US Brig Syren by Gahm - Model Shipways

Hi Thomas, thanks for the info on the Caldercraft guns. I'll have to remember that for a future build. Your cleats are looking good and I like the way you fastened your stern gunport lids.

Richard

Current Build - U.S. Syren

2nd Build - HMS Bounty Launch

When organizing your thoughts, never use the Dewey Decimal system.

Stern looks GREAT!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Richard, Augie, Dirk, and B.E., thank you for your nice comments!

I am always in awe when I look at your build logs. The creativity, the ideas on how to improve on the details of already well designed kits, the craftsmanship     . . .  it is just a pleasure to watch and learn!

Thomas

Current Built:   Model Shipways  Syren  (US Brig 1803)

Last Built:        Anfora (kit bashed)  Ictineo II  (1st steam powered submarine 1864)

Very nice build.  I really enjoy following these logs and learning so many techniques to do things...

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

Thank you, John. You are absolutely right, this forum with its many logs documenting different techniques and styles is really a great resource for building ship models!

Thomas

Last Built:        Anfora (kit bashed)  Ictineo II  (1st steam powered submarine 1864)

• 2 weeks later...

I added boarding ladders and channels – and with that I am finished with Chapter 9 :) .  

The channels as well as the boarding ladder steps I pinned on first (image 1) before I glued them to the hull in order to guarantee optimal placement. This is especially of interest with the channels as the precut notches which determine the locations of the dead eyes later may interfere with the gun ports if the placement is not done correctly. Images 2 – 5 show some different perspectives of the model with boarding ladders and channels attached.

post-925-0-67285400-1379554463_thumb.jpg

post-925-0-97731000-1379554464_thumb.jpg

post-925-0-03182800-1379554466_thumb.jpg

post-925-0-36846300-1379554467_thumb.jpg

post-925-0-91589700-1379554468_thumb.jpg

Wow, this is such a fine build. Looking really good.

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

• 2 weeks later...

I started with the first part of the head rails, the cheeks. After a bit of experimentation I found a technique which seems to work for me. I use pear wood as it allows for more precise carving of the scrolls due to its higher density. However, this advantage turns into a disadvantage when the molding lines need to be done. The grain of the wood very easily derails the impression of straight lines. Therefore I took the laser cut negative shapes of the cheeks (which are left when you cut out the cheeks provided by the kit) as guides to impress and carve the lines into the pear wood (images 1 a d 2). I finished the lines and the carving of the scrolls before I roughly cut out the cheeks with a (manual) scroll saw (image 3 and 4). All that remains to be done is sand the pieces to the right shape (image 5). Images 6 and 7 show the first prototypes temporarily mounted to check for the right fit.

post-925-0-86755600-1381008648_thumb.jpg

Copying of the cheek contour onto the pear wood

post-925-0-99692500-1381008649_thumb.jpg

Impressing and carving the molding lines into the pear wood 

post-925-0-20587100-1381008651_thumb.jpg

Lines and scroll are done before cutting out the cheek

post-925-0-85398700-1381008651_thumb.jpg

The cheek is roughly cut out with a manual scroll saw

post-925-0-84236700-1381008652_thumb.jpg

Finished cheeks after sanding 

post-925-0-23771000-1381008654_thumb.jpg

Temporarily mounting of prototype cheek to check for correct fit

post-925-0-98515900-1381008655_thumb.jpg

Thank you, Dirk and Richard!

Dirk, I am still convinced that you will be finished with your whole ship when I am done with the rails. Actually you are already very advanced with your rails and they look very, very nice! So better don't wait for me! :)

Richard, after having worked on the cheeks I realize what kind of tricky stuff they are. And the rest of the rails is probably not much better. So I am even more impressed by how quickly you put the whole rails together and how nice they turned out!

Thomas

Watching your build is making me nervous. I will never be able to do my Syren justice when it arrives and I start.

Cheers

Rowan

Current Build - US Brig Syren - Model Shipways - 1:64 - 1st wood build

Armed Virginia Sloop with complimentary 8x paint MS paint set - Model Shipways - Ordered 31st October 2013

Victory Cross Section - Corel - Ordered 15th October

Ferit, Bob, Rowan,

Thank you for your nice compliments! Your feed back on those cheeks is most welcome. I have done several prototypes by now and there was/is always something about them which I think I need to improve upon. That is one of the problems when you are too close to a project!  :)

Thomas

Cheeks are finished and mounted. Using pear wood it was difficult to apply the impression method to the lower parts of the cheeks with satisfactory results. So I built each part out of three layers, the middle one being about the thickness of the middle “molding line” (Img 1/ Fig 1).  Gluing the 3 pieces together generates natural guides for the molding lines which can be opened up with a carving knife to match the upper part of the cheek (Img 1/ Fig 2). The tricky piece is the transition from the upper to the lower cheek. After fitting both parts to the model I glued them together without permanently mounting them to the Syren. In this way it was much easier to clean up the transitions (Img 1/ Fig 3).  The final result now permanently attached to my Syren is shown in Img 2 – 4.

post-925-0-87306000-1381688588_thumb.jpg

Image 1

post-925-0-71089000-1381688589_thumb.jpg

Image 2

[post-925-0-60210900-1381688590_thumb.jpg

Image 3

post-925-0-69335100-1381688591_thumb.jpg

Image 4

Dirk, thowen, B.E., Thank you for your kind comments! With these head rails I follow Chuck's advice in the instruction booklet and take each step as a little project on its own. That makes for slow progress, but eventually I may be getting there  :)

Thomas

Really nice job on the cheeks, Thomas. I've gone the lamination route on my last few builds and like it a lot. You can save some effort by sanding the edges of the pieces to form the moldings before gluing them together, rather than carving them in.

Bob

Thank you, Bob and Richard!

Bob, you are right , sanding the edges before gluing the parts together helps quite a bit to get a "decent" guide for the lines. I mainly used the carving knife to open up the lines to the same width and depth which the upper cheek parts had so that the transition looked a bit smoother.

Richard, yes, I intend to do all parts of the headrails out of pear wood - and any other "fine detail" work on my model as well. A denser wood has just a lot of advantages when it comes to detailed work. And I was lucky, when I built the quarter badges I ordered me some Swiss pear wood, which turned out to NOT have the typical reddish look but was more of a yellowish to greenish color. Initially I was a bit disappointed and did not like it too much until I discovered that it perfectly blends in with the bass wood I am using on my model! 

Thomas

• 4 weeks later...

A little progress - I finished the hawse pipes. The anchor cables which are shown in the pictures are not my final choice. But I still have some time to get me the “right” ones.  :)

post-925-0-20235500-1384108522_thumb.jpg

post-925-0-86402500-1384108541_thumb.jpg

post-925-0-08269100-1384108543_thumb.jpg

Yes, I liked your idea of showing the lead as an additional detail of the hawse pipes. Makes them look a bit more interesting than having just for black holes there  ;)

Thomas

What a clean, well done job!  Great work!

Forgive me if I missed this in the log, but what sort of stock did you use for the hawse lining, and where did you get it?