jack,I saw your state on National news this evening. Don't catch a heart attack out there. This time of year it'll all be gone by Fri. The snow looked really wet anyway. Talked to my freind in Juneau AK and they are having some of the same as you. Here in cental Idaho we are having around 50 F and rainy.

Jack12477, Canute, Nirvana and 3 others like this

Thanks, Bill !  No heart attacks here - I do as little shoveling as possible - only steps and landings - I let the mechanical stuff (snowblower) do the heavy lifting/clearing; I just walk behind, steer and work the levers. ;)

Happy to report that all is now quiet on the Eastern front - no property damage, no power outages (at least not where I am) - I pretty much managed to stay ahead of the storm cleanup-wise so very little to cleanup this morning, mostly drifted snow.  Meterologists in Albany say this is the 3rd largest blizzard on record for this area, after the blizzard of March 1993 (2nd biggest) and the all-time worst Blizzard of March 1888.  I measured 24 inches of snow at my place - snow banks by road from plows are at least 3 feet deep, maybe 4 feet in spots - rest of the region measured from 16 inches to about 30 inches. Lot of drifting in backyard but nothing to worry about. And the winds completely cleaned my roof of snow.  All schools are still closed today in our area. Guess they need time to dig out the parking lots.

This morning's temperature is 15 F.

As Derek (Worldway) and I joked in earlier posts - just another snow storm for "upstate" NY :D

mtaylor, Nirvana, Canute and 4 others like this