Skipjack 19 foot open launch By Michael Mott 1/8th scale Small

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to all for the likes and comments

I have not been able to spend much time in the shipyard this last few weeks, but things have improved a great deal this week, Judy is home now.

I did manage to get some time today to make some changes to the spark plugs. I was not happy about the way the plug were integrated into the head structure so after a couple of experiments I now have proper spark plugs they are made from some Allen key, that I annealed.

post-202-0-57017900-1426382914_thumb.jpg

The thread is a 6x40 I had to make them long reach which meant it was a bit tricky drilling a .028" hole almost 1/2 inch long through the Corian core which is only .078" diameter.

post-202-0-84472600-1426382915_thumb.jpg

The hand shot for scale

post-202-0-05474100-1426382917_thumb.jpg

The brass now functions as it was intended to hold down the oval cap to enclose the water cavity, and the spark plug threads into it.

post-202-0-44063700-1426382918_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-09317200-1426382920_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-22725700-1426382921_thumb.jpg

All I have to do now is add a brass  0 x 80 or a 00x90 threaded section to the top of the electrode in order the be able to make a good positive connection with the ignition cables. i will need to see how easy it is with the 00x90 which is a better scale size.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

I'll third it.... that's very good news.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thirds are charmes,

but all good things come in fours, don´t they ?? ;-))

My best wishes for a good and lasting recovery to Judy. Spring is around the corner, and all things are going to be "bright and beautiful".

Good luck to both of you

P.S. : the Most Honourable and Noble Swiss Watchmakers´ Society at Geneva would be pleased to send you their application form. They are constantly looking for new masters of their trade and will surely and with the greatest pleasure accept you as their new fellow. I neither saw any really working spark-plugs of 2 cm length, nor did I ever hear of such things. Mein Gott, Michael, where is this going to end ??

Germanus

Edited by jo conrad

I'll raise that fourth and submit a fifth...  Here's hoping all continues to improve.

Now, let me think about this - 0.028", that's about 0.7mm. Yep, I've had loads of drills that size, it's just rather unfortunate that I only need to try and pick 'em up and they break - am convinced they're only put into sets as some form of esoteric eyesight test, certainly not for actually using and definitely not for putting anywhere near other bits of metal. I'm probably severely limiting my modelling/engineering learning curve but I don't trust myself with anything smaller than 1/8".

Stunning work as always Michael, your talents know no bounds.

Regards,

Row

1:28 Scale J class yacht 'Enterprise' (R/C)

Build log currently at: http://www.rcsailing.net/forum1/showthread.php?6264-1-28-J-Class-Enterprise-build-log

And I'll add to what's been said also - glad to hear Judy is home; hope her health  continues to improve.

Magnificent job on the spark plugs. I'm glad you include the "hand shot" for scale ! Impressive !

I'm glad Judy is back at home, first it is better for her health and second it's a relief to know you do not need to travel and be at risk (for Judy it will too I 'reccon')

Stunning work on the sparkplugs, take care both of you

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Glad Judy is home.  Nothing, not even the boat is as important as that.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Michael - 

Such good news as I return.  So glad your wife is better.  The people we love are so much more important than the things we love, even ship models.

Dan

Current build -SS Mayaguez (c.1975) scale 1/16" = 1' (1:192) by Dan Pariser

Prior scratch builds - Royal yacht Henrietta, USS Monitor, USS Maine, HMS Pelican, SS America, SS Rex, SS Uruguay, Viking knarr, Gokstad ship, Thames River Skiff , USS OneidaSwan 42 racing yacht  Queen Anne's Revenge (1710) SS Andrea Doria (1952), SS Michelangelo (1962) , Queen Anne's Revenge (2nd model) USS/SS Leviathan (1914),  James B Colgate (1892),  POW bone model (circa 1800) restoration

Prior kit builds - AL Dallas, Mamoli Bounty. Bluejacket America, North River Diligence, Airfix Sovereign of the Seas

"Take big bites.  Moderation is for monks."  Robert A. Heinlein

glad to hear everything is looking up Michael!  she'll recover better at home  :)     plugs look sweet~!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Patrick, Druxey, Mark T, Germanus, Row, Jack, Igor, Carl, Bob, John, Gary, Mike, Dan, Denis, Ed, Mark.

Thank all so very much for the well wishes, it is indeed great that Judy is well enough to be home and she has even gone back to work at the Library, (it is a small rural one and Judy is the Librarian  Manager she was looking forward to getting back so much.

P.S. : the Most Honourable and Noble Swiss Watchmakers´ Society at Geneva would be pleased to send you their application form.

Germanus this made me smile, They are way way above my league, but as a kid I wanted to be a watchmaker..... it is a funny world we live in. When I was 15 I had 24 chiming clocks in my bedroom all sort of them, picked them up in junk shops in England, they would be hard to find these days, but in the late 50's early 60's they were a dime a dozen.

I am almost sure that if to fill in couple of drops of gasoline in this engine it will start working.

Igor, as soon as she is ready that is what will happen.

The cover plate for the cavity on the top of the head, took for ever to fit, but it had to be precise and snug before I could drill the holes.

After the blank was fitted I flipped the head upside down and clamped it in the milling machine on top of a sacrifice block of brass, I used brass so that the plate had something the same density so that the hole would not form a bur on the drill exit.

The set up included using a couple of the original integrated spark plugs as drill bushings to act as guides for pilot drilling the holes in the plate

post-202-0-94275900-1426711872_thumb.jpg

After the .078 hole was drilled the bushing was removed in order to then drill out a clearance hole for the spark plug which is .136"

post-202-0-15867700-1426711874_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-37466700-1426711875_thumb.jpg

The head was then indexed over to line up the second hole this was done by trial and error, by raising and lowering the .078 drill until it slipped into the hole easily. I did ensure that the upside down bit ran true before doing the set up.

post-202-0-52911600-1426711876_thumb.jpg

Then drilled out the second hole.

post-202-0-67080000-1426711877_thumb.jpg

Then repeated the clearance hole for the plug.

post-202-0-10010200-1426711879_thumb.jpg

I made a couple of large .031 brass washers to act as the small circular covers these will get mounted to the oval plate with four small 00x 90 round head screws.

post-202-0-42588600-1426711882_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-19066500-1426711880_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-38026200-1426711881_thumb.jpg

It is great to get a bit more time in the shop, and I am spending more with Judy now that she is back on her feet.

Thanks for all the likes as well.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Good to hear Judy is up and about, nothing to restore oneself but a well loved activity.

Again some marvelous work MIchael. I was nearly drooling like a dog over it's favourite bone, closed my mouth just in time.

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

glad to hear everything is looking up again  :)     very nice progress Michael!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks for all the likes and for the kind wishes for Judy.

i read right your an Englishman abroad with skill,s like yours i,d say Sheffield lol

Gary, well it was St Marys Hospital Paddington right next door to the Great Western Railway Station. (or as some say God's Wonderful Railway) Then I grew up in Acton W3 in West London..... trial and error is a wonderful teacher, I have lots of scrap boxes that have accumulated over the years, and also encouraged by the right folk when I was young.

Michael

Thanks Kees, and for all those who added a like to my previous set of pictures.

today I modified some 00 x90 hex head brass machine screws, cheating I know. I chucked up a small drill chuck in the Myford lathe to hold the small screws.

post-202-0-95312800-1426812191_thumb.jpg

The round head 00x90 from the suppliers are .087" max head diameter which was a bit large so I turned down some hex ones I had to .078"  diameter  then filed the round with some fine files and then gave them a burnish with a clockmaker's burnish,

post-202-0-63320600-1426812193_thumb.jpg

Next the screw slot was cut with the jewelers saw.

post-202-0-03539900-1426812195_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-04999900-1426812196_thumb.jpg

After drilling and tapping the circular plate I discovered that the round head screw were still a bit too big, also the holes in the circular plate still needed to be opened up for a clearance for the 00 x90 screws.

post-202-0-32115900-1426812197_thumb.jpg

I reduced the diameter of the screws to .071", which is about as small as I want to go with the 00 x 90 which has a max thread diameter of .060"

post-202-0-67034700-1426812198_thumb.jpg

Left one is .071 next is .078, next is the commercial round head at .087" and the hex type that I used as the base for the modifications.

Tomorrow I will finish the other plate and the rest of the screws down to the smaller diameter.

Michael

Beautiful work, Michael.   BTW, I think you should give a go for the Watchmaker's Society. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Beautiful work as usual Michael and as with all the others, so pleased Judy has returned home.

Steve