Cutty Sark by omarcs - Scientific Models - scale 1:140 approx

Hello!!

The ship is on my work table and I have been working on other project instead of her.

My energy primarily goes to my 1967 Barracuda. It has been a long restoration and I want to start her up this spring. I bought her new and she has over 200,000 miles and had a lot of things to do to get her up and running

So I have satisfied the ship itch by watching the work of others

Omar

Omar

Cutty Sark   Scientific kit 1:140ish

• 1 year later...

How time flies. Over 2 years. I did not realize it had been so long.

I added a few items to the ship this week:

1. freeing ports made from card stock. I was going to use very thin balsa until I realized how out of scale they would be.

2.The grates at the helmsman station. I had saved some copper screen from who knows what that gave me a reasonable grate at my scale. a 10mm X 10 mm is too small for me to make out of wood.

Obviously I did not perish at sea. The ship sits on my work table along with an alien space ship still under construction, but I have been putting my creative time into my 1967 Barracuda. It is finally at the final few adjustments to linkages and I now am ready to do more work on my ship.   

Omar

Edited by omarcs
typo

Omar

• 1 month later...

I just finished a Scientific Cutty Sark kit #163 which I had started many years ago.  Last year around February, I decided to finish it, so I dug the box out of storage only to find half of the material was missing.  Since I had the hull nicely shaped a sanded smoothly, I went to eBay and found another kit for sale.  When I go it, I found it had a different set of plans than the one I had.  My original kit did not have a several page booklet of instructions plus a different "lifelike" plan sheet.  Also, some details and expected parts were not included.  I decided to used the newer more detailed plans and made adaptations as needed.  One real difference I found, was the space between the poop deck and the pin rail near the steering box was almost non-existent. Also, I decided to go with rolled up sails on the fore, main and mizzen masts. 

Well, I finished her last week although at times I wondered if I would get her done.

I send my encouragement to you to hang in there and take your Cutty Sark to the finish line.

Paul

IMG_2764 (1).jpg

IMG_2766.jpg

IMG_2762.jpg

IMG_2761.jpg

IMG_2742.jpg

IMG_2763.jpg

Paul

Cutty Sark, Scientific Models (no build log)

18th Century Armed Longboat, Model Shipways

Civil War Coffee Wagon and Limber, Model Shipways side project

New Bedford Whaleboat, Model Shipways

Civil War Gatling Gun, Model Shipways side project

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hello friends!!!

The hobby car is 99.9% complete most days so I decided the ship has been patient long enough and I need to get back to work.

The first task was to figure out where I was and then to decide on the next task. I decided to work on the bow area. I have been browsing my store of reference material and the internet. I think I am safe to start on bowsprit and gammoning. When finished they won't be in the way of subsequent work. After this work my intention is to place eye bolts on bow. 

I finished, I hope, the dauphin striker. The kit version was not satisfactory, and after the stem accident tore it up, I had no reason not to try for better. I have managed "different". I may need to try it again. I am using styrene and thin wire so it is easy to build. I will post pictures of effort #1.

Omar 

Omar

• 2 weeks later...

my excuse for no pictures is that I am actually working on the ship . I am using a dowel and copper wire, harder than i anticipated.  I do have the 4 loops made and glued. I drilled a hole through the dowel and am running copper wire through the hole. I twisted the wire into 2 loops from 1 piece of wire. 2 strands of wire works pretty good, while 4 strands is too many. The dowel is too big in diameter so I am working on getting it slimmer. it is good to be working on the ship.

Omar

Omar

• The title was changed to Cutty Sark by omarcs - Scientific Models - scale 1:140 approx