HMS Warrior by StuartC - Billing Boats - 1:100 - started 1/1/2014

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Glyn,

Went and had a look in prop shop, and a few others, unfortunately I cannot find anything suitable. However I have found a place that will do custom brass castings. I've already made the wooden version, so I sent an email off asking for a price. I'll let you know the cost once I've recovered :o

• 2 weeks later...

I've hit a bit of a hitch. As I was nearing the end of doing the deck ( I swear I've lived in bedrooms with less floor space), I kept on ignoring the obvious, with the endlessly optimistic  "of course they have provided enough wood". After trying to contact Billings all week with no response to emails, I've ordered what I hope will match what is already laid

post-751-0-73117500-1407096041_thumb.jpg

post-751-0-59141600-1407096052_thumb.jpg

post-751-0-62240900-1407096066_thumb.jpg

I am following this with interest as 'one day' it is a ship I would really like to build. I think the physical size of the model does convey some of its wonderment people must have thought when the original ship was seen for the first time..  very impressed with the planking around the bow.

HMAV Bounty 'Billings' completed  

HMS Cheerful - Syren-Chuck' completed :)

Steam Pinnace 199 'Billings bashed' - completed

HMS Ledbury F30 --White Ensign -completed 😎

HMS Vanguard 'Victory models'-- completed :)

Bismarck Amati 1/200 --underway  👍

nice job on the planking.....very well done! shame that you've run into a snag like that......I hardly ever had a problem at all, dealing with Billing....now that the Wisconsin site {USA} is gone....I lost a good friend! you could also try here.....it's in the US.

http://www.agesofsail.com/ecommerce/

Roger bought the business.....Billing USA is still up and running

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hi Glyn,

The caulking on my timbers is the most basic method of all, a black marker pen run down the side of one of the pieces. I found this a bit too heavy on the smaller models I've done, and on them I used pencil.

I forgot to post about the prop. I found a foundry that will do bespoke castings, I am providing the wooden version. For an unpolished casting in brass, the cost is £20.00 ish, for a polished version would be another £20.00

Regards

Stuart.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally finished planking the deck, couldn't get hold of the same wood - annegre-, got absolutely no response from Billings, so I gave in and used the off cuts to make up the required planking. Fortunately once sanded down the joints are all but invisible.

From there I've fitted the deck trim.

Whilst that has being going on I have been tremendously lucky to stumble upon www.monkmanfoundries.com, spoke to a chap called Steve, who said they could cast brass propellers for me. Talk about service, sent the wooden version to them on Monday, just received today (Saturday) not one, but two castings, for the same price. Steve said that this was in case anything went wrong whilst I was polishing the finished product. What a player :cheers:

post-751-0-60213200-1408205024_thumb.jpg

post-751-0-64318200-1408208570_thumb.jpg

Apologies for being a latecomer Stuart :blush: Your build is coming on fabulously B) I think the large size of the model,even at 1/100 is testimony to how large the vessel actually was.It is a good number of years since I visited the original,but will no doubt pay her another visit as I am keen to see the Mary Rose in her new surroundings.The brass foundry is a great find and I have bookmarked them for future reference,they are only down the road from me.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Currently working on Royal Caroline

very nice build Stuart,

Looks like Billing Boats brought out a fine kit

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

That is a touch that's makes such a difference to the finished model.... do you mind saying if it was very expensive getting the prop made?

That is a touch that's makes such a difference to the finished model.... do you mind saying if it was very expensive getting the prop made?

Ian It was £20 plus £5 postage from www.monkmanfoundries.com can't recommend them highly enough.

Late comer Stuart.

Great job there shipmate.

Like your planking in that scale, 2mm is it.

I assume by now you have enuff  pictures, plus drawings of this ship.

Lovely work :rolleyes:

Cheers foxy :piratebo5:

Hi Foxy, I've been really lucky with the support I've been getting, loads of pictures sent, which has helped tremendously. However if you have got any more

pictures drawings etc let me know. You can never have too much  :)

wow that is good.. I have booked mark them and will do something similar when I get onto my next project as it could do with several small parts made in brass as I know the kit comes with the bits in plastic and need painting brass coloured.  :)

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't been posting any updates, because I thought I would wait until there was some noticeable progress. However I have added hundreds of bits, painted them black, and they all seem to disappear :o. So this is where we are, initial bow fitting complete, chain plates on and hammock stowage's in progress

post-751-0-84521500-1409858673_thumb.jpg

post-751-0-66663500-1409858695_thumb.jpg

Nice update. Painting looks good and seems black turns things a little bit obscure. :P

• 3 weeks later...

I've hit a bit of a hitch. As I was nearing the end of doing the deck ( I swear I've lived in bedrooms with less floor space), I kept on ignoring the obvious, with the endlessly optimistic  "of course they have provided enough wood". After trying to contact Billings all week with no response to emails, I've ordered what I hope will match what is already laid

the joggling of the deck is very nice indeed  :)

Current Builds

San Francisco II 

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Jase, 

I should really read the full post, and not just the PM before replying. I see now you are not  quite based down south  :blush:.  My inlaws live in Portchester, and I keep promising to get down there, but life keeps on getting in the way. There's always next year. In the meantime thanks again for the offer.

Cheers 

Stuart.

I'm a late comer too. But, wow, what a fantastic model. So elegant and so very well made. I'll be following.

Cheers

Alistair

Current Build - HMS Fly by aliluke - Victory Models - 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34180-hms-fly-by-aliluke-victory-models-164/

Previous Build  - Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Previous Build - Dutch Whaler by Sergal (hull only, no log)

Stuart,

good Job on your HMS Warrior, fine and clean built, Looks great

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50