Hi Captain Steve

I use a similar method with a bit of a 'twist' so to speak. I have taken two different diameter brass nails and cut off the heads. I filed one side of the top of each nail flat so that I could drill a 0.8mm hole through each. The nails were then whipped into dowel handles. Using two different diameter nails allowed for different sided rings and hooks. Rings are produced in the same manner as you demonstrated except that I start by placing the brass wire in the hole before wrapping it around the nail. This allows more 'grip' and produces a 'tighter' ring. Hooks are made similarly. I place one end of the brass wire in the hole, bend to shape then cut the wire, reverse it and bend again. I usually then place them in my fly tying vice and silver solder before blackening with Birchwood Casey Brass Black.

post-1505-0-38780300-1453064405_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Steve

Hornet

Current Build: - OcCre Shackleton’s Endurance. 

Completed Ship Builds:

Caldercraft - HM Bark Endeavour. (in Gallery)

Caldercraft  - HMAV Bounty (in Gallery)

Caldercraft - HM Brig Supply (In Gallery)

Aeropiccola - Golden Hind

- Constitution

Clipper Seawitch (maker unknown - too long ago to remember!)

Corel - Victory

Modeller's Shipyard - A Schooner of Port Jackson - In Gallery

- Brig `Perseverance' - In Gallery

- Cutter `Mermaid'- In Gallery

- Sirius Longboat (bashed) - In Gallery

- Sloop Norfolk - In Gallery

Completed Cannon:   - French 18th Century Naval Cannon

- Napoleonic 12 pound field piece

- English 18th Century Carronade

Non Ship Builds - Sopwith Camel - Artesania Latina

- Fokker DR1 - Artesania Latina

MOSQUITO MESH AND CLEAR ACETATE: To make windows.

Hi

This is a great idea but could you please tell me if the netting is glued to the acetate and if so what with

Thank you

post-975-0-93241600-1453293656_thumb.jpg

Yes it is! I use some stuff in a spray can that artists use to protect their pencil or pastel works from smearing. Since I got this in Mexico I don't think it will make any sense to tell you brand or where I bought it. Look for it in artists or hobby shops.

I extend the mesh over a piece of wax paper, spray it heavy with the stuff, place the acetate over it and then a heavy book or similar object to press evenly. (Pressing between 2 sheets of glass would be ideal)

A couple of sheets will serve you for a life time.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Ulises Victoria

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

• 2 weeks later...

For those who may have missed it, re-printed below, with permission, is MSW member donrobinson’s brilliantly easy method for making oars for your ship’s boats …

The dowels I am using are 2mm and found at a local hobby store. I soaked one end in water for fifteen-twenty minutes then put in my mini vice. I put them in at a depth of 15mm and left them clamped for about the same amount of time.
post-675-0-67388500-1454104021.jpg

My vice has notches in the jaws for holding stock so that is why I am using the angle iron so as not to distort the dowel.
post-675-0-83896700-1454104022.jpg

This picture is showing the initial dowel(at the bottom) how it comes out of the vice and then the various shapes that I made. They may look a little crooked in pictures but they are straight just the photo playing tricks.
post-675-0-46328900-1454104023.jpgpost-675-0-04651300-1454104024.jpg

These last two pictures are just trying to show the edge of the blade.
I show clamping two dowels at once but in reality just do one at a time by the time you take one out(and replace it) get it shaped properly the next one is ready and so on and so on.........

Try it out it is quite easy and beats laminating or carving down larger stock to shape. Different size stock can be used but just adjust your soaking and clamping times.

Thanks, Don.

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

It's amazing how simple tbis is and what an incredible result. This will go in my memory vault.

havagooday

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

• 4 weeks later...

Bamboo BBQ strips

Very strong, rounded, and, the most important, same diameter as rotary tools for Dremell, so ...

post-4738-0-38014700-1456590777_thumb.jpg

post-4738-0-42677100-1456590743_thumb.jpg

post-4738-0-77390600-1456590701_thumb.jpg

Edited by Nenad

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Bamboo BBQ strips  again

Same dia as Dremell caliper

Spokes for steering wheel

post-4738-0-96142200-1457089976_thumb.jpg

post-4738-0-67459400-1457089972_thumb.jpg

Fine tunning has to be applied, but you get an idea

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Seriously talented people for sure, there are loads of good ideas I will hopefully fall back on. The micro work you do is amazing, reminds me of the guy who builds statues ect on the tip of a matchead. Great thread this one.

Current build: Caldercraft 1:64 HM Brig Supply

Finished builds: HMS Endeavours longboat

Awesome wheel Nenad!

Matt - aka The Squirrel Whisperer

Current builds - Benjamin W. Latham by Matt

Competed builds - USS Ranger by Matt

HMS Bounty Launch by Matt

18th Century 10" Sea Mortar by Matt

18th Century Naval Smoothbore by Matt

Future builds - Willie L. Bennett Chesapeake Bay skipjack (MS) Half Moon (Corel) Emma C Berry Lobster Smack (MS)US Brigantine Eagle (Corel) New Bedford Whaleboat (MS)

• 3 weeks later...

MILITARY SCALE FIGURES

A number of modellers here on MSW show remarkable skills when it comes to sculpting small details to be added to their ships. The following list is by no means exhaustive, but just a few of the amazing sculptors I have seen are:
- NM Brooks
- Sawdust Dave
- Piet

… or, indeed, anyone who has modelled the Wasa, Sovereign of the Seas or any other heavily-ornamented ship.

Not to take anything away from the fine work done by these gentlemen, but not everybody (me !!) possesses their level of sculpting talent.

For the rest of us, the following idea may prove useful. Seen here, RSchissler shows how he has taken a pack of plastic figurines and trimmed them to create his knechten figureheads. These figures can be purchased in a variety of scale sizes, so choosing a size to suit your own build is very easy.

With Randy’s permission, I have lifted these photos from his Golden Hind build log. His steps should be self-explanatory:

post-675-0-15248200-1458971639.jpgpost-675-0-04121000-1458971641.jpgpost-675-0-23081200-1458971642.jpgpost-675-0-49095400-1458971643.jpgpost-675-0-60838600-1458971644.jpg

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

You can see a great example of this technique on Blue Ensign's Pegasus build log starting at post 1372

Current Build: Model Shipways USS Frigate Constitution

Past Builds:    Bob Hunt's kitbash of the Mamoli Rattlesnake

Model Shipways Typical Ship’s Boat for the Rattlesnake

Mini-Mamoli solid hull British Schooner Evergreen
                         Model Airways Albatros D.Va - 1917, The Red Baron's Forgotten Fighter

​Member: Nautical Research Guild

• 3 weeks later...

WATCH PARTS - Search E-Bay for this phrase: "steam punk". A 30g packet containing hundreds of miniscule cogs, gear-wheels, coils and springs cost me less than A$20.00 (including shipping). Watch-spring coils will, I imagine, make excellent mast-bands!!

attachicon.gifSteamPunk.JPG

Not bad Steve,

Steam Punk, maybe some suitable wheels for modeling winches, etc....

Nils

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

• 4 weeks later...

SELF-ADHESIVE COPPER STIPS & WOOD VENEER

Simple, custom battery holder with switch.

I have zero experience with electronics or model lighting so this made things easier. I picked a 3mm red LED and a 3V battery to light a lantern. Start with making a small box that fits the battery snug. Cut two strips of copper tape and adhere them to the inside surface of the box. Make sure you drill a small hole in the bottom to be able to insert a toothpick in and push out the battery. Next cut the copper on each side into an 'L' shape, leaving one side long and the other the length of the box. Add a thin copper strip to to the cut down side, making sure to not have any part of the two touching. These become the switch.

post-17116-0-15374100-1462652336_thumb.jpeg

Next, cut a void out of another piece of veneer and glue it on top of the side with two strips, leaving two squares of copper exposed. Cut a thin strip of veneer that will easily fit in this void and put a piece of copper strip on the end. Make it big enough to contact both copper spots(the other part of the switch). Then glue another piece of veneer to sandwich on top. Bend over and glue the copper legs to the box face, scrape off the self adhesive and paint, if desired. Next, tape down the ends of the wire to each side of the box with copper tape. Paint, if desired. Make sure the copper on the strip faces the copper on the box.

post-17116-0-08083400-1462652352_thumb.jpeg

To turn on, simply insert wood strip, copper to copper. Pull out to turn off. This can be adapted to fit whatever size battery you need and can easily be disguised into a part of your model and/or stand.

post-17116-0-58960900-1462652364_thumb.jpeg

Matt - aka The Squirrel Whisperer

Current builds - Benjamin W. Latham by Matt

Competed builds - USS Ranger by Matt

HMS Bounty Launch by Matt

18th Century 10" Sea Mortar by Matt

18th Century Naval Smoothbore by Matt

Future builds - Willie L. Bennett Chesapeake Bay skipjack (MS) Half Moon (Corel) Emma C Berry Lobster Smack (MS)US Brigantine Eagle (Corel) New Bedford Whaleboat (MS)

1x7, 1x19 and 7x7 strand wire rope in sizes down to .008" diameter is available from fishing gear suppliers.  Great stuff for making wire rigging and other things require wire rope.  Here is a link to one place that sells it.  There are others including Amazon.

http://www.afwhiseas.com/Micro-Uncoated-Stainless-Steel-Trace-Wire-Bright-s/2022.htm

http://www.afwhiseas.com/Micro-Uncoated-Stainless-Trace-Wire-1-x-19-Bright-s/2227.htm

Edited by grsjax

My advice and comments are always worth what you paid for them.

Cardboard drink coasters are great for making up templates for items such as filler blocks.

post-1505-0-39946500-1462671496_thumb.jpg

Hornet

Current Build: - OcCre Shackleton’s Endurance. 

Completed Ship Builds:

Caldercraft - HM Bark Endeavour. (in Gallery)

Caldercraft  - HMAV Bounty (in Gallery)

Caldercraft - HM Brig Supply (In Gallery)

Aeropiccola - Golden Hind

- Constitution

Clipper Seawitch (maker unknown - too long ago to remember!)

Corel - Victory

Modeller's Shipyard - A Schooner of Port Jackson - In Gallery

- Brig `Perseverance' - In Gallery

- Cutter `Mermaid'- In Gallery

- Sirius Longboat (bashed) - In Gallery

- Sloop Norfolk - In Gallery

Completed Cannon:   - French 18th Century Naval Cannon

- Napoleonic 12 pound field piece

- English 18th Century Carronade

Non Ship Builds - Sopwith Camel - Artesania Latina

- Fokker DR1 - Artesania Latina

• 1 month later...

I use an old cereal box for glue dispensing.

Keep a side of the box handy, when you have a glue task (PVA, 2 pack or CA) cut about an inch square off.

Drop a small puddle on the waxed side, it won't soak in, dispense with a sharpened toothpick.

Once done fold the square in on itself (stops you gluing the square to the inside of the bin) and throw away.

Nick

I use the plastic covers that come on some canned goods (so the unused portions can be preserved in the fridge) - the PVA glue does not adhere to the plastic so after a while I just peel the built-up cured glue off and start over. CA doesn't peel off so easily - for that I use a piece of scrap card stock.

For PVA which I usually dilute, I use the clear caps that come with the big laundry detergent containers.  The PVA of course doesn't stick to it, and it makes for a small, reusable container.  With three kids we're always doing laundry in my house, so I have an endless supply of these :)

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

I use just a scrap of waxed paper for PVA and CA.   And a toothpick.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I use the plastic tops off of Pringle tubes and a toothpick. They are also good for mixing small amounts of paint

Hi folks trouble is back.

I use the bottom from a plastic soda bottle. Then I have five wells, one for PVA, PVA and water, soapy water, CA and acetone, in one place and they don't fall over. And the sides make good windows at a push. I also use the cap as a well if I only need one glue pot.

Ongoing builds,

SCutty Sark Revell 1/350 (Mini Nannie)

Cutty Sark Airfix 1/130 (Big Sis)

Will (Everard) Billings 1/65 but with wooden bottom, because I can