HMS Victory by gil middleton - FINISHED - Caldercraft - 1:72

With any luck, I won't drop the ship in the process.

Do NOT make me scared!

Great work, especially the pig stick is wonderful detail!

Daniel

To victory and beyond! http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/76-hms-victory-by-dafi-to-victory-and-beyond/

See also our german forum for Sailing Ship Modeling and History: http://www.segelschiffsmodellbau.com/

Finest etch parts for HMS Victory 1:100 (Heller Kit) and other useful bits.

http://dafinismus.de/index_en.html

I can't believe it's been six years...........wow!    this is such a great log on this vessel Gil.........anyone who chooses to build her would do well in referring to this log,  for any answers they might be looking for!   you've put so much into her....some really great detail!

a call????   I'd be more than Honored!  .........but you don't EVEN want to come 'round here right now........we're in the beginnings of one nasty looking blizzard !   keep 'er moored!  I've already tipped one or two in your Honor!  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

First, a sincere thanks to John (Neptune) and Ian Major (private communication) for pointing out my mistake. I believe the Union Jack is now flying right side up.

post-68-0-85073600-1422512284_thumb.jpgpost-68-0-80319400-1422512304_thumb.jpg

David (Shipyard Sid), You are extremely kind in your remarks. I keep adding photos which seems like I am squeezing a lot of mileage from the build. However, I've noticed that most of the photos deal with details, with little overview. (To follow).

Nick, Many thanks. As for guidance, I've picked up as much or more than I've added on this great website.

.Monkeyman, Thank you so much. Don't worry, we all started with little experience.  At 81, I've picked up a few techniques and tricks...........Now if I can just remember them.  By the way I am enjoying your journey with the Titanic's lifeboat.

Dave, The champagne is already chilled. Looking forward to seeing you, but don't forget to bring your Bluenose.

Daniel, Haven't dropped it yet, But..............................

Popeye, The news reports on your weather is truly sobering. If I told you Seattle has been sunny with temperatures topping 60 degrees, you'd never believe me. Thanks very much for your kind comments. It's nice to have a friend in every port. A wee dram would be lovely, but I'll call first.

Cheers, Gil

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/485-hmsHMS Victory by Gil Middleton - JoTika - 1:72

The following are a few photos with an overview of the model. A few clips attached to lines and a flag to be redone.  Vern from our Puget Sound Ship Modelers made available a beautiful walnut board with exquisite grain markings for a base. Unfortunately, it is a few inches too short so the search goes on.

The ship still on it's lazy Susan.

post-68-0-29252200-1422514061_thumb.jpgpost-68-0-54212300-1422514076_thumb.jpgpost-68-0-93138000-1422514091_thumb.jpgpost-68-0-43381400-1422514116_thumb.jpgpost-68-0-44743900-1422514131_thumb.jpgpost-68-0-85071800-1422514145_thumb.jpgpost-68-0-83306100-1422514159_thumb.jpg

Edited by gil middleton

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/485-hmsHMS Victory by Gil Middleton - JoTika - 1:72

Hope you are prepared for a flood of messages

Absolutely stunning, beautiful, what a masterpiece.......    WOW!

Alan O'Neill
"only dead fish go with the flow"   :dancetl6:

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Associate member of the Nautical Research and Model Ship Society (2021)

Offshore member of The Society of Model Shipwrights (2021)

Hello Gil..

There are probably no accolades left to describe your fantastic rendition of HMS Victory.  I'm so happy that we live a few thousand miles apart because there is little likelihood that your Victory and mine will ever appear side by side.  I'm sure I've thanked you before for tutoring me and the many other Victory builders but I feel I need one last time to express my appreciation.  I sincerely look forward to your next modelling endeavor.  Best to you,

Jerry

Gil, absolutely amazing and beautiful - your workmanship is inspiring. I've learned a lot from your build log. Thanks for sharing it with us. Beautiful photography as well.  May I ask what the overall dimensions of the finished model are?

Monkeyman, Thank you so much. Don't worry, we all started with little experience.  At 81, I've picked up a few techniques and tricks...........Now if I can just remember them.  By the way I am enjoying your journey with the Titanic's lifeboat.

Thank you, my friend, for kind words. In the country I came from we don't usually support each other, but more like critisize like "Oh, duck, you're such a wuss! Go clean the streets!". So any encouraging stuff from professionals like yourself is more than welcome and helps to improve. Really appreciate that.

Nicely done.  I have learned much from your log.  It will be a must see for anyone building the Vic.  I am glad you had fun and enjoyment building it.

David B

Your build is a work of art.

Mort

Current Build - Caldercraft Victory

Completed - Artesiana Latina Swift, Harvey, MGS Prince de Neufchatel, Imai USS Susquehanna, Mamoli Constitution, Rattlesnake per Hunt Practium, Caldercraft Snake, Diana, Kammerlander Duke William 

Waiting to be Launched -  Bluejacket Constitution

Proud member of The New Jersey Ship Model Society

So many friends and so many nice comments. A bit overwhelming. My sincere thanks to each of you.  With less to do on the victory, I'm enjoying perusing other's logs.

Alan, You've heightened my interest in my CAD program but clearly I've a lot to learn.  Fascinating.

Jack, the overall dimensions are: LOA 56", width of the Main Yard 19" and height 38".  Rather large, but the case will be even larger. Which of course raises the question of where to put it in our condo. " Well honey, we could get rid of the dining room table and............................."  Perhaps I shouldn't go there.

It will be some time before she is on display in her case, but I'll post the results.

Cheers, Gil

We had a modeler in our club who built a model and put it in a case in his living room.  The only way it wil ever get out is by either widening the door or taking out his window.

David B

Hi Gil.. I designed the case with a removeable back.  This made it much easier to get the ship into the case.  As you know, I had the acrylic display case built for me and they were able to get it through the front door with no problem.  One thing:  The overall with  of the main yard on my model is 20.5 inches.  I double checked the plans and found that to be true.  Hope you are having a nice weekend..GO SEAHAWKS  !!!!

Jerry

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Gil, I couldn't resist but from the day of the baptizing of your Victory I have some pictures.

Everyone let me introduce the builder of this magnificent ship.

The following four pictures is from his ship and the detailing he put in to this.

post-967-0-71900600-1433715211_thumb.jpg

post-967-0-90998000-1433715316_thumb.jpg

post-967-0-80129800-1433715514_thumb.jpg

post-967-0-45099400-1433715721_thumb.jpg

post-967-0-35872800-1433715806_thumb.jpg

Edited by Nirvana

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

• 4 weeks later...

Many thanks Mike. As you might surmise, I have been negligent on Model Ship World, redirecting my efforts to the real ship.  Repairing a couple areas of dry rot, resurfacing the upper deck, adding non-skid so the old fellow won'y fall overboard, etc.   We're planning on spending August and September up the B.C. coast.  I'm waiting for the case to be built and will add photos when it's finished.

Per, so many thanks for the photos.  I realized after the "launching" party, that we hadn't taken any photographs.  I was so enamored by Shelley's magnificent performance on his 250 year old violin, and the good company with Champagne, that photos were forgotten.

Cheers, Gil

Gil - good morning - I hope you are well, my build has now reached page three of you log,  its great to be back and taking her forward towards completion

Edited by Kevin

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Hi Gil, I'd like to give you a very big compliment for your Victory. Even though I may build it in a different way, namely without color, I am excited about your log and the way you work. How accurate you work - especially in the small details of the ship. WOW! Not least your photos have convinced me to take the step and to build a Victory on my own. 

I would be very happy, if you take a look at my Victory and give me a few tips. Many Thanks and respect!!!

- Heinz -

• 2 months later...

Hello Gil, I have built two kits, the first one was Juan Sebastian Elcano and the second one which I have just finished, was bluenose II. My ambition is to build HMS Victory and was going through some builds to get an idea what it involves. I came across your build and it is just stunning. With so much detail I can refer to I am even more eager now to take the plunge. Not that I will be anywhere near your level of craftsmanship but I'm sure I will find your posts of great help. It is very nice of you to take so much of your time to share your build and go in so much detail. Congratulations and thank you again for sharing.

Robert

• 1 month later...

Kevin and Heinz,  My sincere apologies.  We were traveling in July and through August and September cruising up the British Columbia coast in Canada. Finally I'm getting back to catching up on build logs.

Kevin, your log brings back memories of challenges, and occasional solutions.  What fun.  Glad you're back and making great progress on the Victory.

Heinz, thank you for your very kind comments. I look forward to following your log, but could not find a log under Heinz746 on MSW. Is there a different reference?

Robert, Your Bluenose II is a work of art.  A friend of mine was the project manager in the reconstruction of the Bluenose II, which I followed with great interest.  While you take on HMS Victory, I may just have fun with the Bluenose, probably the original.

Cheers, Gil

Hello Gil, 

thank you for answering! I hope you had a really wonderful journey!

I am not sure if its allowed to place links here. But this is the link to my log:

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/7706-hms-victory-by-heinz746/

I am very excited about your opinion of my Victory...

- Heinz -

Gil,

Are you trying to make me jealous?
I know what you have been up to, that business card you gave me says it all......... :)

I am glad you had a good time off-shore.

Just wish I could have enjoy such time too........ :P

Respectfully

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Gil,

Thank you for your nice comment. Have fun on the original Bluenose.

Cheers

Robert

• 4 months later...

At long last, the "Victory" is settled into her permanent home, which gives back the work space in the den.  While the model seemed rather large, the case seems massive.  But more on that later. 

My first case was a proprietary case put together with tempered glass (to avoid shards of glass with active grandkids) on an Oak table I made for support. Tempering glass distorts it slightly so the fit is less than perfect.  The "Cutty Sark" found it's home in our office.

post-68-0-64118900-1457391707_thumb.jpg

The second case was put together using brass "L"  3/8" and a black walnut base obtained from American Marine Gallery, Gloucester, MA.  This preserves and displays the "USS Constitution" with tempered glass, glued by silicone as in an aquarium, with the glue joints covered by the brass "L". This required cutting down the base and using a router for the glass channel, and again a walnut table to display it.  By lifting the top, the front panel is removable. The entry hall got this one.

post-68-0-37547800-1457392515_thumb.jpgpost-68-0-86971500-1457392669_thumb.jpgpost-68-0-71388400-1457392699_thumb.jpg

Finally, the "HMS Victory" being even larger required a bigger case. Living in a condo does impose limits on work space and the use of power tools, so I elected to have the case built by Raven Arts in Seabec, Washington.  It seems rather massive, but is a work of art with mahogany and black walnut, museum quality acrylic, internal LED lighting and an opening back panel.  Being the largest, the "Victory" chose the favored location, the living room.

post-68-0-99479500-1457394202_thumb.jpgpost-68-0-37281000-1457394232_thumb.jpgpost-68-0-95383000-1457394254_thumb.jpgpost-68-0-68583600-1457394273_thumb.jpgpost-68-0-10373700-1457394291_thumb.jpgpost-68-0-40056900-1457394325_thumb.jpgpost-68-0-30899000-1457394366_thumb.jpgpost-68-0-57535900-1457394389_thumb.jpgpost-68-0-76683300-1457394407_thumb.jpg

So where, oh where does the next one go?  Did I mention that we are thinking of downsizing?  Perhaps it is time for miniature models.  Cheers, Gil

Gil, those are nice very nice cases. Making justice to both HMS Victory and Connie. Hmm, you downsizing, is that possible....lol

Respectfully

Gil, thanks for showing me what my Victory will [might] look like some day - years from now, I hope. Lovely model and beautiful case.

Best, Ian

Edited by Seventynet