CaptainSteve

The Kit-Basher's Guide To The Galaxy

376 posts in this topic

Slug Tape

For simulating copper sheathing.

Cut to size and make a press to simulate nailing.

Search "slug tape copper repellent tape" on Amazon.

Currently, a  20mm x 4m roll costs £2,45

Self-adhesive paper

Also for simulating cooper sheating

post-4738-0-98761600-1479151770.jpg

And after march of 4000 pieces, playing with thin acrylic and mat lacquer looking for color of Muntz metal

post-4738-0-86525700-1479151769.jpg 

dgbot, Elijah, Canute and 5 others like this

The downside of solder is the lead.  It will deteriorate with time.

Yea, I can attest to that.  I have a AL Morgan Whale boat that I built some 20-25 years ago. All the harpoons, cutting knives, oar locks are made from some type of soft white metal (probably lead based bismuth or something) - all have become brittle, cracked and broke under their own weight. I've tried gluing them together with CA but another section will break off in time.

donrobinson, Elijah, Canute and 1 other like this

I guess I'll need to keep an eye on it. I'll let you know in 25 years. The solder is 60 / 40 Tin / Lead. I'm no chemist, but that may lengthen its' lifespan. Finding a lead free solder with a rosin core may work just as well as the core makes it more malleable and easier to flatten. I just hate using brass flat stock due to its' brittleness. One bend is all you get on that thin stuff.

I'll just need to post a note in front saying ' Please don't suck on the boat ' :)

I do clean the rollers with a paper towel when done rolling.

A good source of fine absolutely straight wire (if rather short pieces will work) is a wire brush.  The wire is stiff but not so stiff as music wire and can be bent with needle nose pliers to a rather sharp bend. Good for railings, some jackstays, and other small fixtures.

To get the wire out of the brush, you'll probably have to cut the brush; the wires are usually anchored in their holes with staples.

Another source of straight wire, but softer and somewhat larger in diameter, is Christmas tree ornament hangers.  They come in several diameters and colors.

Chazz

One of our members needed whip antennas for a destroyer model.  His son had left his drum set behind when he moved out.  The wire brushes from the drums provided long straight wire that wouldn't bend easily.

dgbot, mtaylor, Canute and 2 others like this

Just a thought ...

Would there ever be any benefit in saving these anti-damp things and building them into a model ship's hull?

BHC_2210.JPG

Canute likes this

Brian,

They're really only a temporary type of product used during storing or shipping.  The problem I can see is getting them out to bake any collected humidity which should be done periodically.  Maybe hidden discretely in a display case might be better.   I'm also not sure if they would draw the moisture out of the wood and cause premature aging.    

21 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

Brian,

They're really only a temporary type of product used during storing or shipping.  The problem I can see is getting them out to bake any collected humidity which should be done periodically.  Maybe hidden discretely in a display case might be better.   I'm also not sure if they would draw the moisture out of the wood and cause premature aging.    

Perhaps better to put a dehumidifier in the room with your models, if you're lucky enough to be able to have them all in one place.  If you're in a constant rainy region, however, that might not be helpful.

Also these gell can weep water if they get too hot.

If you ask me, it's too bloody dangerous and risky. 

Good though though.

Havagooday tof all

Greg 

mtaylor and Canute like this