Skipjack 19 foot open launch By Michael Mott 1/8th scale Small

I was surprised when I saw the pictures of the manifold trials.  I thought I was the only one to have so much scrap.  But then I remember someone saying, “If the scrap doesn’t outweigh the final product you’re doing something wrong”.  Any way the final manifold looks great, and you should have no problem with the petrol vapor.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Just caught up with your log and boy is that engine ever a piece of gear.

Wonderful engineering Michael, it's going to look fantastic mounted in the ship and working.

Mind if I tag along mate.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

looking great Michael......the bends look really tight  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks for all the kind comments and visits they mean a great deal and are very motivating.

Just a small update because I am off to dinner with Jude to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary this evening.

The carb is started

post-202-0-52956000-1429142855_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-76707400-1429142856_thumb.jpg

There are a few more bits yet then it all gets soldered together the main assembly will wind into the manifold and the nut will lock it into the vertical position.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Happy Anniversary.   Good set of priorities... the engine can wait.   Looking super nice, however.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks for the kind thoughts for our Anniversary, I had Atlantic Salmon, and Judy had Lobster, it was great, then cheesecake for dessert.

Our lake is starting to break up, it amazes me that 16 days ago people were still driving on the ice, and it looks like we might have open water within a week.

Thanks for the likes and comments about the Engine for Skipjack.

The more I work on the engine it seems that new bits to make keep jumping out of the woodwork, it is getting closer though.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

It just keeps getting better and better.  When the engine is finished will you leave it brass or paint it green?

Bob

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

Bob I am pretty sure that I will make it look like the one in the real Skipjack as much as possible, which I suppose is a long winded way of saying yes I will paint it green.

Most of the Drawings that I print for the engine as I am working on it are printed 2:1, and I am thinking that down the road a smaller boat model  with a 1/4 scale engine which would be the same size as my 2:1 prints would make a nice model.  Skipjack will be 28 inches so at 1/4 scale something that is say 16 feet long would end up being 38 inches long which is shorter than the pilot cutter hull by 15 inches. 

Just some idle musings this morning while i am warming up the shop.

thanks for all the likes today.

Michael

Michael,

The carb reminds me a bit of the old side draft carburetor's you would see on the 1960 to 70's motorcycles I used to ride when I was a young fellow. I am interested to know what type of vacuum you'll achieve with your engine? If you get a decent amount of vacuum it should pull the fuel in naturally and all you'll have to do is throttle it with some type of Venturi/needle valve and she should be good to go for idle. Any idea what rpm it will produce?

Beautiful machine work. You were not kidding when you told me you had all of the tools!

Jeff

A mighty fortress is our God a bulwark never failing!

engine looks awesome Michael!   a belated on your 20th.....glad to hear your admiral is doing well  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

I am interested to know what type of vacuum you'll achieve with your engine? If you get a decent amount of vacuum it should pull the fuel in naturally and all you'll have to do is throttle it with some type of Venturi/needle valve and she should be good to go for idle. Any idea what rpm it will produce?

Jeff at this stage all I can say is "I don't know" to your questions. The few videos that I have seen of the model engines running on the vapour look promising.

Denis, thanks.

And thank you to all who have visited and liked what I am doing, it is very encouraging.

Michael

A bit more fiddling with the Carb.

First I made a whole new one with a flange at the manifold side. The top air intake also needed to have the adjusting screw added, it was easier to make a new one rather than trying to fix the first one.

I "knurled" the edge of the adjusting screw by pressing the head of the 1x72 screw under the edge of a file and rolled it along on a flat surface of MDF then beveled the edged on the lathe. the spring came out of a tiny ball race which I took apart for the springs and balls.

post-202-0-74861900-1429301235_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-87067800-1429301236_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-23992300-1429301238_thumb.jpg

Michael

Looks great Michael, Very cool 

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Amazing work Michael,

I can hardly wait to see that engine igniting and running with ist own fuel and operating valves (presume its not just a static object)

Well done !

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Thanks for the kind remarks and for all the likes. I am just taking a short breather to give my eyes a rest.

Michael

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the kind remarks and for all the likes. I am just taking a short breather to give my eyes a rest.

Michael

Hope your eyes are enjoying the rest and all is well.

Bob

do you have Maria in the water yet?

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Thanks  all for the likes and inquiry's

I have been looking after some domestic issues related to cleaning up almost 20 years worth of collecting junk around the yard (6 trailer loads) in anticipation of moving to the coast in the near future, The next time Maria sees open water it will be somewhere between the Mainland and Vancouver Island. I have kept her eyes hidden from the early break up of the lake this year, knowing that bigger water beckons.

My next shop will be very tidy and tools will all have their own special places, no clutter will be allowed, each project will have proper storage of parts and materials as they progress!

I am a reformed Hoarder, My time will be better spent building models and not sorting and organizing and looking for something that I collected 20 or 30 years ago, for instance I really only need about twenty feet of very fine spring wire not 3 miles, All the containers of little pieces of cut wood continue to grow with no signs of them getting used (it is easier to cut new for what I need) I just need to learn to not cut so many extra bits that then get stacked.

I will be taking good planks and billets of special hardwood to the new shop, plus a smaller assortment of metal bar and sheet stock, all the tiny off cuts will not be traveling west.

It is a serious learning curve, but I am a determined student, I am going to live the next 30 years clutter free which is really exciting.

Michael 

Good on you, Michael.   I take it you have already decided on the place that you'll call home port?  I think that hard part is already underway.. figuring out what to keep, what to toss, and what not to worry about.

I wish you luck and joy on this move.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks Mark,

We know where generally that we will call home port, the small detail of selling where we are at the moment is all that is holding us up, the prospects are looking favourable that the universe is lining up to see that it happens sooner or later.

The good thing is that Judy and me are sorting out what we like and don't like so that when we move we will be able to find the perfect place, the workshop will be attached and it will have ground floor access Machines have told me they don't like stairs, and I can do without them as well.

A view of the water would certainly be part of the search criteria. We have learned that we do want to be within a community and not out in the country, quite frankly I am tired of having to drive 3/4 of an hour to get to a decent sized store for everything from a loaf of bread to a box of screws.

Michael

Michael 

What a garage sale this will be! I wish I was in the neighbourhood. I could use a few feet of spring steel wire, but not miles of it....

Good luck sifting, sorting and reducing. I'm sure a few long-forgotten items will surface in the process.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv