HMS Montague/ Alfred class by Gary B - 74 gun ship built in 1779 (garyshipwright)

I did read some place that Gary keeps his small working crew well supplied with grog. Lots of it. LOL.

Gary

Your work is outstanding! I sent you a pm about the Warrior pics that I've shared with you.

Later Tim

Current Build -- Finishing a 1:1 House that I've been building for a while

Current Build -- Triton Cross Section

Thanks Tim, Robin B, Alan and all the likes. 

Tim I do have to go to the store and buy grog every couple of days, those guys can put away some grog thats for sure.  :D

Robin as far as I know the cranks or brakes were made to be locked together when needed and stored when not. Most show it because its a nice detail to show. As far as the scupper holes they probably could have done a couple of things. From most of the research I have done on them they probably  had leather flaps on the outside that closed off the opening for most of the smaller scuppers,acting like one way values, and at least for the pump dales scuppers, on the inside fitted with bucklers, flat boards to prevent water from coming in, along with the leather flaps on the outside.

From what I can tell most were made up of wood lined with leather or lead pipes that seem to have a curve in them or be at a 25 degree angle from the deck to the outside hull. The plans that are shown at the NMM shows the pipes as being curved and made in two parts to be hooked together. I remember reading about discharging straight  on to the deck which would make sense being that there was more scuppers that the water could flow to. Did come across one plan and it had a plug that they used to plug up the scupper with. If you want to look at this it is plan number ZAZ6880. Maybe it was used to help keep the trash out when they were doing field day.Hope this answer you question Robin.

Gary

Edited by garyshipwright

Excellent work Gary it really shows your skill.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Very very nicer work (as usual) Gary; she is looking great.  Always a pleasure to look in on your builds.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Thanks Robin, Michael, and Pat. Its allways nice to hear a good word from you folks.

Robin the ideal came from Daniel Victory build, HMS Victory by dafi - To Victory and beyond, in the kit section, who deserve's the credit on this one. If you go to post 157, page 11, he will show you how he made up the bucklers for the end of his pump dales. The bucklers make a lot of sense since thats what they used around the hawse holes and am sure they kept out a ton of water. The other thing about them is it would help lock the ends in place so the pressure of the water going out would keep them from moving all over the place, much like turning on a water hose and not holding on to the end of it.

Gary

Gary,

Beautiful, as always. I noticed the tubes between the pump cisterns. I hadn't seen that before. Very nice!

I still don't know where my helm port transom is going. I'll keep looking at yours very carefully as a source of inspiration.

Best wishes,

Mark

Your very very welcome Robin

Hi Mark and thank you. I ran across the tubes between the pump cisterns while researching their make up. Doesn't seem that not all of the cisterns had two dales per side. As far as your helm port sir, am sure you will figure it out. One difference I noticed is that I ran my stern timbers all the way up and you cut your's off at the quarter deck. I found this easier getting them align and hope that when I finally get around to this part that they will help me get every thing stright and level.

Gary

Enjoy the photo's folks.

Sure we do Gary! Not so many 74´s around to be astonished watching them under construction...Beatiful stern post.

Best wishes and happy modelling on March!

Daniel.

Wow just found your log Gary.. This is ridiculously good.. The sheer amount of work alone is bewildering let alone the quality.. hats off mate.. Ollie

• 2 months later...

Gary

Have not seen much posted lately. hope that all is well. Or is it computer problems again?

Later Tim

Current Build -- Finishing a 1:1 House that I've been building for a while

Current Build -- Triton Cross Section

Wow! Awesome!

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

A master`s work Gary,

I get excited for so much authentic shipbuilding, it is wonderful !

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

• 2 months later...

Seems like I am discovering a new master builder every day now.... And that's a very good thing for one who is still seeking to learn as much as possible about this amazing craft.

Pulling up a chair.

Dave

Sawdust Dave -

Current build - USS Constitution 1:60th (scratch)....

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

• 2 months later...

GARY HAVE NOT BEEN BY IN LONG TIME. BUSY WITH OTHER THINGS IN LIFE. JUST BEAUTIFUL PROGRESS ON YOUR MASTERPIECE.

MARIO

Edited by Cap'n Rat Fink

Thank You all...

Mario

:piratetongueor4:  :piratetongueor4:

"Each of us is a mixture of some good and some not so good qualities. In considering one's fellow man it's important to remember the good things ... We should refrain from making judgments just because a fella happens to be a dirty, rotten SOB(biscuit) ;) "

My Builds....

BETTEAU WAR OF 1812     BOUNTY LAUNCH(bashed)    CHESAPEAKE BAY FLATTIE

THE SEA of GALILEE BOAT   VICTORIAN STEAM LAUNCH(bashed)    HOWARD CHAPELLE's CRABBING SKIFF

LADY KATHRINE 1812 SCHOONER

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks Mario and Dave.

Mario your so right sir and work has kept me away from Montagu but I do look in on the site, to help me get through those times when there wasn't enough time to do any ship building. Things have eased up a bit the last month and have been working on the stern and the thirty two pounders which have all been installed and have a few more tackles to make up for them. In the mean time the stern upper and lower counter curves have kept me busy trying to get their curves just right. Seems every time I thought I had it right, found a part that didn't look just right and tore  it off just to redo it.

To me if those curves are not right your eyes lets you know, and every thing else is built upon those curves. So getting them right was high on the list. A make or break sort of item. Some thing that helped was the ideal that I got out of Davids new book the fire ship comet, the quarter gallery berthing piece on page 111. He talks about how he mount this on Comet so figure I would try it. After making 3 of them, I finally manage to make a port and stbd that fit the bill and this in turn help big time in getting her upper and lower counter curves to lay proper.

In the process the top plank on the lower counter was a little shy on meeting the rail of the lower counter and had to make a new one. Not glueing the planks in place and held by a small amount of glue on tree nails made pulling it off a lot less nerve racking. One thing about building up the curves of the quarter gallery is figuring out the curve of them. But there is hope for finding their curve  at least the one I came up with. English plans only show one pattern for this curve and that is on the quarter deck level, but is bigger then the ones that fit the upper deck. Taking their size off of the stern and sheer view and using the quarter deck pattern one can get it real close in size, which I do believe Montagu is just right. Sorry about the long delay in a up date. 

Gary 

post-264-0-21519500-1416078816_thumb.jpg

Beautiful work, Gary.  I have a deep appreciation for your statement about the stern being everything.   I hope you get some spend some more time in the shipyard as I've always found that it's great therapy after a long stretch at work.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Glad to see you back, Gary.  She looks terrific as always.

Ed

Great to see you back in the shipyard Gary. Your posts are always such an education!

Always a pleasure to catch up here!

Thank you for showing, Daniel

To victory and beyond! http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/76-hms-victory-by-dafi-to-victory-and-beyond/

See also our german forum for Sailing Ship Modeling and History: http://www.segelschiffsmodellbau.com/

Finest etch parts for HMS Victory 1:100 (Heller Kit) and other useful bits.

http://dafinismus.de/index_en.html

Thank's every one and all the likes.

Alan the planking on the stern it self is ebony and the curve was not to bad, but when I tried it on the  bottom pieces of the quarter gallery, no matter how much I soaked and heated it, it always seem to break, so I switch to pear and blacken them to match up with the ebony. One thing for sure it turns every thing black. 

Brian hope that the build will help you along in yours. Thanks to Mark there is some photo's of the Warrior model in the Gallery of Contemporary Models from Museums and Private collections that he has taken of the model and the best thing is he takes them through the eyes of a model builder. Should come in real handy thats for sure. 

Gary

Edited by garyshipwright