15th Century Latin Caravel by Vivian Galad - FINISHED - Artesania Latina - Scale 1/50

Hola Mija,

You are doing an excellent job on your Caravel. The more you work on these ships that actually take your mind away from everyday problems is truly a blessing. Continue doing what you are doing and remember to put your heart into it.

Raymond

Hola Raymond! Every time I got to my ship is a passionate thing and I can see myself on my 80´s still there, woods and tools and love to bring these beauties to the world =D. Have 3 more ships coming and can´t barely wait (thoughts of going after them pollute my mind...).

And here they are: !!! :cheers:

post-8919-0-09034700-1390357175_thumb.jpg

post-8919-0-24967600-1390357180_thumb.jpg

Now I can get back to work!!!!

Edited by Vivian Galad

Hi Vivian,

Wow!  I just had to tell you that I think your ship looks just great, but also thank you for all of the updates in your log as it really makes me feel like I have seen every step in your journey.  It has also good to see how you faced the little problems too, and helps give me confidence for myself  :)

I am glad you decided to keep the hull in the wood colours rather than paint it all black as I think it just looks so good as it is.

Hello Viv!!! Nice. You got yourself a nice set of fittings. These will make your build look even better.

Can't wait to see them on your ship.

Felicidades, linda!

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

Hey, Bindy! Thanks for passing by. Just saw u openned your log and I´m following ^^

Ulises, loved them and all the time I waited for them was paid. I´m very proud of my decision in letting the instructions aside (and the deadeyes that came with the kit too) and hearing my heart on the topic. Gracias chico!

Bug, ;)

And now, my latest progress. Before that, a phantasmagoric view of my ship at night!

post-8919-0-84888400-1390529782_thumb.jpg

Well, the work on deadeys began with rope and learning, for I had to consult some tips on the subject. I´ve waxed my ropes so they could look worn out, like the rest of the ship

post-8919-0-66739000-1390529772_thumb.jpg

It took me some time till I got it and could do that rolling up the rope look what it should look.

post-8919-0-21292400-1390529778_thumb.jpg

After that was a matter of repeating the process through the deck till all deadeys were in place.

post-8919-0-10243000-1390529788_thumb.jpg

And, that´s the rigging? Step by step my advance on the first pair holding the main mast.

post-8919-0-32142900-1390529793_thumb.jpg

post-8919-0-55757400-1390529798_thumb.jpg

post-8919-0-25900100-1390529803_thumb.jpg

Last one showing how it came out. Have to say I´m very happy looking at it - it´s the first pair of a set of 8 and took a lot of time from me.

I´m happy too cause my first new ship is waiting for me at my local post office and, aside a problem with taxes, I´m as a little girl waiting for a puppy. lol

Edited by Vivian Galad

Hey Jerome, one step at a time. Discovered my 3 new kits have arrived and, even with the excitement to go for them as quickly as possible, I´ll first have patience and keep the steps in my caravel. One day I´ll become a pro and won´t be in a hasty way. Loved to read it, though ;).

Ty, bug - Still working, rigging is the real thing, it seems.

Sam, I think all my builds will go that way since I love the look of used things, as if that was a history of it´s own. But I can apreciate those who work hard to bring a brand new ship, shining and all (well, maybe not shining :P). Today I was thinking if a ship that voyaged the Mediterranean would "age" differently from one on the Atlantic. Seems to me that the winds from the african coast would be more harsh, sandy (and they were used mainly for the travel south) and thus a more threatening weather than that faced on mediterranean sea. I´ll have to study that to do my Corel´s "Cocca Veneta". ^^ Thanks for following up. =*

Hi Vivian,

I agree that the look of your ship is awesome. It looks like the real ship of her period. Take your time in each step. Don't do anything too fast :) Someone wrote that every single part should be treated as a separate model itself. It helps concentrate on details then. 

Keep up your good work. I will be observing your progress :)

Paweł

Paweł

Current build: HMS Pandora: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/3409-hms-pandora-by-jastrz%C4%85b-constructo-185/

Finished projects:

Roar Ege 1:25, Billing Boats

Albatros 1:55, Constructo

Santa Maria 1:50, Mantua

Very nicely done Vivian.   That night pic looks just perfect as it's great to see a different presentation now and then. 

Now patience on the new kits or you'll have 4 build logs going on at the same time. :)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Pawel, thanks for your words. Patiance is all we need sometimes. And I agree with doing a model from everything ^^.

Sam, I´ll surelly do!

Mark, I was surprised for the view late at night, going to bed, when I turned off the lights. A pitty it got in a blur. As for my other builds, well, maybe 2 logs running?? :P

For the last update:

post-8919-0-22898500-1390791887_thumb.jpg

post-8919-0-06061600-1390791897_thumb.jpg

post-8919-0-17778000-1390791918_thumb.jpg

post-8919-0-22009400-1390791923_thumb.jpg

post-8919-0-54156300-1390791928_thumb.jpg

Those are the ship overall pictures. Following I bring some questions, since I got 2 "black sheep" deadey riggings

post-8919-0-26721300-1390791902_thumb.jpg

post-8919-0-43827100-1390791908_thumb.jpg

post-8919-0-54811200-1390791913_thumb.jpg

After pulling the strings very hard, some of the rope ran loose and I couldn´t keep everything aligned. Question is: In a sailing ship, how much the deadeys alignment matters? On the model´s instructions deadeys are even worse than mine, each in a different line and, as my wish is to show an aged ship, it´s possible this could be put aside as an overrated issue? Should I bring down those two rogue deadeyes and put them on the same line?

Edited by Vivian Galad

Vivian!!!  That is really good. I'm really impressed!!! It's looking very nice, very well done and so fast. :)

I am truly impressed with the quality of your build. Way to go!

Congratulations linda! Looks like you are on the right path!

Besos!

Ulises

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

Hi Vivian. Since the dead eyes and shrouds rarely moved much, I'd line them up. Besides, if you take the time to do it, you'll feel much better about it each time you look back at your build. If you don't, I suspect it'll bother you each time you look. :-)

-Bug

Vivian,

I don't know about 15th century latin vessels however I do know that lining up the deadeyes would be a point of pride in 19thC. Ships. They are set up then lined up and adjusted. It is a task that has to happen from time to time until the stretch is out of the shrouds. They way it was done was to bend one end of a handy billy (small protable block and tackle) to the end of the shroud and the other end part way up the shroud. Then by heaving on the purchase, you could tighten the shroud around the deadeye. Once it was adjusted to tension, the shroud was made fast such that the deadeye was lined up with the others in the gang of shrouds. Also, they used a sheer pole. I don't know if such a beast existed in the type of ship you are building but it served to help keep the deadeyes lined up as well as keeping them from twisting. Hope this helps. Great job you're doing there.

Hi Vivian, ship looks great!  I do not have tons of experience, but I have had similar issues with twisted rigging.  I pulled out the rope/string and reapplied pressure on the strings at different points until I got the darn thing to stay in place by some force of nature.  I had the glue in hand to cheat but alas I didn't need it.  

Casey

"I drank what?" - Socrates

Current Builds:  

Finished Builds: 

Future Builds:        

• Mamoli Golden Hind
  • Mamoli Black Prince
  • AL Swift

Hey, Ulises, don´t make me full o´ myself! I´m a student on a teachers´ room, just learning - and they´r so great in teaching!!! Thanks!!!

Bug, that´s true. Even if didn´t matter, I would never look at her without that feeling I did something unworthy of her.

Canadian Sailor - Yep. I can see it and think if not for pride, at least for practice for the sailors, as doing it right should mean something regarding skills or following one´s orders.

Casey, I´ll bring them back aligned, that´s the right thing to do.

Ty, guys. I asked it as someone really interested in knowing how a ship works - Can´t think on things only for aesthetics. As I said before, I want to bring a "live" model. To have that feeling that it sailed on the Atlantic, venturing down the african coast, facing new worlds and braving an unknown ocean.

You could put a crew aboard and make them look frightened, that would give it that Atlantic look. Leave your shrouds alone unless you can get under that deck without damage and spread them out so there is room for the dead-eyes to lay flat. Looks fine for an early build and the next time you will be thinking about the placement of the lower ends. Keep up the good work.

jud

I´m a student on a teachers´ room, just learning - and they´r so great in teaching!!! Thanks!!!

I have read your logs Vivian and I know you are still learning too (and still collecting tools!) but you really are such an inspiration!  Your ship just looks so amazingly good and is already starting to come to life in my eyes :)

Jud, I thought about some monsters too, but I´ll do that after some more kits. ^^

Bindy, as we share this early love for modelling, all I can say is tyvm and I promise my ships will keep pouring through the forum, I hope yours too. For the tools, well, it seems it´s never enough - already planning to buy a circular saw, need a small hammer - needles will come in handy. I have some small pieces created just for the ship I´m building atm (a glue doser, templates, holders...) and think it´s part of the hobby to create our own tools here and there.

Now, I´ll try my patiance:

post-8919-0-56844300-1390949259_thumb.jpg

(How can I wait to begin???)

Edited by Vivian Galad

I think you should make the Red Dragon your next masterpiece! I have that one on my radar.

Casey

"I drank what?" - Socrates

Current Builds:  

Finished Builds: 

Future Builds:        

• Mamoli Golden Hind
  • Mamoli Black Prince
  • AL Swift

Beautiful work Vivian, You are a very skilfull young lady. Great looking model and a very nice job on rigging. I alway admire people, who can create ship models from wood. Thank you for the inspiration.

Best regards and a lot of fun during the build
Doris :piratebo5:

Doris

Current build:

HMS Royal Katherine 1664 from card

Hola Mija,

I am pleased that you 've gotten your new models to work with, "Bien emocionante verdad". I too feel happy when I get plans and get the chance to buy the wood necessary to build them from scratch. I look forward to seeing more progress on your build.