Thank you all.

Greg.

You can find those ties in many sizes, while what I usually use (width of 2,5mm &3,5mm -03⁄32in-09⁄64in) I think matches with a scale of 1:25-1:30.

Thx

PLUMBING O-RINGS / AUTOMOTIVE VACUUM TUBING 

This may apply to more modern vessels, but they can be used to simulate rubber hoses for machinery. Cut the ring, and then cut to length as needed and bend to the shape needed. I got the O-Rings for less than a dollar per pack of 2 at a local installment of a national chain hardware store, and the vacuum hose at my local auto parts store for $5. I suspect they could be found cheaper online/elsewhere (esp the vacuum hose - but I was there and it caught my eye).

post-17514-0-11044700-1430160223_thumb.jpg

I'm specifically intending to use them in my doll-boat project to help detail the sailboat's engine/ engine compartment. There are some big coolant and raw seawater hoses (vacuum tube/thicker O-rings), as well as some smaller diameter fuel hoses, etc (thinner O-rings).

(Could be any scale; I'm working in 1:12)

~ Ben

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Current Builds:

'Doll-Boat' - 1:12 scale 40' Cruising Sailboat

S.S. Edmund Fitzgerald - 1:350 plastic kit w/ Photo Etch Parts (On Hold)

WATCH PARTS - Search E-Bay for this phrase: "steam punk". A 30g packet containing hundreds of miniscule cogs, gear-wheels, coils and springs cost me less than A$20.00 (including shipping). Watch-spring coils will, I imagine, make excellent mast-bands!!

attachicon.gifSteamPunk.JPG

While watch parts are great for very fine detail if you want something bigger clocks are great and cheap as everyone is going electric(these still have gigs just fewer and plastic). But BEWARE. The spring on clocks is a time bomb and WILL slice finger of given chance. So don't open the winding drum unless well protected. And then only if you must.

Ongoing builds,

SCutty Sark Revell 1/350 (Mini Nannie)

Cutty Sark Airfix 1/130 (Big Sis)

Will (Everard) Billings 1/65 but with wooden bottom, because I can

FUSE WIRE not really a subject for boats unless perhaps set in the future but for dioramas great fuse wire thinnest you can get. Then twist equally together. The another piece of slightly thicker fuse wire. And twist the first double twist about the final piece. To create that twisted look and almost the feel without the spikes. Fir finer scale twist a double or single wire around a core without the first twists. And adjust the spacing if needed after by sliding between gloved fingers. Also it's the spiral tha creates the look.

Hope this helps someone.

Ongoing builds,

I haven't tried lemons, although you are quite correct that they contain citric acid. I suspect that lemon juice might work, it would just take longer. Then again, the concentration may not be up to triggering the necessary chemical reaction.

Cheers,

Philip

I can confirm lemon juice does work as do soft drinks. Anything containing citric acid. If you want a very quick reaction hot vinegar or very warm citric acid in water. It's VERY cheap just £2 for enough to blaken a whole ship will also fetch galvanising off steel but that takes about a week.

Two things though items MUST be fully covered or you'll get bad pitting where it sits on the surface. Also a gentle stir to remove bubbles as they form helps keep the finish smooth. And the finishe is a very good rust proofing. As its a passive form of rust ferric tri oxide."

post-18378-0-19504800-1430237580_thumb.jpg

These were bright steel when I did them. Just left them for a week in a cup full of water and a 5-10ml of citric acid. A quick stir every day. And watch them darken until the colour is right just make sure they are dried quickly. A radiator is best. As the patina needs to dry out before it becomes effective. But these 1/8th bearings were done over a year ago. And I've been using them to clean inside of glass bottles. And there still good.

Citric acid is now used instead of hydrochloric acid by the steel industry. As it can be poured down the drain and no toxic effects. Apart from a sting if you have a cut.

I forgot to say the pictures are of bearings that have a coating of talc as it dries them faster after cleaning glass. As hydrophloric acid deadly stuff not only dissolves glass but steel and any calcium it can soak into.

Main point is they are normally darker

Edited by Izzy Madd

Ongoing builds,

DENTURE TABLETS

Nice piece of research Izzy,. The other bonus is of course that you can drink what's left over of your blackening solution. :cheers:

Cheers,

Philip

I wouldn't try drinking it as it becomes acetic acetone after soaking. Safe but not for drinking and taste like liquid steel. A quick thought for those not sure or only wants bit at a time. The main ingredient of denture tablets is...

...That's right citric acid. The second most commercially produced chemical in the world. And sadly I can't quite remember the first but it's just as useful and harmless.

So make mine a double iron bru. Well they did say it was made with girders. Perhaps that's how?

Ongoing builds,

RUBBER BANDS

Frustrated by cheap tweezers? Broken another spar because those tweezers just don't grip? Failed to thread that rigging because those darn tweezers just don't meet right.

Well struggle no more for here at the bargain price of, "catch the postman before he throws them on the floor" a one time offer ending never. Simply mug your nearest post man or if your lucky like me post woman. And grab a rubber band or two. Then using some good old CA just glue UNSTRETCHED strips to the tips and no more slipping! No more not meeting! And no more excuses for not doing that rigging right! A 100. % satisfaction or no money back result.works every time you do it right. Anyone needing advice on how it's done see below or send me any paper money you may have and you'll finally see the light...

post-18378-0-04207700-1430256793_thumb.jpg

post-18378-0-52789300-1430256805_thumb.jpg

Edited by Izzy Madd

Ongoing builds,

If rubber bands glued to your tweezers doesn't do anything for the inner man/woman, try some small heat-shrink insulation tubing from Radio Shack or an Auto Parts store.  Slide the tubing over the pointy parts of the tweezers and apply heat.  A match might even be hot enough, or a hair dryer.

There are many sizes and colors.

post-17589-0-43571700-1430263514_thumb.jpg

If rubber bands glued to your tweezers doesn't do anything for the inner man/woman, try some small heat-shrink insulation tubing from Radio Shack or an Auto Parts store. Slide the tubing over the pointy parts of the tweezers and apply heat. A match might even be hot enough, or a hair dryer.

There are many sizes and colors.

attachicon.gifheat-shrink.jpg

Ah but not as eco friendly as stopping your postal worker dropping rubber bands. Not only is it cheap it's saves the planet :-)

And it's it suitable for both left and right handed tweezers?

Edited by Izzy Madd

Ongoing builds,

Mustn't interfere with the mail carrier in the swift completion of his/her rounds.  They have protected status you know.

Obstructing or delaying the delivery of the mail constitutes mail tampering which is a violation of federal law and is punishable by a fine up to $5,000 and up to 5 years in federal prison.

Probably not because of a rubber band, but if you assaulted the carrier to obtain the band....

I'm in trouble then... I spent 10 mnutes or so, shooting the breeze with the local mail carrier today.  I'll go turn myself in to the local authorities for interfering with the completion of said rounds.   :D  :D :D  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Be careful with that Mark.  Federal penalties are stiff. They're liable to give you 9 years in the electric chair.   :D

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

I think you are safe Mark. The postmen's slogan is "through rain, hail or sleet, will never stop the postmen to do his duties". It doesn't say anything from interruption from model builders.

Havagooday

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

Mustn't interfere with the mail carrier in the swift completion of his/her rounds. They have protected status you know.

Obstructing or delaying the delivery of the mail constitutes mail tampering which is a violation of federal law and is punishable by a fine up to $5,000 and up to 5 years in federal prison.

Probably not because of a rubber band, but if you assaulted the carrier to obtain the band....

Just follow them as they are always dropping them around here. Just make sure your far enough away that they don't think your stalking them.

I'd hate for them to "go postal":-)

Edited by Izzy Madd

Ongoing builds,

Wouldn't it be safer to purchase a bag full of those from your local Office Depot, or similar depot in your country???  :cheers:

Mail persons in my country don't carry those rubber bands.  :P

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

I think you are safe Mark. The postmen's slogan is "through rain, hail or sleet, will never stop the postmen to do his duties". It doesn't say anything from interruption from model builders.

Havagooday

Greg

Hell, Greg, this past winter here the mail delivery was stopped due to SNOW and SLEET. - So much for the "slogan"

FOAMALITE Not exactly a household product but anybody looking for a low weight medium for building this is PVC based but low density cuts like balsa but reasonably water proof. And stronger than balsa I've just bout 100square foot for £20 delivered. Very good for any part that needs strength but not hard to cut. Softer cutting than ply but harder and glue with pic pipe glued. Just doesn't like long exposure to solvents or heat. Foamalite is the brand name so there may be other names used mainly by sign makers. It's solid sand to a beautiful finish and can be welded so becomes as one no seam to crack or flex. I don't know what else to say if you want any more info pm me

Oh yes main dimensions are 5mm thick. Best deal on 4' x 1' can also be got in 3mm but not from the same suppliers but can be got in sheets 4' x 4' from same suppliers normal sizes start at A4 can be bought at A5 for £0.99 as a sample.

Edited by Izzy Madd

Ongoing builds,

FLOWERS OF SULPHUR/LIVER OF SULPHUR not the same thing flowers a weaker form. WARNING HIGHLY TOXIC IF USED INDOORS also stinks. It's the stink, hydrogen sulphide, that is dangerous smell of rotten eggs. Great for blackening brass copper or gold and silver. It's the main ingredient of most blackening liquids but cheaper. Loads of instructions either pm or google it. Also can use over boiled eggs but takes longer. Same smell same result

These can also be used to produce actual thick layer of verdigris within a week but using the fumes not dipping. Simplist way is to place the model or parts in a plastic bag. Ensuring none of the desired bits are covered or touching the bag. And then plac a jar lid with the solution in, inside. And seal the bag and leave to get on with it. Clear bags are best then you can see when it's done. If possible a gentle source of heat help.

Edited by Izzy Madd

Ongoing builds,

LOTTO/CREDIT/LOYALTY CARDS

The lotto plastic cards for writing your numbers on that is reused each time. Same size as a credit card(UK I don't know about other countries).

But these are made from styrene if the edges are white. In a pinch if you are out of sheet plastic very handy. Just sand/scrape the paint off, there may be other ways I will update after test. Best part they are free. The lotto one are anyway.

Ongoing builds,

SPRUE

This is one that may well be known if so I apologise. But in the past when I've needed a glue that will fill larger gaps or just won't run off. If you collect the dust from filling/sanding/sawing bits of sprue and add a few drops of, I use pure acetone, USER BEWARE. But mix the dust withe the solvent of choice and you end up with a thick sticky glue come filler.

A similar effect can be done with CA and the baking soda trick. Only using sprue dust in place of the baking soda. But baking soda can also be used if it's going to be painted. Best if you can grind it to an even finer powder.

Also if you have a large gap an are trying these methods CA glue sets instantly upon contact with brass or copper. So if you add fillings of these to your gap filling powder the CA will set solid in seconds. Aluminium can be used but I find it's a bit slower. IMO

Ongoing builds,

Wouldn't it be safer to purchase a bag full of those from your local Office Depot, or similar depot in your country???  :cheers:

Mail persons in my country don't carry those rubber bands.  :P

That's in the "news breakthrough" at the bottom of the posting :-)

Ongoing builds,

BEADING NEEDLE

Not sure if these have found there way into anyone's tool kit yet.

But they come in long lengths 150mm average. Cost £3 ish for ten. And come in diameters/gauge of 0.2mm, may be less. Also they have a large eye 3-5mm that collapses. To pass through those pesky pulleys and dead eyes not to mention through that bit of the hull you forgot to thread when you could get to it. They are also quite flexible so easy to reach behind that winch that's in the way:-)

Ongoing builds,

BEADING NEEDLE

Not sure if these have found there way into anyone's tool kit yet.

Use them all the time. I get them in Joann's Fabrics in the US.

BEADING NEEDLE

Or needle threader.  It's a coin-sized disc with a tiny wire loop out one side.  Slide the loop through a hole which collapses it, then it opens up once through.  Put your line in the loop and pull back through.

post-17589-0-80278900-1430417027_thumb.jpg

... needle threader...

attachicon.gifneedle threader.jpg

I use this mounted to a toorhpick.

I think we went out of topic ... this is kit bashing, not jig/tool topic . There are many topics which are dedicated to tools, improvised tools and jigs

Edited by Nenad

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Or needle threader.  It's a coin-sized disc with a tiny wire loop out one side.  Slide the loop through a hole which collapses it, then it opens up once through.  Put your line in the loop and pull back through.

attachicon.gifneedle threader.jpg

The beading needles are very similar but have that longer reach for when finger are too big to get close enough. Bu I have these as well. Also as they are so dirt cheap I canalised one and fixed it to a piece of dowel for the same thighs spaces.

Ongoing builds,

Sorry my fault I started it and you are right. As are you Nenad, I just assumed they would be the first to be looked at. So didn't mention them but there is always someone who doesn't know. But enough of tools.

Wrists fully and justifiably slapped and I'll try not to do it again Cap'n. Or you'll have keel haul the lot of us. Har Jim me lad.

Ongoing builds,

Oh and one last thing about the supply of lotto cards before they all dissapear to be used on some one models. If groves are cut into the edge they make great glue spreaders for large ares.

Please don't have me flogged over this one Cap'n as its to do with a household item just another use. Please grovel grovel

Ongoing builds,