some books i just got

dragzz

id like to know if the books i got for shipbuilding are any good going to buy them i want to know frist if there good thay look like thay will help me out a lot ples let me know what u all think befor i buy them yes thay are used but it great shape he want 15.00 for both books heres a pic                 post-2052-0-96465800-1387075219_thumb.jpgpost-2052-0-53927400-1387075232_thumb.jpg

Both are very good books. I have them both. The planking book will help you plank any wooden shipmodel, while Underhill's book on rigging is geared towards later 19th century and early 20th century merchant vessels. If they are in usable condition, the price is excellent.

Russ

tys russ  thay in great shape no rips in at all just like new i will get them tommorw

Brian,

What would you suggest to update the Underhill book? I read an old copy in college about 15 years ago. I have a new (got it a few weeks ago) copy of it now. I can't imagine that anybody has any more up to date book about the subject. It was written at the close of the age of sail by someone involved in it. How much more up to date could we expect? I'd love to have a copy of anything more up to date if it exists though.

Thanks,

Daniel

Underhill's Masting and Rigging has not been updated and so far as I know no one has attempted to do any really fresh research on that subject.

It is NOT the second volume of Plank on Frame Models. They are two completely different books.

Russ

the book underhill says its the frist edition 1946 wow that cool iam going to have the book looked at to see what it really is now . it done not say reprint anywhere on the book just 1946 frist edition

sorry book not for sale  iam keeping this as a just got it 

tys for the great info jim

Dragzz,

Agreed, I'd keep hold of it if I were you, written as it was by an expert in the knowledge of late nineteenth/early twentieth century sail. Yes, it was written that long ago and it might be looked upon as old fashioned by some but, as had been said  – isn't that what you're looking for? I don't think there's much that's been written better since.

A mine of information, as are all Underhill's books.

Kester

Current builds: Sherbourne (Caldercraft) scale – 1/64th;

Statsraad Lehmkuhl (half model) 1/8th" – 1'.

Victory Bow Section (Panart/Mantua) scale – 1/78th  (on hold).

Previous build: Bluenose ll (Billings) scale – 1/100th.

So we're all in agreement then that Underhill's masting and rigging book is the bible. I am glad, I figured it was when I first read it 15 years ago. He's got a few other books out there that were awesome reads. I was incredibly lucky to attend a nautical college. I could litterally lose myself in there for years reading up on stuff. The sheer volume of nautical books in that library was incredible. And the college was a subsidiary of a university that also had a really good nautical section in it's library. I loved hanging out in those libraries at school.

the one thing its good for me to read that book as iam building the hms victory so in the long run it will good for me thank u all for the great info u have all gave me