HMS Warrior by StuartC - Billing Boats - 1:100 - started 1/1/2014

beautiful ship Stuart,

wish you much fun with masting and rigging (steam / sailship)

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

• 2 weeks later...

very nice progress Stwart.....looking sweet!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi,

As always thank you for the comments and support.  Latest update is the Bowsprit is now rigged as far as I can at present, so I'm now well under way with the Fore mast, and the spars are drying in their new colours. I find this part of the build one of the most rewarding, as you complete each stage you can see a significant change.

post-751-0-95122200-1469392031_thumb.jpg

post-751-0-44132700-1469392040_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

good build and progress Stuart,

a very nice looking ship

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

thanks to everyone for the kind comments and likes.  I thought that this was a suitable time to post a latest progress shot as tomorrow is the third anniversary for this build. As you can see I've made some inroads into the standing rigging and I'm currently working on the dead eyes.  A tip for anybody doing this one in future would be to leave the gun port covers until the rigging is complete as I've managed to knock about 50% of them off so far.

Finally a Happy New Year to you all  :cheers:

post-751-0-90227700-1483195362_thumb.jpg

has the look that there isn't too much head room.........standing rigging looks awesome though  ;)    hope you had a super holiday!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

• 2 months later...

wonderful progress Stuart.......the rigging will enhance her looks greatly.   very nice! :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/02/2014 at 2:24 PM, StuartC said:

Glyn,

Your a star,  :D  the pictures you've sent are an absolute god send.  I've attached a picture of the planking provided for the decks, the colour in the picture seems to have remained true to the actual strips.

post-751-0-02964900-1392387680_thumb.jpg

Hi Just wondering if you know what material this is?  I am about to start my build of this but want to put margin planks in.  The instructions refer to the material as a reference number 3258L but there is no cross referance so have no clue what material it is.

Current Builds

San Francisco II 

it's what they call Annegre.......Billing Boats and a few other manufacturers supply it in their kits.  I'm told it's a light colored mahogany,  although I've never bothered to research it.   for deck planking,  I might suggest using crayon.   you will need to do some scraping before you lay it down {to get the major crayon crumbs off},  but when you lightly sand it,  the crayon will work it's way into the wood,  and give it a nice hue.   semi gloss lacquer is what I use as a sealer.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...

nice ti see the build back

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Welcome back Stuart. Nice to see you back at the bench and bringing this beauty along.

• 10 months later...

Hi Stuart. Just finished HMS Warrior and thought you might consider some of the extras I added to the kit. I know its to late for gun deck cannons and lighting but I made all the other tenders and extra rope work which I found the kit sorely missing. When it came to the hammock racks around the gunwale I used 3mm dowel cut slightly short of the recess then wrapped the canvas around and tucked any loss ends in the gaps. You have to bend a few lengths to follow the bow line. I think if you go to Facebook and search for HMS Warrior you should come up with my build. Regards John Cook  

Kits completed:-

HMS Bounty

HMS Terror

HMS Fly

HMS Warrior

Mississippi Paddle steamer

HMS Bellona