H.M.S. Triton Cross Section by Long9Ron - Scale 1:48

Please be gentle with me as this is my very first build of any kind in 50 years. 

Okay, I have made most of my homemade tools such as a wood lathe, drum sander, thickness sander and table saw,

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/126-my-homemade-wood-lathe/

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/449-my-homemade-tools-long9ron/

Now I'm ready to go. Except that I would like to make a mini table saw soon. 

So I got some old wood that a buddy gave to me from an old broken down recliner chair. I don't know what kind of wood it is, but we think it may be Oak. I ripped it down to size and put it through the thickness sander and I think it looks pretty good.

I have made the Keel and the False Keel so far. I used the homemade scraper shown below to scrape out the rabbet on the Keel for the Garboard Plank to sit. The Keel shown below is my second attempt, the first one was not good at all because I used a utility blade to scrape the rabbet and made a mess of it.

More updates to come in the future;

Ron 

post-327-0-39869300-1361249420_thumb.jpg

post-327-0-14518500-1361249423_thumb.jpg

post-327-0-95942900-1361249425_thumb.jpg

post-327-0-51273200-1361249428_thumb.jpg

post-327-0-12182900-1361249431_thumb.jpg

Ron

Current Build: H.M.S. Triton Cross Section 1:48

Why is it that I always find out the best way to do something is after I have already done it the wrong way? - Me

Good start, Ron.  Like they say 'a journey of a thousand miles starts with the first step'.  Good luck on your journey, Ron.

"I've told you a million times, don't exaggerate   ;) "

Current builds:

H.M.S. TRITON Cross Section by Bbrockel - Scratch Build - Scale 1:48

US Brig Syren by Bbrockel - Model Shipways -Scale 1:64

Ron,

There's nothing to be gentle about...  :)  Your keel looks excellent.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Russ, Grant, Bob and Mark

Thanks for all the nice comments.

I have been busy in the garage making the keelson and trying an experiment on some sample pieces of timber. I was thinking of making the keel, false keel and keelson a darker color. I stained one piece with a dark walnut stain, but I don't know if I like the looks of it. It shows every little grain mark and flaw. Another piece of timber I used Canola Oil (thanks to the Admiral) and it looks very natural, but not as dark as I would have liked. I have loaded a couple on pictures below and would like to hear what you guys think, or if you have any other suggestions for making the timber look darker. Or should I just leave it natural looking, which is pretty light. The camera quality may not be great as it is from my cellphone cam. 

post-327-0-60804700-1361394264_thumb.jpg

post-327-0-17288000-1361394273_thumb.jpg

post-327-0-06483000-1361394282_thumb.jpg

Ron

Why is it that I always find out the best way to do something is after I have already done it the wrong way? - Me

Hi Ron, For me I prefer the lighter one but it's more about what you like.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

I also prefer the lighter, more natural color, but you are the captain. Your choice is what matters.

Russ

Hello Ron,your off to a good start.Funny I spent part of the day testing stains on oak and basswood.I will post pictures of the oak.

I have found that pre-stain conditioner,natural,and cherry are what I use most of the time.I have a hard time with the darker stains.Could be just me.  Larry

post-37-0-86266500-1361406480_thumb.jpg

post-37-0-51006300-1361406500_thumb.jpg

post-37-0-63034100-1361406542_thumb.jpg

With Age Comes Wisdom,I'm Still Waiting!

Current Builds:Syren.Triton Cross section.

Completed Builds: Virginia by AL

King of the Mississippi by AL

Constellation by AL

Thanks for the input Rusty, Pete, Russ and Larry.

Seeing that this is my first build I don't want it to get too complicated with stains and such, so I have decided to go with the natural look for now. I think it looks better myself. More experiments to come in the future. Anyway, I have a few more pictures below. I have made my jig and have mounted the keel. Also made a revolving table from a flat screen TV stand that I had laying around. Keiko the cat wanted to get into the picture. :)  Next step is to find some timber to do the frames. Also, had to reinforce my thickness sander, I had to much vibration in it. The board wasn't thick enough. 

post-327-0-96653800-1361408229_thumb.jpg

post-327-0-17251800-1361408239_thumb.jpg

post-327-0-41536200-1361408263_thumb.jpg

post-327-0-65260800-1361408267_thumb.jpg

post-327-0-90146600-1361408271_thumb.jpg

post-327-0-37323600-1361408285_thumb.jpg

post-327-0-70007700-1361408288_thumb.jpg

Ron

Looking good, Ron.  I like the approach your using of testing everything before doing it.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Great start,You should do very well with youir build    Larry

Constellation by AL

• 2 weeks later...

I've been busy in the garage making sawdust with my home-built mini thickness sander. I had a setback when the sanding drum broke on me and I had to make another one. You always build a better one the second time around. As I mentioned before the wood is from an old recliner rocker that I ripped to size and then put through my thickness sander.

Thickness Sander

post-327-0-72515700-1362766007.jpg

Once I got the wood to the right thickness, I put masking tape on each piece.

post-327-0-63475000-1362766104.jpg 

I then cut out all of the frames template pieces and then ran some paper glue on top of the masking tape and laid out all of the frame template pieces on each board. 

This is the glue that I used. I used masking tape on top of the wood so that after I cut the frame parts out with the jigsaw and sand them to the proper shape, I will be able to just peel the masking paper off and leave clean bare wood. No scraping glue off of the wood I hope.

post-327-0-34489300-1362766377_thumb.jpg

Here is a picture of all the frames template pieces laid out and glued onto each board ready to be cut.

post-327-0-68105400-1362766701.jpg

Closeup of same.

post-327-0-83397300-1362766730.jpg

Well that's all for now. Next step will be to cut all of the pieces out and do some sanding and then make the frames. I will post as I go along.

Ron

Nice work, Ron.  Love the thickness sander.  Very well build.  Thanks for wharing.  Now you get to stand in front of your scroll saw for a while..  LOL

"I've told you a million times, don't exaggerate   ;) "

Current builds:

H.M.S. TRITON Cross Section by Bbrockel - Scratch Build - Scale 1:48

US Brig Syren by Bbrockel - Model Shipways -Scale 1:64

Snowmans

As far as the masking tape goes. I hope it will work without tearing. I placed glue on the masking tape and then after placing the templates I smeared another layer over the templates and let them dry over night and a day. So will will see if it works. I will let you know.

Pete38 and Bob

The thickness sander worked good until the drum broke under all that sanding. Had to build a better drum and used my DIY Homemade lathe to turn the drum down. It worked great also. Should work good for turning my pillars and such.

Grant

Just pick up a used Craftsman Scroll Saw (16") today for $35.00. Going to clean it up and put a new blade in it and try it out on some sample pieces before I cut out the frame pieces. I think that would be a great idea first. Will let you know how it works later.

Ron

Ron

Nice buy on the sears jig saw.

Several folks like rubber cement to hold down the frame paper while cutting, cleans up easy.

Later 42rocker

Edited by 42rocker

Current Build -- Finishing a 1:1 House that I've been building for a while

Current Build -- Triton Cross Section

Rubber cement is a good idea. It is really easy to clean up and it dos not distort the patterns. The paper peels off and what is left can be rubbed off either with your fingers or, if it is really on there tough, then an eraser will work.

What bothers me about the paper glue is that it looks like typical PVA glue and that can distort the patterns. Please be careful that the individual shapes are not distorted in any way.

Russ

42rocker and Russ

Thanks for the great tip. I will have to give that a try in the future. Too late to change it over right now. I was very careful when I put in on not to distort and of the frame paper. I will be cutting them out tomorrow and will update you as to how it went. Any particular brand of rubber cement to use? 

Ron

Ron

Any, just make sure that it's not dry in the can when you buy it. Yes, it happens. I got my last good stuff at a drafting/print shop. Did get some on sale one time at a big name craft shop, now you know how I know about dried out in the can, good sale price.. Spread out the rubber cement, best fresh. No lumps.

Later 42rocker

Current Build -- Finishing a 1:1 House that I've been building for a while

Current Build -- Triton Cross Section

I usually get the Elmer's brand and have never had a problem with it. Once it has been opened, it does have a shelf life, but mine usually lasts the better part of a year. Climate may play a part in that, though.

Russ

You can also buy Rubber Cement Thinner which wiill reconstitute the cement if starts drying out.  It is, shall we say, nasty stuff.  Keep away from flames and use in a well-ventilated area.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Very nice work Ron.I think you will have a beautiful build.   Larry

Constellation by AL

Thanks Larry for the kind words. 

I have been busy again in the garage, cutting and sanding and building frames. Have to make a Zero insert for the Scroll Saw. I found out that with the way it is the wood will chip on the ends, due to not enough support under the wood piece. Learn as you go. 

post-327-0-30754800-1363035630.jpg

post-327-0-88822300-1363035664.jpg

This is a picture of my very first frame. It turned out okay, but I think I could have done better.

post-327-0-72214300-1363035710.jpg

This is the same frame just loose in the jig.   The Keel joint is a little sloppy, there is a shadow on the left hand side because of the camera angle.

post-327-0-73233900-1363035761.jpg

Well back to work, another eight more to go. It sure takes a lot of time to make these frames.

Ron