HMC Sherbourne 1763 by Hollander-jan - Caldercraft - 1/64

I did some extensive research on swivel guns. And I came to the conclusion that they where, in my opinion support guns meanly for anti personal shots. So in the engagement ship to ship. When a ship was close enough the swivel gun was put into action to damage the ship with all sorts of loads. And on the other hand mainly to fight the seaman a board the engaging vessel. It was surely not a ship sinking gun, although a small  vessel was in danger even for this small gun. Based on this research I will make them detachable and transportable from side to side, or from bow to stern. Not in the way as this picture shows but is something similar way. In all of my research it not clear if this was the case on cutters but I can imagine that it was.  A small vessel as the Sherbourne must have spare on weight and ammunition to be fast and more guns would not support that, even as the the cost and the cost of crew to maintain and man them. So cutting on two or three swivel guns would be considerable as long as they where to use on either side ore on bow and stern. 

I invite every one to comment on my view, and to convince me of an other approach in the use of swivel guns aboard a ship like the Sherbourne.

post-8079-0-20456200-1394187049.jpg

Jan

• 1 month later...

Jan,

Sorry to hear you are unwell. Hope you get better soon, when your Sherbourne will be awaiting your return. We will be too. ;)

Kester

Current builds: Sherbourne (Caldercraft) scale – 1/64th;

Statsraad Lehmkuhl (half model) 1/8th" – 1'.

Victory Bow Section (Panart/Mantua) scale – 1/78th  (on hold).

Previous build: Bluenose ll (Billings) scale – 1/100th.

I hope the more the voices the speedier the recovery -- so I am adding my own voice to the chorus and look forward to when you can get back to the model, and, even more importantly than that, to better health.

Tony

Thank you all for the well wishes it is great to read them. Today I have put all the stuf and the boat, tools and so on in an ordened fasion in the drwawers of my desk and on shelfs in the study, the boat is in plastic because of the dust. :(  I hope to be back in the autem but I am not sure. I wish you all the best and happy building.

And thanks again for all you well wishes.

be seeing you on MSW.

Jan

• 1 year later...

Hello to all off you. After a verry long period of not feeling good Iplan to take up the build off my ship. Have to get in to it again and make myself  again familiar with the plan. This will take a week or so. My planning will be "take it easy" all the parst are in good condition but have to sort them out and see where I can get back in to the build again. I hope that all off you will give me advise when I come to questions and problems with the build for now I hope to see you on my log again as I get posts off my progress.

Jan

Wonderful news, Jan! I hope the health problems are now over. It's great to see you back. As usual, there's no rush, so I look forward to seeing your progress when you have the time.

Tony

• 1 month later...

No hurry, Jan. Just make sure everything's ok. Models can wait.

Tony

• The title was changed to HMC Sherbourne 1763 by Hollander-jan - Caldercraft - 1/64