I have a couple of ooppses in my decking that need to covered up/hidden. My instructions called for the timber-heads to penetrate the deck just inboard of the hull. I foolishly followed the instructions and questioned it after I installed them! The more I think /dwell on it the more I want to correct it. The problem is, I morticed them into the deck and now I will have 6 .125" holes to patch and hide. I can hide four of the patches with gun carriages, the other two will be in plain sight.

What items would normally be found on deck in a non combat, day to day setting? Buckets, brooms and mops come to mind. Coils of rope perhaps? Anything else?

Thanks in advance,

Sam

Current Build Constructo Enterprise

It depends on the type of ship, I think. On a US navy ship, perhaps not. On a merchant vessel, maybe so. I would not stress on this issue too much. Lay a few rope coils around and solve your problem. :) 

Russ

Larry:

I think these areas are too far forward on the deck. Scuppers are most likely found along the middle part of the deck where the deck is lowest. At the ends the deck is higher and the water likely runs down towards the middle where the scuppers were located. :)

Russ

Edited by russ

Hmm, how about creating and 'repairing' a bit of storm or battle damage ?

Or perhaps add some 'human' interest, a mop and bucket, a spar propped up on a horse with some chippy tools lying around to repair it, a loose coil of rope with the end opened up for splicing. You don't need the people (unless you want them) just the evidence they're around.

Mark

Edited by Mark D

Mark D

Thanks everybody, some great ideas. Thats one of the things I love about this site; ask a question and you get way more than you ever expected.

Larry, as Russ pointed out the area in question is too far forward and I have already added in drainage.

I had originally considered the bucket and or mop. I had posted this to find out what else might be on deck and wasnt disappointed. Mark, I am really liking the spliced rope idea, it gives the rope a reason to be laying out on deck. Maybe with a little three cornered stool for my non existent deck hand to sit on.

Sam

How about a few Barrels lashed against the bulwarks Who knows they might have a real use and be filled with, Um let me think! are yes RUM 

Now every good happy ship and shipwright needs RUM some time on the rocks some times with a little coloring  maybe even a little fruit and Umbrella for the ladies 

Just an idea 

"Cheers" or "Bottoms UP" don't need to be press ganged tonight

Andy

Current Build

HM Granado CC

Past builds

HMS Chatham CC, HM Convulsion CC,  Duke William German Kit, Fair American LSS, The Wright Flyer MS

I vote a sharpening wheel. Set it up on a little bench. Essential on a whaler but not out of place on other ships I would say. In the same vein an anvil set up on a log with some tongs and hammers would fit onto any ships deck. the easiest solution would be an unbent sail folded and lying on deck waiting stowage or setting, a short length of nearly any sort of white fabric with some turns of line holding it in a sausage shape, as actual unbent sails are configured.

Niagara USS Constitution 

So many great ideas!

Hmmm RUM Kegs, nice! Too bad tequila is inappropriate. :)

Mark, the cannon idea crossed my mind last night although I didnt think of the wheel to cover the hole. Liking the sail idea too, may have to wait till I get further along to decide and see how much room I am going to have. Both holes are fairly far forward and the gun barrel will come into play also. I will try to get a picture up in the morning to give an idea.

Thanks everybody,

Sam

You could be building a Ship that had just plundered a ship from Mexico That would solve the Tequila issue Think out side the Barrel / glass

Current Build

HM Granado CC

Past builds

HMS Chatham CC, HM Convulsion CC,  Duke William German Kit, Fair American LSS, The Wright Flyer MS

I go along with 'cover it up' and some rope coils, buckets and so on go a long way. They don't have to be perfect, and a 'sleeping sailor' next to it might be ok.

We all agree, cover up the damage and you might be surprised with the questions after the ship is finished.

Jay

Current build Cross Section USS Constitution  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10120-cross-section-forward-area-of-the-uss-constitution/

Finished USS Constitution:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/103-uss-constitution-by-modeler12/

'A picture is worth a  . . . . .'      More is better . . . .