Blacken-it (or similar) in Australia?

Guys

Can any of our Aussie friends point me to where I can source Blacken-it in Australia please?

My initial enquiries indicate that, being acid based, it cannot be shipped overseas. Is that correct or have I just been looking in the wrong places?

Cheers.

Mike

When all else fails - read the instructions.

current build

Model Shipways  Pride of Baltimore II 

completed

Billings   L'Etoile (1996)

Billings   Mary Ann (2012)

Occre     Brig Aurora (2013)

AL          J.S.Elcano (2014)

Model Shipways    Flying Fish (2018)

Mike,

I managed to get some from a UK supplier, but having tried it and then trying some Casey Birchwood Brass Black (as recommended by Danny) I think the latter is better.  You can order it online from an Australian supplier - check out this link:

http://westernfirearms.com.au/cleaning-gun-care-bluing-wood-metal-care-brass-black-p-1599.html?osCsid=acfoh1pgpc151aefure97cj1f5

Grant

Thanks for the reply mate - that looks to be exactly what I'm after, I'll give it a go.

Cheers :) 

Mike

current build

completed

Hi Mike,  there are plenty of places selling these sorts of products here in Oz.  There is a supplier in Perth that used to sell Carrs Brass Black; just can't think of the name at the moment (will need to search through my records).  Also many gun shops sell Birchwood Casey "Brass Black" (for repairs to gun barrels).  May pay to have a search around. 

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Hi Pat

Thanks, I had a search around and found a place that sells Birchwood Casey "Brass Black" just 5 mins drive from me. Been in this place for 12 years and never knew they existed. I wonder what other little goodies are lurking close by.

By the way, that is one seriously nice workshop you've got yourself.

Cheers

Edited by -Mike-

Mike

current build

completed

Thanks Mike; just got the Admiral's OK for the bar fridge too - won't be long before I can live in it (Now maybe that's why there's no resistance from the Admiral ........ :D

Mate, the other place I was tryiong to think of was DCC Concepts.  try:  http://www.dccconcepts.com/

cheers

Pat

See if there is a place that does stained glass work. Patina is used to blacken lead cane and solder. It works fine for me. Here is one source http://www.asgs.com.au/chemicals.html

To see how I have used it on brass, copper and other metals have a look at: 

http://www.brentjes.com/Conny%20Deck.html#black

Casting after one treatment post-246-0-67646400-1361812338.jpg

After two treatments in the mild acid solution post-246-0-81645800-1361812348.jpg

Edited by Modeler12

Jay

Current build Cross Section USS Constitution  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10120-cross-section-forward-area-of-the-uss-constitution/

Finished USS Constitution:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/103-uss-constitution-by-modeler12/

'A picture is worth a  . . . . .'      More is better . . . .

Cheers for that Pat. I'm one up on you, I've already got a bar fridge  :P I only need the shed, the tools, the power and light and not forgetting the most important....I need permission. That one might be a bit tricky. :rolleyes: 

As it happens I'm on the south side of Perth and DCC Concepts is not too far from here. I think I'll take a little drive down there and have a browse. You've given me some really useful info....thanks again.

Mike

current build

completed

Jay

Thanks for the reply and you have given me even more to choose from.... :)

Beautiful ship and build log. You do realise that I am now going to have to sit and read it all from start to finish!

Cheers

Mike

current build

completed

Jay

Thanks for the reply and you have given me even more to choose from.... :)

Beautiful ship and build log. You do realise that I am now going to have to sit and read it all from start to finish!

Cheers

Mike, thank you, but if you intend to read my log be sure to do it early in the morning. Otherwise you might fall asleep real fast.  B)

Jay

Current build Cross Section USS Constitution  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10120-cross-section-forward-area-of-the-uss-constitution/

Finished USS Constitution:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/103-uss-constitution-by-modeler12/

'A picture is worth a  . . . . .'      More is better . . . .

Hi Rich

Thanks for stopping by. I had a quick look to see if you had a build log but didn't see one. I wouldn't mind seeing the results when your done if that's ok? No sweat if it's a hassle - just curious.

Mike

current build

completed

I have used that blacken-it... off to go find example pic....

....back

Here is an after and before photo

DSC06925-L.jpg

It works differently on different metals, some just changes the hue a bit, some requires more time...you have to do trial and error to figure out what works for you and what effect you are looking for.  Here is a photo with it being applied to some brass (the above photo was an unknown pot-metal used in casting that part)  This had been a bright yellowish orange, and now it is a orangish brown.

DSC06998-L.jpg

hope this helps

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Sarah

Current Build:

Krabbenkutter CUX-87

Harriet Lane

Fishcutter GO-38

In the Wings:

Corel Victory Cross section

Completed Build:

USS Missouri minimissouri.jpgHMS Bounty's Jolly Boat thumbnail.jpg Peterboro Canoe tiny.jpg

Thanks Sarah, that helps a lot but now I'm feeling really dumb :blush: I should have remembered that I'd seen that effect before....and it was your build of Harriet Lane if I'm not mistaken.

Very nice build by the way.

Mike

current build

completed

Thanks Mike :) I'm just glad it helps.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Sarah

Current Build:

Krabbenkutter CUX-87

Harriet Lane

Fishcutter GO-38

In the Wings:

Corel Victory Cross section

Completed Build:

USS Missouri minimissouri.jpgHMS Bounty's Jolly Boat thumbnail.jpg Peterboro Canoe tiny.jpg

Good luck with getting the Admiral's OK Mike - now, I just gotta put some more pressure on getting the OK for the fridge :)

Hopefully you will find what you need down at DCC

cheers

Pat

Edited by BANYAN

Mike,

Yes, I will re-create my Niagara build log and will get some pics up (blackened metal, deck, hull).  I tried painting the parts, but that was an ugly mess (may be tempted to strip the paint off the guns and dip them in the solution for more even coloring).  I'll let ya know when I try it out!

-Rich

• 1 year later...

Hi Pat

Thanks, I had a search around and found a place that sells Birchwood Casey "Brass Black" just 5 mins drive from me. Been in this place for 12 years and never knew they existed. I wonder what other little goodies are lurking close by.

By the way, that is one seriously nice workshop you've got yourself.

Cheers

Mike,

I'm looking to get some of this stuff, also. The Bunnings staff just look at me like I'm crazy (a distinct possibility). Then they ask what I want it for. That always produces the "Oh, how cute!!" response.

Can you tell me where you got the Brass Black from in Perth ??

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Steve,

Don't tell them your using it on a model.. just kinda' shift, look at the ceiling, and say something like:  "I'd rather not say.". At least as they are slowly moving towards the door, they won't say: "That's cute."  :D  :D :D  :D  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Also I'm on the hunt as well. Might try the army surplus store on Wellington street see if they have something.

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

Good suggestion. There's also a couple of gunsmiths. One is in Northbridge at the upper end of William St (high numbers, around the 500s).

CaptainSteve

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Hey guys, I think I might have posted this before, but you can order the Birchwood Casey Brass Black on line from a place in Sydney - that's what I did. Here's the link to their website:

http://westernfirearms.com.au/cleaning-gun-care-bluing-wood-metal-care-brass-black-p-1599.html

Saw your original post, GJ.

For me, it just comes down to a question of balancing which is cheaper/easier .... a drive into town, or paying the freight and awaiting delivery.

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

You guys might try a stained glass shop if available. They use it to blacken the strips of copper foil they put between the glass. On the other hand if you can get the Birchwood Casey stuff it's really good.

Al D.

The heart is happiest when the head and the hands work together.

Al

Current Builds:

HMS Halifax 1/48 POF Lumberyard Kit

Model Shipways Glad Tidings

Acoustic Guitar Build FINISHED

Mike,

I'm looking to get some of this stuff, also. The Bunnings staff just look at me like I'm crazy (a distinct possibility). Then they ask what I want it for. That always produces the "Oh, how cute!!" response.

Can you tell me where you got the Brass Black from in Perth ??

Hi Steve

I originally got mine from a gun shop in Maddington but when I later went back for more the shop was boarded up - ceased trading. I rang a couple of other gun shops but they just said "sorry out of stock don't know when we will be getting more" I eventually got more from some place over east on ebay called midwayaustralia. I've just had a quick look at their ebay store and it's not listed there anymore either so I don't know????

Sorry I can't be of more help but I'm kind of in the same boat as you now :(

Mike

current build

completed