A video about attaching blocks to spars and masts

Modeler12

Thanks to Bender (and with his permission) I have put together as brief video about how to rig a block to a spar, mast or gaff.

I hope this may be of some use to you.

Jay

Current build Cross Section USS Constitution  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10120-cross-section-forward-area-of-the-uss-constitution/

Finished USS Constitution:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/103-uss-constitution-by-modeler12/

'A picture is worth a  . . . . .'      More is better . . . .

Thanks for the posting...simple and easy

Mark
Phoenix, AZ

Current builds;

Previous builds, in rough order of execution;
Shipjack, Peterbrough Canoe, Flying Fish, Half Moon, Britannia racing sloop, Whale boat, Bluenose, Picket boat, Viking longboat, Atlantic, Fair American, Mary Taylor, half hull Enterprise, Hacchoro, HMS Fly, Khufu Solar Boat.

On the shelf; Royal Barge, Jefferson Davis.

Thank you. Nice tip. Oh...and beautiful music. What is it?

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

Thank you for that simple informative video.

So simple yet so useful.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Yes, you guys, it is so simple, and that is why I liked the idea.

I bet that most of us have 'struggled' doing this business by stropping a block, add a seizing, and then somehow attaching it to a post (perhaps with another seizing). This does it in one easy step.

The music, incidentally, should not be identifiable per You-Tube requirements, but it is some Latin guitar music I picked up a couple years ago. To make this video I have to combine the 'scenes', narrative and 'music'. All of that with some editing and critique from the admiral. But it is fun to do this as well.

Jay

Current build Cross Section USS Constitution  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10120-cross-section-forward-area-of-the-uss-constitution/

Finished USS Constitution:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/103-uss-constitution-by-modeler12/

That was an excellant video -- very well done also.

Many thanks.     :D

Till next time.....     😎

Steve

Finished:              Artesania Latina Constellation;   Model Shipways USF Confederacy:  Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Company

Current Build:     Syren's Winchelsea 

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to put the video together, a master tutorial. I am just about to start rigging my Convulsion so this will be constantly played over and over until I get it right, hopefully unlike VHS tapes, you tube videos do not wear out. I could have just liked it but wanted to convey what us amateurs feel about those who do are prepared to help educate us - thanks to Bender too. Best wishes Glyn.

Current build - HM Mortar Convulsion (Caldercraft) - Suspended pending rigging experience

HMS Sharke (Sergal)

On the shelf: HMAV Bounty (Caldercraft), Portsmouth (Mamoli) & HMS Victory (Caldercraft)

Thanks a lot! Very helpful

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Jay I thought you'd like to know that I have just attached my first ever deadeyes to the bowsprit if my Convulsion using the method you demonstrated in the video and they look okay however I overdid the CA. Many thanks.

Glyn

Current build - HM Mortar Convulsion (Caldercraft) - Suspended pending rigging experience

HMS Sharke (Sergal)

On the shelf: HMAV Bounty (Caldercraft), Portsmouth (Mamoli) & HMS Victory (Caldercraft)

Glyn, don't feel bad about overdoing any kind of adhesive. I am sure we all have done that many times.

With time and practice I have learned to be very stingy with adhesives and solder as well.

Glad the video helped you.

Jay