H.M.S. Triton Cross Section by Long9Ron - Scale 1:48

Ron,

The length is your choice just as the planking lengths.  Some do scale planking lengths with butt joints, others plank with no joints.  It's about what you want the build to be, to learn and to have some fun along the way.

How's that for a non-answer?  :)  :) :)  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Ron,

make the limber boards in one length, then cut them into the appropriate size pieces. Drill small holes on the centre line of your cuts first, then cut them. The holes provided access for a tool between the individual boards to pull them up.

Regards,

Grant.

Mark

Nice answer..  :)

Grant

I made the new limber boards and drilled holes every 5 feet and then sawed a line across them for drainage and handling. I think they will look okay. 

Next step is to apply Danish Oil to this point once I have masked the areas off that will require glue. 

Question: I have the Lower Beams ready with the right camber and was wondering if it is best to glue them in place first before cutting s the notches for the carlings or should I cut the notches first and then glue the beams into place? 

Ron

Current Build: H.M.S. Triton Cross Section 1:48

Why is it that I always find out the best way to do something is after I have already done it the wrong way? - Me

Cut the notches before installing the beams. Make sure those are right before you glue any of the beams in.

Russ

Cut the notches before installing the beams. Make sure those are right before you glue any of the beams in.

Russ

Thanks Russ

Ron

Why is it that I always find out the best way to do something is after I have already done it the wrong way? - Me

Ron,

I'm with Russ, it's easier off the model and less likely to damage anything. My x section is not a perfect match for the plans, so I marked out the position of the notches with all the beams pinned in place on the clamps (rather than using the plans to mark them). That way everything was in correct alignment.

Regards,

Grant.

Just an update here.

I have replaced the limber boards with new ones and have drainage holes on them. I think they look okay. Also I have now finished all the toothpicks (treenails) to this point and have applied one coat so far of Antique Oil to the planks. Will have about 3 or 4 coats in total. 

post-327-0-31063700-1365481912_thumb.jpg

post-327-0-96833600-1365481913_thumb.jpg

I have also decided to redo my deck beams. They were made of Douglas Fir and now they will be made of Oak. The Knees and Carlings etc. will also be of Oak. The Douglas Fir in my opinion is too soft to use, the Oak will be better for the joints. Working on cutting the knees etc. now and sanding and setting the camber on the new beams. Will update later.

Ron

Ron I love your re-do,great work.    Larry

With Age Comes Wisdom,I'm Still Waiting!

Current Builds:Syren.Triton Cross section.

Completed Builds: Virginia by AL

King of the Mississippi by AL

Constellation by AL

Nice work Ron!

I´ve seen do not Know where that they used to put a rod with a pair of sticks to remove the limber boards. Would be a nice detail.

Regards.

Daniel. Cutting and cutting patterns...

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update on the build.

I replaced the Douglas Fir beams that I had already made and bent to the proper camber with Oak ones. I believe they look a lot better and are stronger. I have cut all of the carlings and ledges and have managed to install the pillars and beams for the lower deck. I have started to work my way across the deck by cutting the joints by hand using an Exacto knife ( thanks to Rusty for the tutorial ). It's a little awkward but it can be done and I think it doesn't look too bad. Not worried about the gaps too much as I will be planking the whole deck.

post-327-0-73789200-1367006323_thumb.jpg

post-327-0-13699000-1367006325_thumb.jpg

post-327-0-39795300-1367006326_thumb.jpg

Ron

• 1 month later...

Since my last post I have been working my way along the lower deck.

Boy, I should have listened to Russ and cut all of the notches before mounting the beams. Well, I didn't and I tell you I had so much trouble cutting the notches for the carlings and ledges that I will never do it again that way. I had the beams in place and glued in, and I cut each notch with an Exacto knife. The notches had very bad gaps so I filled them in with my Triton sawdust and glue combination. Looks bad.

Although I am a little embarrassed about the sloppiness of my notches and my broken knees, I will post these pictures in order to show future model ship builders, the way not to do it. I must keep telling myself that this is my first build and that I am no expert at all. This is just a learning process that I am going through at this stage. The next build will be better and the next one after that will be better. I am learning as I go and by posting my pictures of the faults that I have made with this build, will someday help others and will teach me of better ways to approach certain items of each build.

So anyway, here are some pictures. Please do point out the mistakes to me so that I will know better next time. Thanks

post-327-0-92009600-1371160778_thumb.jpg

post-327-0-36122700-1371160780_thumb.jpg

post-327-0-86193300-1371160781_thumb.jpg

post-327-0-50123300-1371160783_thumb.jpg

post-327-0-97278400-1371160784_thumb.jpg

post-327-0-59932800-1371160786_thumb.jpg

post-327-0-15084700-1371160788_thumb.jpg

Ron

Ron,

as you say, it's a learning experience and the next time will be better. You have a great attitude, so I'm sure the gun deck framing will be far better. Do you intend "burying" the framing by completely planking over it?

I just noticed the hanging knees are missing, they should be in by now.

Regards,

Grant.

I would advise putting the lower deck hanging knees in as well.

The framing looks okay. As Grant said, live and learn. We have all been there. I am usually there on weekdays. :)

Russ

As you said, this is your first build...considering that....I think it looks pretty good.......a few gaps here and there but it all looks fairly straight and in line from the photos.

Hope that I can do as good when the time comes.   Next deck will be better from your experience with this one...

One more thing........Don't know if I would have went with the green for the entire bottom half...... :D

Great Job

Triton Cross Section 1:32

SEE YA LATER

im-outta-here-bye-bye-smiley-emoticon.gi

Thanks for the kind words. 

Grant

I hope the gun deck will be better too. Yes, I will be planking the whole deck. I know that the hanging knees are not in yet, but, will put them in as soon as I cut and shape them. Will be a little while, but I did not forget about them. 

Russ

I should have listened to you for sure. Live and learn. I'm a 24/7 guy. 

Pete

You do a far better build than I do. Green is a nice color, it would have matched the color of the faces on the Tars when they were in rough seas.  :)

Anyway, I have decided to do a couple of other changes to my build, seeing that this will be my experimental build. Will post them when I'm finished.

Ron

Ron,

She's looking good.  Planking does hide a lot of sins.  I know that oh so well.

I think most of us are still there... :)  We make mistakes and then we either cover them up or fix them.   The learning curve is steep but fun and you've got the right attitude. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Still all in all it looks good. One of the problems is that we have so many other builders doing great builds that sometimes we are too hard on ourselves.

Remember Enjoy your build.

Later 42rocker

Current Build -- Finishing a 1:1 House that I've been building for a while

Current Build -- Triton Cross Section

• 3 weeks later...

It's been awhile since my last post, but I have been doing a couple of changes on my build. I decided that since this is my first and experimental build, I would change the look a bit. So, the following pictures will explain themselves. I'm learning a lot about how not to do things and will carry those over to my next build. This build is not very good in my opinion, and I hope to do a lot better on the next one. But hey, I'm learning as I go, and that's one of the main things.

Have the hanging knees installed. They are all different sizes etc. Bad job, but I guess they look okay for this deck.

post-327-0-19574000-1372612539_thumb.jpg

post-327-0-93883500-1372612540_thumb.jpg

Sanded the planking again and decided to stain some planks. I like the look but oh man what a job that was. Lesson learned - stain the wood first and use the proper wood before you install it.

post-327-0-84544200-1372612564_thumb.jpg

Use the proper wood next time. <<<< DO NOT TRY TO STAIN AFTERWARDS>>>>

post-327-0-27211700-1372612567_thumb.jpg

I'm learning that if I have the proper tools in the first place, I would have had a way better build. The joints would have been better and the build could have been quicker. 

Oh well, live and learn.  :)

Ron

Sorry to disagree with you Ron.

I do like the pics. The model has somehow "spirit". There is not need allways to be so neat and clean. When you see pictures of the old ships like in the book of Lambert "The last sailing fleet" (Conway, I think) all the interiors look rusty with hundreds of lays of paint, different sizes of wood, kind of dirty... I like the contrast of the taint woods and the unpainted on your Triton. Looks real.

Best wishes!

Daniel.

P.S. http://www.amazon.com/books/dp/0851775918  (I got mine for 20€ in a book shop at Madrid., Did not realize the prize of if till now!!! Amazing...)

Edited by harvey1847

Ron...I will have to agree with Daniel....

I like the look of your cross section...every individual puts their own touch on the model

But as you said this is a learning experience for most of us   [me include]....so we will just put a different "touch" on our next build

Keep up the good work :dancetl6:

Triton Cross Section 1:32

SEE YA LATER

im-outta-here-bye-bye-smiley-emoticon.gi

Daniel and Pete

Thank you for your kinds words. It does have a distinctive look about it, I agree. Maybe it will turn out okay in the end. Time will tell. 

Ron

Ron, I actually like the look, but as you already said, as long as you learn something from every mistake you make in this hobby, then whatever happens its worth it.

Ben

Thanks Ben

Your right. As long as I learn from my mistakes, and there have been many. So, I'm learning a lot.  :)

Ron