This is one of the best topic on this forum. Thank you CaptainSteve. The sharing of how we build, what parts we use, where we scour and purchase parts. I am going to scour ebay and visit HobbyLobby and Michael's again - jewelry department.

Marc

Current Built: Zeehaen 1639, Dutch Fluit from Dutch explorer Abel J. Tasman

Unofficial motto of the VOC: "God is good, but trade is better"

Many people believe that Captain J. Cook discovered Australia in 1770. They tend to forget that Dutch mariner Willem Janszoon landed on Australia’s northern coast in 1606. Cook never even sighted the coast of Western Australia).

Thanks, Marc !!

I must say I am very pleasantly surprised that Kit-Basher's is still getting posts more than a year after I came up with the concept.

I look forward to the results of your shopping research.

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

HOW TO MAKE SMALL WINDOWS PAINS 1:60 scale

My build: HMS ENDEAVOUR.

I have an idea for your windows. I'm building my first ever model: HMS ENDEAVOUR by Artesania Latina. This kit came with metal window, but I decided to put led lights in my ship. What I did and it worked out very good if I have to say it myself. For the window's pennels I used polycarbonate clear hard plastic (the packaging from fingerbuns from Woolworths etc). I scibe on the inside with a sharp scaple and the painted enamel paint (any colour you want) over the scores and wiped away the excess. This method worked for me, the finished job looked like small windows pains.

Below is an uncleaned version of the scribe plastic painted white.

Next is the plastic quickly fitted to the unfinished stern.

Next is the side window pains inserted in the second planking.

Last is the unfinished carving of the side window roughly fitted.

post-16911-0-77577400-1421384414_thumb.jpg

post-16911-0-49987500-1421385049_thumb.jpg

post-16911-0-50689000-1421385091_thumb.jpg

post-16911-0-44145000-1421385126_thumb.jpg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

The compass box itself was made with thin pieces of hardwood because ..................................saw with a sled.

Salty Sea Dog do you create doll house furniture as well? The extreme miniature work you do, making doll house furniture would be pretty easy with your talents.

Marc

Many people believe that Captain J. Cook discovered Australia in 1770. They tend to forget that Dutch mariner Willem Janszoon landed on Australia’s northern coast in 1606. Cook never even sighted the coast of Western Australia).

HOW TO MAKE SMALL WINDOWS PAINS 1:60 scale

My build: HMS ENDEAVOUR.

I have an idea for your windows ...

Thanks for that, Greg !!

I'm hoping to light up the stern galleries on my (soon to be re-continued) Connie build, so your window idea will prove to be very useful.

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Hi Marc - No I haven't built any doll houses but I had considered building a miniature timber framed birdhouse once! Never got around to it though.

-Buck

Current build: AL Morgan's Whaleboat (1st build)

Kits in the ships locker: I cannot confirm nor deny that there may be a few kits in there...

CLEAR PLASTIC PIPE HOLDER

Uses: many / scale: any. Can be found on eBay for $.99 with free shipping.

I've been keeping my eye out for something to make my compass lens with. So I was getting a pipe cleaner to clean my pipe, and POW, there's my lens. I hastily went for my dremel and 30 min later I had my lens. I used a thicker piece(1/8) and after shaping, buffed out the edges to clear up most of the fog.

Matt

post-17116-0-26482600-1421605958_thumb.jpgpost-17116-0-63114700-1421606596_thumb.jpgpost-17116-0-85214200-1421607072_thumb.jpg

Matt - aka The Squirrel Whisperer

Current builds - Benjamin W. Latham by Matt

Competed builds - USS Ranger by Matt

HMS Bounty Launch by Matt

18th Century 10" Sea Mortar by Matt

18th Century Naval Smoothbore by Matt

Future builds - Willie L. Bennett Chesapeake Bay skipjack (MS) Half Moon (Corel) Emma C Berry Lobster Smack (MS)US Brigantine Eagle (Corel) New Bedford Whaleboat (MS)

Great idea Matt, the Admiral has a salad bowl made out of the same stuff, maybe I could cut .......... On second thoughts maybe not ;)

Hornet

Current Build: - OcCre Shackleton’s Endurance. 

Completed Ship Builds:

Caldercraft - HM Bark Endeavour. (in Gallery)

Caldercraft  - HMAV Bounty (in Gallery)

Caldercraft - HM Brig Supply (In Gallery)

Aeropiccola - Golden Hind

- Constitution

Clipper Seawitch (maker unknown - too long ago to remember!)

Corel - Victory

Modeller's Shipyard - A Schooner of Port Jackson - In Gallery

- Brig `Perseverance' - In Gallery

- Cutter `Mermaid'- In Gallery

- Sirius Longboat (bashed) - In Gallery

- Sloop Norfolk - In Gallery

Completed Cannon:   - French 18th Century Naval Cannon

- Napoleonic 12 pound field piece

- English 18th Century Carronade

Non Ship Builds - Sopwith Camel - Artesania Latina

- Fokker DR1 - Artesania Latina

Hornet,

Kit-Basher's does not endorse actions which may prove fatal to the ship-modeller.

:cheers:

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

JUNK MAIL DUMMY CREDIT CARDS & VINYL MINI BLIND CUT-OFFS

While not used as a part of the build, I use these all the time during the build. In the way an artists puts dabs of paint on a palette, I use the dummy credit cards that come in the mail as a glue palette for both white glue and CA. I only put a small amount of fresh glue on the card and then use a toothpick to apply just the right amount of glue to exactly the right place. This really works well for the little stuff I've been up to.

post-218-0-94194300-1421631517_thumb.jpg

At the big home centers like Home Depot, they usually have a department where they cut vinyl mini blinds to width. They end up with tons of little cut-offs and these are thick and stiff enough to mix up small batches of epoxy on and you just toss them when done. 

-Buck

Current build: AL Morgan's Whaleboat (1st build)

Kits in the ships locker: I cannot confirm nor deny that there may be a few kits in there...

Hornet,

Kit-Basher's does not endorse actions which may prove fatal to the ship-modeller.

:cheers:

Ahhh! Disclaimers are very important in our line of work. Especially when we have an Admiral overseeing our projects.  :D

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Hey "probablynot" Brian,

Thank you, and yes the gimbals are functional. Although, I've failed to produce a functioning compass. The challenge is out there, and though I have not produced at this moment, there may be a few squirrels in my head that I have yet to befriend.

I have other photos of the compass on my build log.

Matt

Future builds - Willie L. Bennett Chesapeake Bay skipjack (MS) Half Moon (Corel) Emma C Berry Lobster Smack (MS)US Brigantine Eagle (Corel) New Bedford Whaleboat (MS)

SALTY SEA DOG WROTE: While not used as a part of the build, I use these all the time during the build. In the way an artists puts dabs of paint on a palette, I use the dummy credit cards that come in the mail as a glue palette for both white glue and CA. I only put a small amount of fresh glue on the card and then use a toothpick to apply just the right amount of glue to exactly the right place. This really works well for the little stuff I've been up

At the big home centers like Home Depot, they usually have a department where they cut vinyl mini blinds to width. They end up with tons of little cut-offs and these are thick and stiff enough to mix up small batches of epoxy on and you just toss them when done.

Salty sea dog I use something quite similar: nonstick cooking paper, like the one my wife use to line cake tins. The only problem is, when it's empty my wife is not happy. ... and I'm in the dog's house. Lol

Edited by Greg the peg leg sailor

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

I also use non-branded "baby wipes" to wipe away any excess glue. They are moist enough to do the job, but not enough to wet it... I always have a packet next to me. It's also good to clean away dust etc.

So, we suppose to be happy if our dog is small with small doghouse, or live indoor? Or opposite?

He he ... Admiral's stuff is full of usefull things we can use, and with another things we can not live without (most precise and most finest scisors in house, needles of all kind and size, clothes for all purposes ...)

And a wish and a need to take this is usually stronger than us. I think only problem is - we just do not return borrowed stuff back to the place ...

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

We never return the stuff, but we know where it is LOL.

But Admiral don't, and that is a catch !!!

In progress:

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

We never return the stuff, but we know where it is LOL.

My big problem is that I never return stuff and I DON'T KNOW WHERE IT IS!!!!! :( :(

Hornet

Completed Ship Builds:

- Constitution

Corel - Victory

My big problem is that I never return stuff and I DON'T KNOW WHERE IT IS!!!!! :( :(

And in that case, dog house is smileing to you

;)

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

I am not sure if this belongs here.

Our KEURIG (coffee machine) died the other day and I took it completely apart to salvage the tiny bolts and nuts which I will be using on my Soling 1m RC sail boat. These tiny items will come in handy when anchoring the RC material to the hull. No pictures of the example yet but what follows is the completely taken apart coffee machine.

post-2705-0-00500800-1422030748_thumb.jpg

post-2705-0-82554600-1422030745_thumb.jpg

Rest in Peace

post-2705-0-11706900-1422030750_thumb.jpg

Tubing a tiny screws, nuts and bolts.

post-2705-0-24073800-1422030752_thumb.jpg

Here is the tiny items.

Marc

BEADS - (Is there anything they cannot do ??)

Many kits feature sails. However, from my limited experience (four manufacturers), I have never seen a kit supply eyelets (grommets) for the attaching of sails to spars.

For my Bounty Launch (1:16 scale), I used these beads:

post-675-0-07414300-1422163943_thumb.jpg

(... they are the very same ones used as Pommels for the cutlasses)

Evenly-spaced holes were cut along the top of my sails ...

post-675-0-15487900-1422163938_thumb.jpg

The beads were coated with two-part epoxy, inserted into the holes and positioned into place ... 

post-675-0-12261600-1422163945_thumb.jpg

Be sure to clear any glue from the bead hole with a toothpick before the glue sets ... or be prepared to re-drill the holes.

Depending on the type of bead used, you may find the glue will react, leaving a stain. This is from a test I did prior to actually fitting the beads to my sails ...

post-675-0-93178800-1422164917_thumb.jpg

This problem could be avoided by using wooden beads (if you can find them small enough). 

O'course, in my case, I was looking to create a particular effect. Here is my sail after some dry-brushing ...

post-675-0-66292800-1422164929_thumb.jpg

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

• 2 weeks later...

BEES WAX

Uses: everywhere

I've noticed that a lot of people weren't able to obtain just beeswax and had to improvise. As the label shows, it's from CaptainSteve backyard. If you live in a racially mixed area of town, either go to a salon or a large store in the area and look for ethnic or black hair care products. This is where beeswax can be found. You may not find this brand but there should be some brand of wax. It was only a couple bucks, but it'll go a long way.

Matt

post-17116-0-26728100-1422854909_thumb.jpg

Another source of bees wax is the plumbing department of your local hardware store.  The sealing ring used to install toilets is made from bees wax.

.... good to know,... but I would suggest a new one as opposed to recycling the used ring from toilet replacements------YUCK ......LOL !!!

JP

Built & De-Commissioned: HMS Endeavour (Corel), HMS Unicorn (Corel),

Abandoned: HMS Bounty (AL)

Completed : Wappen Von Hamburg (Corel), Le Renommee (Euromodel)... on hold

Current WIP: Berlin by Corel

On Shelf:  HMS Bounty (Billings),

Just found this thread. I noticed a push pin in my wall holding a calendar and thought it might make some sort of capstan.

post-289-0-72796800-1422920010.jpg

"Give you joy!"

Current Build: RATTLESNAKE 1:64 POB (Mamoli)

Kits on hand: "Lexington", Mamoli: "Robert E. Lee", Scientific

Scratch to do: "Fannie Dugan", 1870s Sidewheeler Steamboat

PACKAGING PLASTIC - To create Flemish Coils

CaptainSteve's Disclaimer

Although the following idea does not strictly adhere to the Kit-Basher's Guide mission statement of using "everyday items which could be tailored into ship parts to enhance our models", I felt that it was of value to ship-modelers, and needed to be readily accessible.

This idea originated from a post by MSW member, modeller12 (although I have tweaked Jay's idea slightly).

Using the rigid type of transparent plastic found in many types of packaging, cut out a pair of circular pieces. Make sure they are slightly bigger than the coils you wish to make. 

post-675-0-68350500-1423226921_thumb.jpg

Make a hole in the centres and insert a toothpick through the middle.

post-675-0-14283000-1423226925_thumb.jpg

With the disc pieces still apart, smear a layer of PVA glue onto the internal side of the bottom disc.

Begin to wrap your rope/thread around the toothpick.

Push the plastic discs together, and insert the point of the toothpick into a common pencil eraser.

post-675-0-78219100-1423226277_thumb.jpg

(Here, I have first threaded my rope out through the hole in the bottom disc, so as to position the coil in the desired location.)

Continue to wrap the rope around the toothpick by turning the whole eraser/disc/toothpick arrangement around and around.

Keep the plastic discs firmly pressed together until the glue has dried.

post-675-0-25074000-1423226281_thumb.jpg

Once the glue has set, separate the plastic discs, being careful when removing the bottom, glued, disc.

Remove the toothpick, and ...

post-675-0-84520500-1423226927_thumb.jpg

SHAMELESS PLUG: CaptainSteve uses and whole-heartedly endorses Chuck's ropes, as made by the Syren Ship Company.

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Just found this thread. I noticed a push pin in my wall holding a calendar and thought it might make some sort of capstan.

Thanks, 'Rat,

I'm certain that someone (or their squirrels) could make that work.

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Oh most definitely! Them squirrels would drill a few holes, chew down some toothpicks, insert said toothpicks in the holes and stab that bad boy on deck!!

Matt

Captain Steve, I posted a method of coiling ropes using transparent plastic `counters' (used in schools and available on ebay) on another thread a while back. Thought you may be interested

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/1310-making-rope-coils/?hl=%2Bmaking+%2Brope+%2Bcoils

Hornet

Completed Ship Builds:

- Constitution

Corel - Victory